Looking for a starter track bike

Mikey75702

Here is a testament to speed vs HP, I was running Jefferson on July 4th weekend. I am on a liter v-twin that just put 120 HP and 75 ft-lbs of torque to the wheels. I thought i was doing very well. Lined up in the front of the b group, kept pace just fine, started working with control rider Ron on his SV, and when he decided to pick up the pace, I had to increase my corner speed to keep up. Even if I tried to gun it out of a corner he would leave me. So it forced me to work on the corners I wasn't comfortable with and get comfortable. That said, it would have been nothing for him to put his head down and lap me. All while on a bike that has half the HP i have. I imagine he could have smoked me even on a ninja 250.

Not trying to be a Dick, but just trying to point out that very few of us will reach the mechanical limits of our bikes. And you will never know how far you are away from those limits till you take your bike to the track. And there is no sense upgrading to the best 200 HP superbike with all the goodies just to do your first trackday. If you have a bike, bring it. Just do the rest of us a favor and safety wire your oil filter and drain plug. It costs less the $20 to do and it reduces the risked of spilling oil on the track and your rear tire exponentially. Other then that, buy the best safety gear you can and come give it a try. You will soon figure out what is the best course of action for you.

blueninja1

Lol i call bullshit on being lapped by a ninja 250. That's just a ridiculous statement. Even if you are terrible in corners you will just eat it on a straight, any numbskull can do that. With regard to the cr being so much faster, anyone can gun it out of a corner as well. Remember the most important thing to be a fast rider is to get all 3 parts right. Entry, mid-corner, and exit. If you only had one of the parts right, it's no wonder you were losing so much time. It sounds like you have to build confidence with the front end. You should start with a bike as stock as possible because who knows how even a minute change may affect the bike. Maybe it may be a change in the wrong direction. Get familiar with it as stock as possible before you 'upgrade' to race settings. If you can't throw a bike into a corner with the utmost confidence stock, there is no point in upgrading. Onto the next part, mid corner. You want to scrub just enough speed throwing the bike into the corner and maintain the bike, either by using maintenance throttle or letting the bike roll through if the corner is very slow. Go slow in the slow and fast in the fast. Then nail the exit. ALSO, remember that you probably futzed up your line a good amount to let the cr get away so far in such a short period. All these things have to come together to be quick. It doesn't help by being on a 1000 which sounds like to be too much for you to handle. I recommend picking up an older 600? The lighter the bike the easier to maneuver (i know twins are supposed to be light as well but it sounds like you should benefit more on a 600). As long as you respect the bike and don't try to muscle it in then you will improve. You have to be one with the bike, not have one overpowering the other.

-brendon :cool:

yeah i know i'm a smartass

Kordyte

blueninja1;163999 wrote: Yes, by all regards only do what you feel is comfortable. I was just trying to say that there are really no limits to what you can do. It is all dependent on your learning curve. One person may progress faster than another. Sorry if I come off snobbishly, totally not intended. :D

From personal experience, I came off of a ninja 250 and I'll tell ya that it is a great bike to learn how to master the corners in. You just have to be smooth with all the controls. If you have mastered gently feeding in rear brake, judging braking points (much different than driving a car), blipping on downshift, and flicking the bike into a corner, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to do the same on a 600.

Much of the challenge for new riders is to develop their style. At first it feels so foreign, what position do i sit in?, oh no I have bad coordination with the throttle when trying to blip, often times too fast, when I apply the rear brake is it having any effect?, how hard do i brake? etc. It is all experimentation. Your style will come to you with time. Only you yourself know when it is time to excel. This cannot be stressed enough. So instead of asking people when, look inside yourself. The next time you are riding that 250 you will know if it is too much for you to handle. Just be honest with yourself. If you need another season with it, so be it. Maybe you just need that extra month of riding consistently, who knows?

I just assumed that you were at this level since you have owned a 250. However, if you are a little rusty, by all means continue on practicing until your skillset is ready. It took me a couple months to learn these things, but ability is a limiting factor. Some people may take shorter or longer.

This advice should be taken with a grain of salt because I am not perfect, but I believe that I am 'gifted' enough to be taken somewhat seriously.

