Road Atlanta Roll Call - July 4/5

johndemoss

Ok I have another question. I signed up for a number of track days this year and signed up for all my N2 events as a novice, as this was my first year on track. However, I feel that I really should have registered as intermediate, now that I've done a few track days. In fact, I was told this at my last event. I don't see how I can change my skill level for an event once I am registered. Am I able?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
No, that can't be changed. If you get the bump (promotion) to Intermediate then it will be changed in the system for the rest of your upcoming events. Since this is your first year of trackdays and your first event with N2, Novice is my recommendation. If you are riding well, the Control Riders (CRs) will notice. If you belong in Intermediate, they'll bump you. Then, as I'd said, your subsequent events will be changed to Intermediate.

I think you'll find our Novice group to have an overall faster pace than Intermediate groups with other orgs. Work with the CRs, work on what they recommend, and you'll get your bump.

Welcome again to N2, you're going to have fun and learn a lot.

kappy1000

Control Rider
Director
Road Atlanta Schedule

Saturday
7:00 - 8:00 am Tech & Registration
8:15 - 8:35 am Riders Meeting
9:00 - 12:00 (3) Morning Sessions
12:00 - 1:00 pm Lunch
1:00 - 5:00 pm (4) Afternoon Sessions
Sunday
7:00 - 8:00 am Tech & Registration
8:15 - 8:35 am Riders Meeting
9:00 - 10:00 am (1) Morning Session
10:00 - 12:00 Quiet Time / Lunch
12:00 - 6:00 pm (6) Afternoon Sessions

johndemoss

No, that can't be changed. If you get the bump (promotion) to Intermediate then it will be changed in the system for the rest of your upcoming events. Since this is your first year of trackdays and your first event with N2, Novice is my recommendation. If you are riding well, the Control Riders (CRs) will notice. If you belong in Intermediate, they'll bump you. Then, as I'd said, your subsequent events will be changed to Intermediate.

I think you'll find our Novice group to have an overall faster pace than Intermediate groups with other orgs. Work with the CRs, work on what they recommend, and you'll get your bump.

Welcome again to N2, you're going to have fun and learn a lot.
Ok... Given I only have one day (Sunday) it would be nice to not wait all day to get bumped. High 1:20s with 1:27 best at roebling 2 weeks ago at RR fest. Don't know if that gives any perspective. Also did level 1 and 2 with California Superbike School at Barber. Didn't record lap times but felt like I was in the middle or bottom of top 3rd of the riding group.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I'm not familiar with laptimes on southern tracks, so I can't comment except to say it's not all about laptimes. It's also about being smooth, predictable, with good body position and techniques, and passing within the rules of the group. Get out to the grid early, and be in the front of the middle line of riders (CRs are on the far left, faster riders center, slower on left). Talk to a CR and ask for an evaluation.

This will be your first time riding with N2?

Last edited:

johndemoss

I'm not familiar with laptimes on southern tracks, so I can't comment except to say it's not all about laptimes. It's also about being smooth, predictable, with good body position and techniques, and passing within the rules of the group. Get out to the grid early, and be in the front of the middle line of riders (CRs are on the far left, faster riders center, slower on left). Talk to a CR and ask for an evaluation.
Agree on lap times. Ok cool. I'll talk to a CR before first ride and go from there. While we all always have room to learn I think I'm pretty strong on those points. Very intentional and planned throttle control and body position and most certainly respectful of rules and other riders. Will talk to a CR. thanks for the help.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Sounds good. If a CR thinks you belong in Intermediate, you'll get bumped quickly. If they don't, they'll give you specific things to work on. Regardless of the group you're in, you'll have fun and continue learning. ☺

Just Scott

Just-Scott
Control Rider
Does anyone know if a few fireworks would be a bad idea to bring and set off for the 4th? Not trying to cause trouble with track officials

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

raul1138

Thanks for asking this Scott... I was wondering the same thing. Bring the wife and kids and I know they'd miss having that part of the 4th.

Just Scott

Just-Scott
Control Rider
I'm hoping I didn't spend too much money at the store to not be able to use it haha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I'd guess no on the fireworks. They (track officials) already ban open flames and with all the race fuel and such on site I would almost guarantee they will not allow fireworks. Been running that track for years and never saw a single snap & pop there once you get in the gates. The surrounding areas have fireworks and you can sometimes see them pretty good from some of the high points at Road A.

HJ

Psychoholic

I'm in for Sunday! Been a hot minute since I got to ride RA and I am super excited.

Weather doesn't look too happy, and I do detest riding in the r***, but wet track time is better than no track time.

johndemoss

Well, I'm the unfortunate guy who highsided turn 1 and messed up my bike pretty bad. I jumped too many steps at once instead of easing my way up and, when it comes down to it, didn't exhibit the patience that's necessary to learn the track well enough first. Anyway, since I did all sorts of damage to the bike, if anyone behind me happened to get gopro footage, would you mind sending it? at the least I can have that (on top of walking away). I got greedy and/or overconfident and didn't take the time I needed to break improvement up into smaller steps and that is my lesson learned. Hopefully this can be a reminder to others also. Would love to see video though if anyone has it.. As the corner worker put it, it was "dramatic."