The MotoGP Thread

I also caught the various comments about rear chatter. From what I saw (heard), it was a Ducati problem at that track. I didn’t hear about chatter last season amongst all the other races. I don’t think it’s aero. Could be the rear ride height device. IIRC, they use it on corner exit, which is when I think they were experiencing chatter.
From what I’ve read, rear end chatter has been all but eliminated over the past few years. Of course there may be slight and odd instances of it - but generally, the electronics have taken that out of the equation.

Might mean that the ECU techs are playing catch up with the rest of the improvements on the new Ducati? Maybe the KTMs are laying down a layer of fine marbles (james bond style)? Oh, the intrigue :)

Of course it didn’t seem to stop Bagnia, Martin et al…

bmart

Control Rider
MotoE...excellent. Race 1 is a little bumpy and race 2 was superb. Great start to what is sure to be an electric season (get it???).

Binder was a heartbreak.

Marquez certainly looks to be getting back in the swing of things. He should provide some spoilers throughout the season, unless he drops his proclaimed “slow and steady” attitude - then all bets are off.

bmart

Control Rider
If his approach goes back to McSavesAlot...it'll be interesting to see if he can do it on the Duc. I'm not a 93 fan, but there's no arguing his talent and drive

I'm not a 93 fan, but there's no arguing his talent and drive

I've never been a fan of MM93 but I did have a lot of respect for his drive, talent and accomplishments.

My respect was bolstered early last season when Freddie Spencer (now MotoGP Chief of Stewards) shared insight at ChampSchool about MM93 setting the example for others as the most supportive racer of the increased role of the stewards and their rulings. That pleasantly surprised me given that MM93 had a reputation as a dirty rider.

However, last season I totally lost respect for MM93 after his low-sided bike spectacularly smashed into JZ05. There was no mistaking the impact. Despite seeing that JZ05 was clearly in pain and unable to get up, MM93 didn't hesitate to run the opposite direction. Later in an interview he attempted to shift blame to JZ05. For me, the whole incident represented moral turpitude.

Contrast that to CW34's last season in the MotoAmerica Junior Cup series when KY31 lost her brakes and blindsided CW34 going into T7 at VIR. CW34 had every reason to get up and render the single-finger salute but instead he went over to check on KY31, realized she was injured, called for the medics and stayed with her until they arrived. That is the act of a true champion, IMO.

I've never been a fan of MM93 but I did have a lot of respect for his drive, talent and accomplishments.
I too was not a huge fan - but mostly because at a certain point, he made MotoGP boring. His talent was undeniable, but his consistency and dominance began to overwhelm the competition. Much like Formula 1 over the past couple years, when you already know who will very likely win on a given Sunday, the thrill is diminished.

The Zarco incident was disappointing - especially considering he has experienced enough serious crashes to know better. I'm sure some would chalk it up to lizard brain, but in the end - just a bummer compared to how we have seen others react in similar situations.

Great Moto2 race.

FA54's recovery after his double LLP provides strong evidence of why he already has a two year contract in the Premier class next year.

Portimao is obviously a tough course. There were a lot of front runners way down in the points paying positions.

Finally just finished the MotoGP race. Good grief! Barn burner!!! Nearly had a heart attack.

Curious to read what happened to MV12. Seemed like he had finally shaken his…Vinalesesque behaviors, but….

What was your take on the clash between the champs?

MM93 is obviously closer to the front than he had been on the troubled Honda. But considering his talent and the past results of other riders on year old Ducs (Bastinini, Bezzecchi etc), am I off-base thinking he should be having an easier time getting up toward the podium? I know it’s early - but I guess I assumed THAT bike in the hands of THAT talent would look differently.

Possible that he’s suffering the same fate as almost all the “greats” who never return from serious injury to be the same type of rider?

I’ll have to catch up with moto2/3 tomorrow.

bmart

Control Rider
MV12 had a broken gearbox.

MM93 is what he is. The same move happened in WSBK this weekend with no collision. I realize that it is hard to see the other bike, but you'd have to assume they're there. Where else would they be? He knows better.

Like @bmart said, MV12 had a mechanical problem.

The DORNA commentators obviously haven't been on a bike in a long time since they didn't detect MV12 putting his leg out well in advance of the braking zone was to indicate a problem. That along with the sudden slow down on the straightaway and looking down at the bike should have been clear indicators.

Then the rear wheel stoppage at hardly any lean angle. They described it several times as a high side. OK, technically I guess it was but not the normal type of high side.