Cheers

-brendon
blueninja1;164006 wrote:
Lol i call bullshit on being lapped by a ninja 250. That's just a ridiculous statement. Even if you are terrible in corners you will just eat it on a straight, any numbskull can do that. With regard to the cr being so much faster, anyone can gun it out of a corner as well. Remember the most important thing to be a fast rider is to get all 3 parts right. Entry, mid-corner, and exit. If you only had one of the parts right, it's no wonder you were losing so much time. It sounds like you have to build confidence with the front end. You should start with a bike as stock as possible because who knows how even a minute change may affect the bike. Maybe it may be a change in the wrong direction. Get familiar with it as stock as possible before you 'upgrade' to race settings. If you can't throw a bike into a corner with the utmost confidence stock, there is no point in upgrading. Onto the next part, mid corner. You want to scrub just enough speed throwing the bike into the corner and maintain the bike, either by using maintenance throttle or letting the bike roll through if the corner is very slow. Go slow in the slow and fast in the fast. Then nail the exit. ALSO, remember that you probably futzed up your line a good amount to let the cr get away so far in such a short period. All these things have to come together to be quick. It doesn't help by being on a 1000 which sounds like to be too much for you to handle. I recommend picking up an older 600? The lighter the bike the easier to maneuver (i know twins are supposed to be light as well but it sounds like you should benefit more on a 600). As long as you respect the bike and don't try to muscle it in then you will improve. You have to be one with the bike, not have one overpowering the other.

-brendon :cool:

yeah i know i'm a smartass
Ohhhhh boy. There's so much wrong with this that I'm not even going to dissect it. Somebody else do it.

I'm not trying to be a dick by calling you out or whatever, but you've never been on the track.
http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=16882
There's nothing wrong with being a new guy, everybody is new at some point, but hold out on giving advice until you have SOME experience. Also, it would be different if you were just regurgitating advice that you've been given by CR's and other experienced people here, but you're not.

You say you're 'gifted', and I'm not saying that you're not. I'm just saying to wait until you actually ride on the track before making that judgment.

blueninja1

i'll let my riding do the talkin. cya at the track if you're at njmp this summer. oh and i regurgitated from kenny roberts.

-brendon

Kordyte

Thankfully, I only go to the tracks by me in Chicago. Be safe out there, slugger :rolleyes:

1292206942035.jpg

Mikey75702

I will be at njmp, just make sure you sign up in b group. Wouldn't want to hurt your ego by you getting bumped DOWN from I to B...... my whole point was the same thst was just made. We gave you advice on what bike to buy, you want to ignore people and formulate your own opinion, go for it, just dont pass that on to other new people as gospel until you have some experience under your belt.

And as far as you dissecting my riding, why dont you do that when you see it. I know a few things i need to work on, and am doing it. I also have control riders that have offered a lot of help for next season, so I will be just fine. And you can ask any of the riders on here how fast the control riders are. Even the A group guys will tell you they are fast.

And about the bike, it is pointless without a decent rider on top of it. My point was, you could be on a MOTO gp bike, but if you cant ride rossi would still lap you on a scooter. and until you get out here and see just how true that statement is, you have no clue.

Mikey75702

I'm starting to think the same thing. No way someone can lack that much common sense without actually trying :haha: that would also explain how there has been a lack of control riders commenting on his comments. Now the question is which control rider is it :confused: I'm guessing by the comment on my riding and lacking front end confidence, it would be someone that actively participated in the racer thread.....

;) Exactly!

It doesn't take three pages to figure out what 'beginner' track bike a person should start with.

Somebodys having fun trolling us B-groupers.

BZ

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
You could start doing track days with just about any bike as long as you respect both the bike's capabilities and your skill level. You'll learn.

FYI...Being lapped by Ron while he's riding an SV650 at Jefferson is no shame......he's crazy fast on an SV even when it's stock and has luggage racks on it. He's also just crazy:)

I started with an R1 and after a few years switched to an R6. Starting with something less than a 600 will probably mean that you'll change bikes when you get addicted to the track.....and you probably will get hooked. Starting with a 600 that's already set for the track would be good because the upgrades from stock will cost less.... but a good used street bike would also work fine for a starter and you can pick and choose which upgrades will give you the most bang for your buck.

If you start with a good 600 you probably won't feel a need to go to a larger displacement bike unless you become a control rider and need to play trackday cop......... chasing down liter bikes being ridden by riders who need to be talked to sometimes requires a little extra hp on the straights.

