The MotoGP Thread

Simon took Dylan’s job. I was fine with him too - but Simon has taken it to a new level.

The leg dangle is typically when at the braking zone. Vinales was at 1/2 straight (or sooner???) when he started losing speed and signaling. Haven’t read whether bastianini recognized it or not. I’m sure he saw space and bolted for the next step on the podium.

Regardless, you’re 100% right about the Aprilla reliability. They have designed a damn fine bike - but just need the organizational skills to pull off constant podiums/wins.

I also think they need a marquee rider. I had high hopes for Vinales when he entered the class. But his inconsistency has hampered him throughout. It’s time for a hotshot to ride for Aprilla to show us what they are really capable of.

ctk62

I was really pleased with his post race briefing. He got absolutely reamed for how he left Yamaha. Maybe 30% of that was justified. But it looks like he has grown up a lot, which I imagine translates to his riding. There's still some old Mav left though- I chuckled when he said the win was a result of what happens when "the team gives him a good bike" or something to that effect. The best riders on the grid own the blame and share the wins.

I don't know if Aprilia could do better than a couple of podiums & wins a year. Weirdly, MotoGP is kind of ranked by organizational skills and capacity- and even at its best I don't know that Aprilia could operate better than Ducati/KTM. There's def a top tier of riders, and the grid is arguably more talented than ever... but I don't know that Pecco/Marc/Acosta could be the factor to put Aprilia over the top. They're like a 2nd round exit NBA team- good enough to make a playoff run but not to go all the way.

He’s grown up for sure. But on top of the Yamaha situation, remember that he also walked out on his moto3 team, only to turn right back around a couple days later. I think it’s in his personality to be a bit flaky. Or impetuous. Or both. And unfortunately, despite his incredible talent, these character traits seems to also show through in his performances.

I have high hopes for Aprilla. They’ve built a bike that can perform well on its day. They just need to develop the infrastructure to make that day be…day after day after… and more importantly, at track after track.

I personally don't think it’s a stretch that a different rider on the Aprilla could push the envelope of where they’re at. Rossi with the Yamaha. Stoner on the Ducati. Heck, Acosta did it this weekend, showing that despite Binder being on the ragged edge, the bike could be pushed a bit further, and still finish the race.

If the Aprilla is as close to former Yamaha style corner handling as they say, but with more controlled grunt like the Ducati, maybe the likes of Quateraro, Rins, Acosta etc could elevate the performance to another level? We can only hope.

I think PA31’s future is spoken for over the next two seasons (big pay raise to keep him with GasGas or he‘ll get JM43’s factory seat for 2025 and 2026) so I can’t see him as a possibility.

I could see FQ20 getting an Aprilia offer since he expressed he’ll make a decision soon. His decision space might stretch to after the COTA results.

I think AR42 will probably stick with Yamaha through the 2025 season.

Silly season is going to start early this year.

ctk62

Fabio and Mav pairing back up at Aprilia seems probable, and would be hilarious. But a more likely outcome is Fabio + Jorge Martin. I have a feeling that things won't be too crazy outside of that. Pedro will probably take Jack's seat, Marc will get a factory seat at Ducati, or if there is a Christmas miracle and they get their shit together, Honda. Beyond that I can't think of anything too crazy.

Sorry, I was only referring to riders I thought might have the type of talent/style to bring the Aprilla to a new level. Not necessarily specific moves.

Obviously Quateraro is a real possibility because of his frustrations at Yamaha. But I agree the others will probably stay put.

Martin is an interesting possibility. I haven’t been able to tell whether his drive for a factory seat outweighs his drive for the best bike. Tough call for him.

bmart

Control Rider
Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here.
https://www.ft.com/content/b0872e19-4e69-4dc7-981f-427613ec4e48

Formula One owner Liberty Media is in exclusive talks to buy the company that owns MotoGP for more than €4bn, in a deal that would unite the elite car and motorcycle racing series, according to people familiar with the matter. Liberty, which is chaired by telecoms and entertainment billionaire John Malone, is poised to agree the takeover of Dorna Sports after seeing off a rival bid from TKO, the sports and entertainment group run by Hollywood powerbroker Ari Emanuel, the people said. Qatar Sports Investments, the state-backed group that owns French football club Paris Saint-Germain, had also expressed interest in Dorna and held talks with its owner, Bridgepoint, the private equity firm.

Madrid-based Dorna represents a rare opportunity to buy into a global sport with lucrative commercial rights. Dorna promotes several competitions, including the Superbike World Championship and an electric biking series called MotoE. It organises 251 races a year in 20 countries. Any deal, however, is likely to face regulatory scrutiny. Private equity firm CVC Capital Partners once owned both F1 and MotoGP but was forced to sell the motorcycle series in 2006 as a condition of buying F1 after EU competition regulators raised concerns. CVC sold F1 to Liberty in 2017 in a deal worth $8bn. James Killick, competition lawyer at White & Case, said that the history of F1 and MotoGP and the size of a potential combined group made competition probes “quite likely”, both in countries such as the UK and Germany, and at an EU-wide level. “I’d be very surprised if competition regulators didn’t look at it,” he said. “The question is, has the market changed?” Bridgepoint and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board are the major shareholders in Dorna.

