Lean.In - My trackbike thread

Lean.In.

question. Fuel overflow...from the fuel tank drain tube on the bike? or the fuel tank vent tube? Im assuming the drain, but I dont know for sure....

Got the bottles all mounted up though. The front fairing and lower are mounted up. mmmmm...almost time for a test ride up and down my road...haha.

sasrocks

Lean.In.;170963 wrote: question. Fuel overflow...from the fuel tank drain tube on the bike? or the fuel tank vent tube? Im assuming the drain, but I dont know for sure....

Got the bottles all mounted up though. The front fairing and lower are mounted up. mmmmm...almost time for a test ride up and down my road...haha.
answer. dont need a fuel overflow bottle. certainly not one that big for coolant either. you're going out for 20 minutes at a time, not a 6 hr endurance race. you wont be boiling over (you have a problem that needs to be fixed if you do). or using more than a gallon or so of fuel at a time.

Lean.In.

The coolant overflow is no bigger than the stock overflow so Im not worried about that. But I get your point.

And roger about the fuel. I know the AMA guys run fuel overflows...why do they have them?

Lean.In.

Per the AMA rulebook: "Fuel tank vent lines must have a device which prevents the escape
of gasoline."

So its the vent line they run to an overflow I guess.

sasrocks

yep, its in the regs for them. Even given the tanks don't typically start out full for a DSB sprint, they dont want the possibility for any gas venting into the air, ground or riders visors which could potentially happen. I may be talking out my ass, but the G forces those guys generate during braking, cornering etc. are constant and extreme compared to track day riding. Any small volume of fuel that might be vented in a track day situation (assuming equipment is functioning correctly) will go unnoticed, unless you just want to have a catch bottle to have it.;)

Saltman

Seems like this offseason and idle hands have certainly played a part in all this hard work you're doing! I feel ya. I'm anxious too. However, I on the other hand, am just shopping for trailer supplies and spare parts. :)

Lean.In.

^Truth. I have time and materials, so im just workin on whatever. Drilling and safety wire are today. Got some brews and some friends comin over to chill, a kerosene heater in the garage, and Im just gonna knock it out.

Any other ideas for stuff to do? MX-wise? Im starting to get shaky waiting for April!

Saltman

LOL. Looks like you got it all covered. I was at Home Depot yesterday during my lunch break. Supposed to take 30 mins. I was in there for 1 1/2 hours looking for stuff and supplies to use. I get the trailer next month and want to get all the supplies ready before I start to put it together. Also, between searching the classifieds and CL, I bought a back protector, a ramp, a hitch, and alot of other odds and ins for this season.

Have you made a track-day budget spreadsheet yet? Or an itemized list of all the stuff you need aka (want) for the bike and a list of everything to bring for the trackday?

noobinacan

Saltman;171057 wrote: Seems like this offseason and idle hands have certainly played a part in all this hard work you're doing! I feel ya. I'm anxious too. However, I on the other hand, am just shopping for trailer supplies and spare parts. :)
I got bearings on order from Bearing distributors for my harbor freight by the way :p
finally going to replace the cheapo Chinese bearings I got in there now that are two years old.

Saltman;171107 wrote: LOL. Looks like you got it all covered. I was at Home Depot yesterday during my lunch break. Supposed to take 30 mins. I was in there for 1 1/2 hours looking for stuff and supplies to use. I get the trailer next month and want to get all the supplies ready before I start to put it together. Also, between searching the classifieds and CL, I bought a back protector, a ramp, a hitch, and alot of other odds and ins for this season.

Have you made a track-day budget spreadsheet yet? Or an itemized list of all the stuff you need aka (want) for the bike and a list of everything to bring for the trackday?

lol been making a excel list recently so I don't forget some small part and then wait on shipping etc :/
and even after having a list, missed seals for one of the calipers (face to palm)

Lean.In.;171061 wrote:
^Truth. I have time and materials, so im just workin on whatever. Drilling and safety wire are today. Got some brews and some friends comin over to chill, a kerosene heater in the garage, and Im just gonna knock it out.