Some people like the power delivery of the V's but the inline4's are my choice. Gotta keep them spooled up to keep them in their power band but that's something that you just get used to....not a big deal.

Bottom line......get something and show up on the grid!

cman2389

lol sorry to cause the commotion guys, just lookin for some advice/tips.....but this is amusing. Also, one of the CR's is hooking me up with an 04 R6 when I get back stateside. i appreciate all the help and advice though. hope to see you guys out there one of these days!

Mikey75702

cman2389;164059 wrote: lol sorry to cause the commotion guys, just lookin for some advice/tips.....but this is amusing. Also, one of the CR's is hooking me up with an 04 R6 when I get back stateside. i appreciate all the help and advice though. hope to see you guys out there one of these days!
Nah, you are good. Always good to look for advice and tips. Not sure which cr that is, but it is probably a nice machine. Those pesky crs are so damn helpful on and off the track.....:D

rk97

okstate_fz6r;163956 wrote: rk97, you said that you will learn more on the SV over a 600 so is a Ninja 250 even better? I am looking for my first track bike next season as well. I prefer the smoothness of an I4 over the vtwin, but I want the best learning bike for this coming season. It will be track days only to improve my riding skills just like cman. I will probably upgrade in a season or two. I was thinking about putting track parts on my old Ninja 250. Is a 600 a better idea? Just thought I would throw another option out there.

Thank you for your service cman.
I am a believer that straight-line speed is a means of making you feel faster without actually making you a better rider.

If you're down on power compared to the rest of the bikes out there, you have no choice but to learn to carry corner speed. In that regard, a lower-powered bike (with a good suspension) FORCES you to learn. So if your goal is to get better as quickly as possible, I think an SV is better than a 600 - but if you're out there primarily to have fun, a 600 might be the better bike, because it lowers the potential for frustration when you're stuck behind a less skilled rider on a more powerful bike. An SV forces you to learn to get around someone with 100 more hp than you; a 600 lowers the hp differential, and makes that task easier, likely compromising the amount you have to learn in the process.

I am not one to get down on ninja 250's, but I also wouldn't sink money into one. No amount of money is going to make a ninja 250 handle awesome; only good (the frame just flexes too much). A nicely set up SV650 with an aftermarket shock and cartridge emulators (or GSXR forks) isn't that hard to find, or that expensive to buy.

Personally, I wouldn't like riding a ninja 250 at a trackday - in a spec RACE class for 250's, hell yes; but it would just be frustrating in a trackday environment when you've got 28hp, and Joe Moneybags has 200hp on his new BMW S1000R. But I'm in impatient guy, and I get frustrated easily. If you don't, then ride the wheels of the EX250, and have fun doing it.

Amac955

I'm a big fan of the SV650. I rode mine for 6 years, 60+ track days, and into the A group before trying out a 600. If you learn to ride it, it is a lot of fun. Even at big tracks like Road America, if you are competent, you can and will hold your own. Right before I got my A bump at Road America, I was starting at the very front of the fast line and would only get passed by maybe 4 bikes. 2 of them crashed. :D SVs are cheap to by, maintain, and are very easy on tires if the suspension is set up correctly. And when you get your black sticker on an SV, you know damn well you earned it.

And I will say that I've seen guys 60 lbs heavier than me (I weight 170) pass liter bikes and expensive italian machinery on SVs like they were standing still.

My 2 cents

gkotlin

The bike you have is the right bike for your first track days. Come out, have fun, learn what it's all about. If you have to buy a track bike, I like the SV650. Plenty of torque down low to get out of the corners. Plenty of speed. Very capable in the hands of a skilled rider. You could start on this bike and grow all the way to A group.