Dorna’s management, including chief executive Carmelo Ezpeleta, are also shareholders. Ezpeleta has led Dorna for 30 years, echoing how Bernie Ecclestone dominated F1 for decades. Bridgepoint, the CPPIB, Dorna, Liberty Media, F1, TKO and QSI declined to comment. Liberty’s offer values Dorna at more than €4bn, including debt. An agreement is close but an announcement could be pushed into next week, one of the people cautioned. Buying MotoGP would give Liberty Media, led by chief executive Greg Maffei, the chance to prove that its success in growing the popularity of F1 was not a one-off. Like F1, the MotoGP business model revolves around broadcast rights, fees from racing circuits, sponsorship, corporate hospitality and merchandising. Under Liberty, F1 has made promoting the sport on social media a priority and gave Netflix unprecedented access to make the reality series Drive to Survive.

The programme focused on the drivers, team bosses and owners and has been credited with growing the sport’s fan base. Liberty has taken F1 to Miami, Las Vegas, Jeddah and Doha, expanding the calendar to a record 24 races this year. F1’s operating profit increased by 64 per cent to $392mn in 2023 from a year earlier, as revenues surged to $3.2bn from $2.5bn. Dorna’s revenues totalled €483mn in 2023. Bridgepoint, which has been a Dorna shareholder for 18 years, owns about 40 per cent of the business that it bought at an enterprise value of €550mn in 2006. The CPPIB bought its 39 per cent stake in Dorna from Bridgepoint in 2012.

From the article in the link at the bottom:

"The change of model that Liberty applied to Formula 1 after finalising its acquisition in 2016 has led the series to skyrocket its level of popularity to levels never seen before."

I think longtime motorsports fans may add that this change of model has also led to some unintended consequences that detract from the sport.

I hope this doesn't happen to MotoGP.

It’s a double edged sword. Attendance seems to be down at many of the tracks, and that can’t be good for the longevity of the sport.

There are critiques of Netflix DTS, but it’s clear that it put more eyes on the sport. Dorna’s iron grip on social media (i.e. deleting every clip on reddit that could have exposed/engaged more fans), coupled with their seemingly complete lack of understanding of the medium, has left MotoGP in need of a new generation of fans.

The liberty rumor has been around for a while - and we can only hope that they would retain the infrastructure that makes for great racing, while building the audience in the ways they excel at.

ctk62

F1 & MotoGP share the same issue around the racing- the vehicle specs are not great. I don't think that's an ownership issue. Plus MotoGP has already committed to a new and hopefully better + simpler spec for 2027 (???) so that is headed in the right direction regardless of who owns it.

On the business side the biggest issue is growing the audience. If Liberty can get free broadcasts and more races in the US they will have done their job there. I'm also hoping for a shorter and more varied calendar. Another race in the US (where do you guys think?), less races in Spain & Italy etc. We will see.

Also, PA31 is an effing superstar- go watch his "Unseen" if you have a Videopass subscription. Liberty/Dorna should leverage the hell out of his star power to a younger audience.

I’m not sure which tracks in the US are currently certified to host MotoGP. I still miss Laguna Seca. But they won’t update the track to satisfy the safety regulations (big $).

Indy used to be pretty boring.

USA should build a track in the desert. Model it after all the best bits from classic tracks that no longer exist.

ctk62

My pick would be Willow Springs if they can sort out the runoff situation. America's own Philip Island. Runner up would be Road Atlanta

ctk62

I think the paddocks have to be better than those self-serve car wash deals too. Along with a media center and all that for broadcasting. This is where that new Liberty Media deal could come in. I think Willow Springs could easily get all those upgrades.

bmart

Control Rider
It was an absolute treat to be there, but honestly, watching from home is SO much better. Breaks when you want. Replays. Can see the whole track. Can invite friends for no extra $...

Totally get it. Can’t imagine I’d want to trade my comfy place on the couch for a seat in the bleachers every time. But at least ONE time!!!

I’m an audio engineer and have been on tour in Austin 4 times during the MotoGP weekend, and have never been able to get to the track. Was also in Australia once for the weekend they raced, but we had already left Melbourne to head up to shows in Sydney.

Come on! Just one time the stars need to align to get me there in person! :)

ctk62

Speaking of watching from home, who is local to Charlotte? I've been looking for other people to watch with. For some reason I get into hobbies that absolutely nobody else is into (does anyone here like jazz lmao)