R6 Tire choice...

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
I have run balance beads just fine...though they tend to make a mess when swapping and flipping tires...

ekraft84

And 90 degree value stems, if you don't already have them.

Some of those have been known to fail on a rear, from time to time. We'll run a good stainless stem on both wheels. Maybe a 90 on the front to make it easier around hot rotors. Your results may vary.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Some of those have been known to fail on a rear, from time to time. We'll run a good stainless stem on both wheels. Maybe a 90 on the front to make it easier around hot rotors. Your results may vary.
Why would they fail on the rear and not the front? They would have nearly the same amount of force applied to them both from rotation and from air pressure the inside them.

ekraft84

Why would they fail on the rear and not the front? They would have nearly the same amount of force applied to them both from rotation and from air pressure the inside them.

The rear would have more load applied, driving out of a corner for example.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
The rear would have more load applied, driving out of a corner for example.
I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm trying to understand. It still doesn't make sense to me. I understand that there would be more pressure during the drive out but wouldn't there be even more air pressure on the during braking. The volume of air in the front is significantly less than the volume of air in the rear. Even if the forces applied to the front during braking are less than rear during acceleration the difference in force would not be enough to offset the difference in pressure due to the reduced volume.

ekraft84

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm trying to understand. It still doesn't make sense to me. I understand that there would be more pressure during the drive out but wouldn't there be even more air pressure on the during braking. The volume of air in the front is significantly less than the volume of air in the rear. Even if the forces applied to the front during braking are less than rear during acceleration the difference in force would not be enough to offset the difference in pressure due to the reduced volume.

I'm not disagreeing with your thought process either - merely pointing out what I've heard/been told over time (from a tire vendor in one instance). It might have been simply a bad stem, or an odd usage case. Overall, I just prefer the stainless stems.

Cheers.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I've slowly swapped over to 90 degree stems from Kurvey Girl on all my bikes, street and track. No problems so far. Follow the torque specs and you should be OK.