No Putnam??? No SED's???

Trent1098S

thumpin250;179769 wrote: I very much like the chicane at Road America. Lets me rub my toes on the pavement and pass a bunch of folks......makes me :D
I may have developed a different opinion of it, if only I'd put on the fresh slicks I had in the trailer that day, instead of trying to get "just one more day" on that shagged rear. I swapped the front that morning, because it was total toast. Should have just dropped the brand new goddamn NTEC's on and been done with it.

Had REAL good traction on the front, and those brand new Brembo monobloc's were working sweet as could be, but that rear, she stepped out nice and quick about a foot, and then I was wishing I had a pair of wings, then extra padding, then was wondering why I fell down when I tried to stand up, then why the bone in my arm was not where it should be, then I was wondering why my bike was in the middle of the track, and who's this guy shining a light in my eyes, then everything just kind of got a little fuzzy for awhile ...

Life is full of "if only's". Should have put on fresh rubber that day. Having orderlies hold you on your side strapped to a backboard, puking your guts out in front of the pretty nurse is not what I'd put on my list of "fun" ways to end a day.

Anyway next time any of you get that hair-brained idea that "maybe I can get just one more day out of a tire", run what I wrote above through your head. Better to pay off a credit card over a year, than go through a year long recovery.

And on that note, I'm off for awhile. Will see you guys as soon as I can load my weight down on my left ankle. You can kick my ass, but never knock me down... :)

thumpin250

Indeed good sir it is full of said if's. At least we feel very smart after we screw the pooch massively. Well 6 months after the fact maybe.

wally509

Matt;178943 wrote: Wally, you gotta try Road America!!! and blackhawk is home! don't skip, come on out!
Matt,

I did RA one day last year. It's a neat track with a lot of history. I've driven a car there many times which is part of why I finally got off my ace and tried the bike there. I don't want to make any comments that will start a firestorm here on the forum but it's not a track I need to run more than once every couple of years. I just don't think it's really well suited for motorcycles.

I will do BHF for sure, expecially the chili cook-off weekend. I just don't think I'll do more than four or five days there this year.

Later,
Wally

MadViking

Trent1098S;179634 wrote: About Putnam.. be careful with that mindset MadViking. You can't go to a track thinking it's safe, just because it's in the middle of an open field. Turn 10 at Putnam is *the* most dangerous corner at any track in the Midwest. Right at the apex, you're pointed directly at ARMCO, with no soft barriers or runoff room (tires are not a soft barrier...). Tuck the front, clip the curbing, or (worse) lose the rear on the drive to the front straight and highside there, and there is absolutely nothing to stop your body from impacting a hard barrier at 60-70mph.

So, 90% of Putnam is safe. That last corner, not so much.
Very true...I always hold back a little on that corner and number one as I would not want to go down in either.

j_fuggin_t

oh c'mon 10 isn't that bad.. ppl just put too much thought in it.. just make sure you hit it right everytime, i would say that 7 bites more ppl

MadViking

j_fuggin_t;180960 wrote: oh c'mon 10 isn't that bad.. ppl just put too much thought in it.. just make sure you hit it right everytime, i would say that 7 bites more ppl
I could be wrong, but I think a lot of people hold back a little in that corner. Luckily, I have never seen anyone go down there. Come to think of it, I almost high-sided in that corner one day in the rain on brand new tires. I was being "pulled" by Suzuki Girl and going faster that I was comfortable given the circumstances. :doh: I have it on video and I am talking both feet down looking for a place to land puckered UP! :wow:

Seven on the other hand is relatively slow, so people tend to push it and that is why so many people crash there. Of course, like most corners there, runoff is plentiful. Trent was just correcting me in that Putnam does have at least one potentially dangerous corner.

Trent1098S

Just because there's nothing to run in to, don't mean the other corners are "totally safe". They're all dangerous given the proper conditions - this ain't basket weaving.

Turn 7 knocked me out for 15 mins and got me a ride to the local trauma center back in 2008. Last year, I saw a guy break his collarbone there.

There's also always the chance of taking a flight and landing in front of someone in a slow corner. Motorcycles hurt no matter WHERE they run you over at. A lot. Trust me, been there done that. :)

All I was saying, is that Turn 10 carries a much higher risk than the others, overall.