Anyways, I'm glad I don't have to rely on the DORNA commentators for much other than statistics. That much said, Simon Crafar is great.

I was impressed with how positive MV12 was in his post-race interview.

Concur with @bmart - MM93 should have known better. Although the FIM MotoGP Stewards deemed it a race incident, I think MM93 was a little wide and tried too hard to come back across to force the door closed on FB01.

I read a couple articles about the gear box issue after I posted here. Bummer for MV12, but unfortunately on par for the way things roll for him. If he was accurate in his estimation of losing 2 tenths/lap from lap 6 onwards, would have been wild to see if he could have swept the weekend.

In real time I thought he may have been shaking his leg to determine oil leak or possible heat issue like hit them last year up in the cockpit. I never assume the commentators have a clue regarding bike issues. Simon is the man. And I wait for his analysis - which is almost always insightful and spot on.

Sadly, he can’t be the lead commentator because he doesn’t have the “gift” of babbling nonsense nonstop bookended by alliteration!

I don’t have a dog in this fight. Neither rider are at the top of my ”root for” list. That said…

MM93’s critique of FB01 was a gem - considering he was basically describing his own style since he first threw a leg over a BMX bike when he was 2 yo.

While I agree it was his responsibility to assume Bagnia would be there, I also think, however unfairly, FB01 could have accepted that OF COURSE Marquez will pull that shit. If he’s going to rise above the mayhem to retain the title, he needs to pick and choose which aggressive incidents to get tangled up in.

Earlier in the race when he was in a similar situation with PA31 he opted to bail on pushing it - and stayed upright. We could be witnessing the first moments of 2 alpha champs trying to exert their dominance. Should make for a spicy season.

bmart

Control Rider
The commentators are pretty dreadful, or at least one of them seems to be for every similar sport. and it is usually the head guy. Sadly, I watch a lot with the sound off; they're people only their mothers could love. :) Simon is great.

Spicy indeed. I like that WSBK realizes that they're competitors not enemies.

The commentators are pretty dreadful, or at least one of them seems to be for every similar sport. and it is usually the head guy. Sadly, I watch a lot with the sound off; they're people only their mothers could love. :) Simon is great.

Spicy indeed. I like that WSBK realizes that they're competitors not enemies.
I actually think Matt Burt is better compared to the last guy who took over after Nick Harris retired. Burt was the #2 in that team. I forget his name - but he bailed….only to turn up at BSB!!! He’s haunting me! :).

I can’t swing WSBK right now. I’m over the subscription limit already. Need to save some back for more track days! I do follow their feed on YouTube though. Quite the tease for sure. I wish Dorna would offer a package deal for both apps. MotoGP is already pricey. They should be discounting for purchasing both.

Yeah, Steve Day is who you're talking about. He was intolerable as a MotoGP commentator so much that I was often tempted to fire a shoulder launched missile at my TV. I swear, if it were physiologically possible for him to have carried MM93's baby, he would have done it. He was obscene. Thank goodness he left.

As proof that life is full of second chances and sometimes we need a change of scenery to reach our potential, he landed in the British Superbike Series (like you said). I cringed in anticipation of more nonsense but I was pleasantly surprised and think he's doing a bang up job there.

And I do dearly miss Nick Harris. I acknowledge he probably needed some assistance with mashed foods and medicine reminders but good golly he was an encyclopedia of real history (unlike Steve Day who was just competing for the Most Annoying Sorority Girl Award).

Concur on DORNA needs to level the services. Annoying that I can't watch a race from my WSBK app.

Yes! Steve Day. Obviously I had buried that name deep, deep away :)

I agree that the little I’ve heard of the BSB (only replays on YouTube) he’s been less annoying. I wonder if it’s a familiarity with the riders? In MotoGP he had one talking point - and he was sticking with it!!! I guess you have to give it to him for stead fast constancy. :)

Harris was certainly ready to retire. I assume at his age, all the travel and the number of races creeping higher, it was getting a bit tough. But man! His enthusiasm was infectious. And as you mention, his knowledge made all of us better, more informed fans.

ctk62

I miss Dylan Gray, though I don't mind the current commentators as much. Simon Crafar is awesome.

This is my first season watching WSBK and it's very interesting to compare and contrast the two series. Too many great storylines and riders to not watch both.

Regarding Mav's leg dangle it seems like everyone does that while braking so I def wouldn't see that as a signal of an issue. I don't think he could have pulled any further outside and it would have been risky to dart inside. So he did well IMO. Aprilia really needs to get it together reliability wise. This has been a recurring issue. I guess we'll see what happens.