Looking for a starter track bike

Mikey75702

I am sure anyone on here will help you if you need it. I wouldn't mind helping you, but you'd have to promise me once on track to take it slow and listen to the control riders. Especially paying a lot of attention to kubricky's morning riders meeting. :D

blueninja1

I'll be as well behaved as a boyscout. Hehe also thanks for the help kind sir. I'll try out the stock pegs since it will be my first track day. i can always upgrade later. can't wait to see you there. Only 4-5 months wooohooo. Countin down the seconds. Now back to studying for my finals :banghead:

Mikey75702

The biggest issue for me with stock rearsets was when I would move my feet to position for a corner I kept folding the darn things up. And it sucks coming into a corner trying to find something to put your foot on. Aftermarket rear sets are solid, non folding grippy, and adjustable. Definitely not needed if you are fairly comfortable, and don't food the pegs by accident.

rk97

blueninja1;164247 wrote: I'll wait till I get a real racing bike to let it all out.
dont' be too hard on a stock GSXR or R6. They're legit "race bikes" as soon as you take away the headlights, mirrors, and kick stand - that's why I find them to be so silly on the street.

It's true, aftermarket rearsets are higher, further back, probably lighter, more adjustable, and supposedly more durable - but you can still lean a stock bike over pretty far.

But the bigger point is that it's not about how far you're leaning the bike over, it's about how fast you're getting through the corner. Poor body position and huge lean angle is a recipe for disaster. Moderate lean angle with good body position is safer AND faster.

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, there are worse things to spend it on than rearsets, but track time is almost always the first place to spend your money. I gave up 2 weekends to buy a new (to me) bike. I'm still not totally convinced that the more capable bike was worth the lost fun and experience of actually RIDING.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Why don't you just install them well in advance of the trackday? You can use them for street use, too, you'll just need to get a banjo bolt with a pressure switch so you can wire it up so you have a rear brake light. No big deal. They take enough time to install, that I doubt you'll want to change them in and out for track/street. Get 'em, install 'em, leave 'em on.

blueninja1

Perhaps i'll do what hondagal says. Some people say riding with custom rearset is uncomfy for everyday use but I'm a flexible guy at 5'10 150ish lbs. when i'm hittin the gym. I'm even lighter when not bulking up. Maybe I wouldn't mind the positioning for everyday use. I'll give it a shot after my first few trackdays if i excel far enough that I feel it's holding me back.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I don't find rearsets all that radical a change, position-wise, from stock. You're talking about an inch to an inch-and-a-half back and up. That change still felt more than fine to me on the street. So much so, that when I returned my 929 to street only, I left the rearsets on. They're the adjustable ones, too. I set them for track, figuring I could lower them for street. I never bothered, they are fine. Maybe it's because I'm only 5'4". What I do like is that the grip is better, and the solid, non-folding pegs feel, well, solid.

If you start by removing the peg feelers on your stock pegs, you'll be fine.

blueninja1

5' 4 :haha:

then again most chicks are short. nice to see a lady ridin a bike ; ]
if you're lucky maybe i'll take ya out sometime :D

blueninja1

There is no shame in being a granny. A woman is like a bottle of wine. Somethin about smellin the cork and stuff like dat..

Kordyte

picard-facepalm.jpg