The 250 4 strokes don't have much torque. They need to be kept in the power band. If you own one, great come out. If your buying for the track, there are better options.

blueninja1;163969 wrote: The 250 will not push your abilities where it counts, which is at real racing speeds. It will take practice but I believe a person knows in their heart if they were born to do this sport.
Pushing your abilities has nothing to do with the bike. Someone can ride at their limit and learn no matter what their limit is. Very few of us are held back by the capabilities of our bikes. Having heart and being born with "the right stuff" has nothing to do with trackdays. It's about friends, motorcycles, having fun and doing something that most people don't have the opportunity to do. The guys with "the right stuff" are Ben Spies and Colin Edwards. Guys that rose to the top with mad amounts of skill. I've seen plenty of "fast guys" from "their group of riding friends" come out and be humbled very quickly on their first track day. (I was one)

blueninja1;163999 wrote: If you have mastered gently feeding in rear brake, judging braking points (much different than driving a car), blipping on downshift, and flicking the bike into a corner, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to do the same on a 600.

It is all experimentation. Your style will come to you with time. Only you yourself know when it is time to excel. This cannot be stressed enough. So instead of asking people when, look inside yourself. The next time you are riding that 250 you will know if it is too much for you to handle.

The majority of new riders should not use rear brake. It's skill to be added to your riding package when other skills are already established. My opinion. 250's are not ridden like 600's. 600's are not ridden like 1000's. Except at the very beginner level. Each has it's style and nuances. I can out drive a 1000 out of most corners on an SV. They don't have the traction available leaned over. But they quickly motor by when they can get on the gas. There is not much left to experimentation at the beginner level. There are some solid fundamentals we teach at trackdays. What is experimentation are the little nuances that you develop into your own style. People rarely know when it's time to excel. Yes, you need to take a look at yourself and evaluate where you're at. You need to decide where you want to go. But you also need someone on the outside to take a look. Someone with experience that can offer guidance. Hmmm. If only those people existed. If we told everyone to evaluate themselves and tell us when they were ready for the bump, it would be quite a different world.

blueninja1;164006 wrote:
With regard to the cr being so much faster, anyone can gun it out of a corner as well. It sounds like you have to build confidence with the front end. You should start with a bike as stock as possible because who knows how even a minute change may affect the bike. Maybe it may be a change in the wrong direction. Get familiar with it as stock as possible before you 'upgrade' to race settings. If you can't throw a bike into a corner with the utmost confidence stock, there is no point in upgrading. Onto the next part, mid corner. You want to scrub just enough speed throwing the bike into the corner and maintain the bike, either by using maintenance throttle or letting the bike roll through if the corner is very slow.
Gunning out of corner. Has nothing to do with being fast. Thats a good way to put yourself on your head. Building confidence in the front end is another story. Again, most of us don't get enough feedback from the front to build confidence. Sometimes the feedback is misinterpreted. Perhaps you have a false confidence in the front end. Maybe the feedback you're getting is normal, but overwhelming to you. Most bikes are ok stock. However, some, like the SV and Ninja 250 need upgrades to work well. The SV is a commuter entry level bike. The suspension needs some basic attention to work well. That being said, a great rider can ride the snot out of a bike with stock suspension. But they know what to feel and how to adjust. It really depends again, on the rider, the bike and what your goals are. You don't throw a motorcycle into a corner. How you attack a corner will depend on the corner. I'm not going into a sharp decreasing radius corner the same as a balanced or exit corner. So the entry mid corner and exit all vary depending on the corner, the rider and situation.

Amac955;164113 wrote: I'm a big fan of the SV650. SVs are cheap to buy, maintain, and are very easy on tires if the suspension is set up correctly. And when you get your black sticker on an SV, you know damn well you earned it.

And I will say that I've seen guys 60 lbs heavier than me (I weight 170) pass liter bikes and expensive italian machinery on SVs like they were standing still.
A very wise man. The SV is great. Plenty of power. Easy on tires and gas. Great to start on. Great to ride in Advanced. But it does need a good suspension.

And just for the record, it's more then 60 extra pounds. ;)

Winter is a great time to learn from each other.. Let's keep the threads going and keep sharing.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I don't believe blueninja1 has ever done a trackday. Not saying he doesn't know how to ride, but just know from whom you're taking advice about track riding. Or not. Who knows, maybe he'll be one of those naturals that gets bumped in just a couple of days.

blueninja1

quick question. sorry to hijack the thread lol. Is there anyone who would help assist me in doing a rearset install at the track when i start doin trackdays. I plan on bringing a stock gsxr 600 or r6. much appreciated

blueninja1

Oh nevermind i guess i can't have it all. I'll just use the stock rearsets and just not drag them. I'll wait till I get a real racing bike to let it all out.