Any other ideas for stuff to do? MX-wise? Im starting to get shaky waiting for April!

yeah, watch all the 2010 races and get psych'd and start trippin out and pacing back and forth.

Lean.In.

No I dont have a list, but that would probably be a great idea. Theres still some stuff I have to buy, but Im trying to spread it out over the next 2 months....generator, gazebo thing for shade, camper top for the truck, boots.

I have a question...say you are alone coming to a trackday. Whenever you are out on the track do you lock up all your stuff? Do I have to worry about throwing stands in the truck or chairs or whatever else everytime? I dont want to sound like I dont trust everyone at an event, but facing reality, stuff happens. Just curious.

Got almost everything safety'd...caliper bolts, brake pad pins, oil drain / filler / filter, front axle pinch bolts, axle bolt. Need to get the rear exhaust bracket bolts (per WERA). Also, do the lower tripple pinch bolts get safety'd??? Anything on the clip ons?

Pics in the next post...

Lean.In.

IMG00147-20110204-1811.jpg

IMG00150-20110204-1814.jpg

IMG00152-20110204-1923.jpg

jfeagin

Lean.In.;171134 wrote: ...I have a question...say you are alone coming to a trackday. Whenever you are out on the track do you lock up all your stuff? Do I have to worry about throwing stands in the truck or chairs or whatever else everytime? I dont want to sound like I dont trust everyone at an event, but facing reality, stuff happens. Just curious...
I've never bothered to secure all that stuff. I do have some hiding places for things like the wallet, cash, etc. First time I went to NJMP I'd just heard about a bike theft there, so I brought a cable and lock for overnight. I also kept my key fob in a pocket and locked the car during the day. Mostly I just lock up the wallet, etc.

some guy #2

I just lock my wallet,phone, etc in the truck but everything else is left out in the open. During the day the hassle would be to much but at night it wouldn't hurt to either put it in the trailer or chain it all together.

noobinacan

Lean.In.;171134 wrote: No I dont have a list, but that would probably be a great idea. Theres still some stuff I have to buy, but Im trying to spread it out over the next 2 months....generator, gazebo thing for shade, camper top for the truck, boots.

I have a question...say you are alone coming to a trackday. Whenever you are out on the track do you lock up all your stuff? Do I have to worry about throwing stands in the truck or chairs or whatever else everytime? I dont want to sound like I dont trust everyone at an event, but facing reality, stuff happens. Just curious.

Got almost everything safety'd...caliper bolts, brake pad pins, oil drain / filler / filter, front axle pinch bolts, axle bolt. Need to get the rear exhaust bracket bolts (per WERA). Also, do the lower tripple pinch bolts get safety'd??? Anything on the clip ons?

Pics in the next post...

I safety wired my lower triple pinch, cause that's your front forks and a lot of pressure on that stuff when under heavy braking. I also safety wired my top triple pinch to one of the allen screws on the clip-on's.

As for your stuff in the pit area...make friends with your neighbors, must people are usually courteous enough to keep an eye on your stuff while you're out on the track...given they're running a different group of course.

Lean.In.

Hey....its pretty much all back together. I have a couple odds and ends left but not much. I'll take a better pic and post it in your thread (which has BLOWN UP!). Its not much to look at though! All the beauty is underneath the fairings...ha. Which is fine, cuz Im sure Ill go down...ha.

Ordered my boots...Sidi ST's. Got a smoke shield for the helmet with tear off posts, and some tear offs. Im out of town for 2 weeks starting yesterday for work, and when I get back Im going to order up some other stuff like a canopy, cot, generator, and other support stuff. Im getting crazy waiting on April! Ive watched a couple hundred laps of Nashville on youtube so I know that pretty well. Thats about it! When I get back Ill post up some pics.

Salt, hows your bike coming along?

Saltman

Nice! Sounds like you are just gathering the remaining stuff together.

Mine is coming along great. Talked to Brian today about it and he said its almost complete. They have to get the forks resprung and revalved and set for my weight.

I still gotta get some better gauntlet gloves. I got some now, but going with a better model since my hands are my livelyhood. Can't mess them up! Ordered some Woodcraft sliders today as well. I'll be buying a trailer next month and getting that ready for April. Can't wait!