But, the discussion about which "corner" is most dangerous is a moot point. The only fatality at Putnam on a motorcycle (that I'm aware of) happened on the dip on the front straight. You can't see in to the dip ahead of you at high speed. Four riders came on a slower rider (HOW it all went down is another story altogether), and there was bike to bike interaction.

This is why you'll see Putnam red-flag ALL off road activity. If someone runs off at Putnam, they break out those red flags faster than you can say "I saved it!"

Anyway, when you go out, make sure to carry a good dose of respect about soft parts and hard parts. Some parts are hard to replace.

beac83

Trent1098S;180970 wrote:
Anyway, when you go out, make sure to carry a good dose of respect about soft parts and hard parts. Some parts are hard to replace.
Sage advice here. Read and heed.

steve p

Trent1098S;180970 wrote: The only fatality at Putnam on a motorcycle (that I'm aware of) happened on the dip on the front straight. You can't see in to the dip ahead of you at high speed. Four riders came on a slower rider
Trent, back in the early 90's, there were actually a couple deaths there and several serious injury's. They got rid of a wall in turn one and I believe moved the wall in turn 10 back quite a ways.

sobottka

steve p;180998 wrote: Trent, back in the early 90's, there were actually a couple deaths there and several serious injury's. They got rid of a wall in turn one and I believe moved the wall in turn 10 back quite a ways.
yep at dead bear and if i remember correctly, there used to be a wall (or armco) outside of that turn

greeny

Trent1098S;180970 wrote: This is why you'll see Putnam red-flag ALL off road activity. If someone runs off at Putnam, they break out those red flags faster than you can say "I saved it!"
i've seen plenty of yellow flags at putnam. they'll usually red flag a session when someone goes down, but if you run off and still have the bike under control, they'll give you the opportunity to get back on track so the session goes uninterrupted.

Trent1098S;180970 wrote:
This is why you'll see Putnam red-flag ALL off road activity. If someone runs off at Putnam, they break out those red flags faster than you can say "I saved it!"
Not true. I got a cold seize going into Turn 1 and had to go hang out in the infield for a good 15 minutes. Had a great front row seat of A group taking turn 1-3 though.

greeny

^^^ werd. i know as long as mechanicals don't leave you in a vulnerable spot, they'll have you wait 'til the session is over to come get you. i remember joe was caught out in T9 with a dead battery and he made sure to move his bike outta the way so they wouldn't red flag the session as well.

Kordyte

Heh, my instinct is to hop up and wave my hand "I'm okay" as SOON as I stop moving after a crash, in order to reduce the red-flag time of my fellow riders. I lowsided at big bear and coasted into the grass nice and smooth, popped myself then my bike up and waved to the cornerworkers... there still was a red flag for a minute or so :(

there is a trackday and afternoon race at Putnum this weekend. Im thinking about going ... I got to find it online somewhere.....

some guy #2

Yeah, not sure where the red flag's all the time came from. I've been down and seen people down and it's been waving yellows before.

If there's one turn I wouldn't want to crash in it's 10 but in 2 years I've only seen 1 person go down there. This is also with turning 13's and 14's so it's not like they're babying it around.

No offense to Trent but I'd take some of what he's saying with a grain of salt.

trailmug

Trent1098S;180970 wrote:
This is why you'll see Putnam red-flag ALL off road activity.
I remember seeing people off under waving yellow fairly frequently (and have been there when I rocketed off through times square.. rapidly changing from grass to pavement and back is a great braking exercise). :)

I think I remember that Putnam's policy is to automatically red flag the session if a bike goes down.

Kordyte

design-engine;181254 wrote: there is a trackday and afternoon race at Putnum this weekend. Im thinking about going ... I got to find it online somewhere.....
I'm riding my bicycle there from Greencastle, fun times

ceptorman

Trent1098S;180970 wrote:

Turn 7 knocked me out for 15 mins and got me a ride to the local trauma center back in 2008. Last year, I saw a guy break his collarbone there.
I was pitted next to you that day. Pretty scarey stuff, especially for your wife.