What is the difference in US vs UK

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Same thing happened to me 2 years ago at Road Atlanta....I didn't really care too much about the directional arrow on the tire because I flip them after every weekend. Steve Brubaker was there and I showed him the tire...there's an overlap in the process when the tire's created when they wrap the rubber around the carcass. I guess after a couple heat cycles or some use with the tire directionally correctly mounted on the rim this won't happen.

So mount your tires correctly the first time and this won't be an issue.

nk140

Phil,

That seams is nothing to be concerned about. It has happened to me once or twice with no effect on performance.

rugbydawg13

philthethrill;269840 wrote: I have brought this to the attention of my race director in moto series and he was suppose to email dunlop. Like ive said its happened four times . Two front two rears, the one in the picture has less then 20 laps on it
u2uty7yj.jpg
5apuna5e.jpg
uvaja2ug.jpg
gu8a5u7e.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
I've had several do that after flipping but never gave me cause for alarm. That seam would show but stay the same. Since it was less depth and width than the sipes, didn't bother me.

...Sent from three hours behind you

JRA

Tested and retested by Dunlop. It's cosmetic only. Good news is I haven't seen it on any of the new stuff.

philthethrill

JRA;270173 wrote: Tested and retested by Dunlop. It's cosmetic only. Good news is I haven't seen it on any of the new stuff.
R u saying the tire I have is ok to race on?

JRA

philthethrill;270212 wrote: R u saying the tire I have is ok to race on?

Yes. No problems at all. The first 211's we saw that all the time, usually after flipping. I haven't been seeing it with the latest tires so they probably have figured out by now. I see the build date on that tire is November 2011 so what you are seeing is pretty normal I would say. It's the way the rubber is wrapped around the tire carcass. The UK stuff is butted at the seam, but the USA stuff overlaps. What you are seeing is a slight separation where the top rubber overlaps the bottom rubber. Brubaker told me they have dyno tested this situation extensively at over 200mph and it's fine. I've run tires that looked a lot worse than that with zero issues and I know a whole lot of people with the same experience. That's why Dunham would be happy to take those tires off your hands. :D This is speculation, but I think from Dunlops standpoint they know it isn't a safety issue but it is a marketing issue. There are probably lots of other people just like you who are now unsure about the quality of the tire because of this. If they belonged to me I wouldn't give it another thought.

philthethrill

If someone wants this tire id love for them to take it. Im sorry I just cant ride on a tire that has holes in it and carcass is coming off. Idk maybe thats just me

JRA

I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding someone to take it. Feel free to leave it with me. :D

JRA

Probably should have just posted this earlier.

What you are seeing is the TREAD SPLICE becoming exposed. This is not the construction of the tire at all. It only the tread rubber that is placed over the carcass when they build the tires. There was an occasional issue with this becoming visible. It was amplified by riders that flipped the tire and ran it in reverse rotation.

The integrity of the carcass is still in place.

If you took a tire groover and added a deep tread cut, that would be the same effect on the tire and its performance.

Its not a safety or performance issue. But it does look like crap, I will give you that.

This issue has been address in the manufacturing process and we have not seen this issue since the 2011 season began.

The reason you do not see this in the UK made tires is because they use a slightly different process in manufacturing (more costly). But the US factory has solved this without costing more (go USA engineers!).
Nationwide
web: www.dunlopracing.com
personal facebook: http://www.facebook.com/steve.r.brubaker
company facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dunlopracing
800-772-TIRE (800-772-8473)

philthethrill

Ok if you guys wana try it out your more then welcome to but I dont want any responsibility. Tire has less rhen 20 laps ill except offers if you guys want it. But im not just going to ship it for free.

noobinacan

anyone else getting some hot tear on US slicks - right side
at Barber, VIR N.

I remember 211GPA's got hot tear, was considered normal...

philthethrill

JRA;270241 wrote: Yes. No problems at all. The first 211's we saw that all the time, usually after flipping. I haven't been seeing it with the latest tires so they probably have figured out by now. I see the build date on that tire is November 2011 so what you are seeing is pretty normal I would say. It's the way the rubber is wrapped around the tire carcass. The UK stuff is butted at the seam, but the USA stuff overlaps. What you are seeing is a slight separation where the top rubber overlaps the bottom rubber. Brubaker told me they have dyno tested this situation extensively at over 200mph and it's fine. I've run tires that looked a lot worse than that with zero issues and I know a whole lot of people with the same experience. That's why Dunham would be happy to take those tires off your hands. :D This is speculation, but I think from Dunlops standpoint they know it isn't a safety issue but it is a marketing issue. There are probably lots of other people just like you who are now unsure about the quality of the tire because of this. If they belonged to me I wouldn't give it another thought.
So can I flip the new gpa dot and slick andn or uk dot?