What's stopping you from your first track day?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
All right Fellas. Can't wait. Just need to update my avatar with me riding around the track. Looking forward to the spring!
Awesome, glad you've signed up on the forum! Ask away if you have any questions about the track, prep, gear, whatever! Welcome!!

pjuanfish

I have a two piece Alpinestars Suite that zips together which I ride in. Are two piece suits allowed at the track?

motorkas

Paul - got an extra back protector for you so you don't have to worry about that, got an extra rear stand (I'm sure we can find another front stand somewhere) and an extra set of tire warmers so you don't have to worry about those either. . .get a set of Dunlop Q3's for tires (don't have an extra set of those:D). . .

You back out now - we're T.Ping your house. . .and I'm slashing your tires. . .its now officially cheaper to do the track day. . .:)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
For your first day, I wouldn't worry about tire warmers. Agree with the Q3s, good tire. They're a hypersport street tire, no warmers required. Not that warmers are a bad thing, my opinion is they aren't necessary for your first day. Keep it simple! :)

pjuanfish

Kas, I could use a back protector, I def. don't have one of those. I was thinking about getting the Michelin Power Supersport tires. How do they compare to the Dunlop Q3's?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I"m not familiar with the Michelin Power Supersport. But, the reviews sound good. I've used the Pilot Power 2CTs, these sound like the next generation. The thing is, you really can't go wrong with any of the hypersport tires. Those sound good, as are the Q3s and the Pirelli Rosso Corsas. Although you could purchase from Shagmoto at the track for a good price and free mount/balance, I'm thinking for your first day it's best to show up with new tires, ready to go. One less thing to worry about, to allow you to focus solely on your day!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Kas, I could use a back protector, I def. don't have one of those. I was thinking about getting the Michelin Power Supersport tires. How do they compare to the Dunlop Q3's?

What size jacket do you wear? I'll give you a back protector if you wear a XL. I'm a 48 jacket.

I'm shooting for May 8 to be my first Day at Summit Point. If you make that your first day as well. Or second day. I'll bring it for you.

pjuanfish

I"m not familiar with the Michelin Power Supersport. But, the reviews sound good. I've used the Pilot Power 2CTs, these sound like the next generation. The thing is, you really can't go wrong with any of the hypersport tires. Those sound good, as are the Q3s and the Pirelli Rosso Corsas. Although you could purchase from Shagmoto at the track for a good price and free mount/balance, I'm thinking for your first day it's best to show up with new tires, ready to go. One less thing to worry about, to allow you to focus solely on your day!

Thanks for your feedback. It seems the Q3s are less expensive as well for a darn good tire. Also, to y0ur point I think I am going to want them mounted and ridden on a bit before my first track day so I can get used to them prior to my first day out.

Pseudolus

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Thanks for your feedback. It seems the Q3s are less expensive as well for a darn good tire. Also, to y0ur point I think I am going to want them mounted and ridden on a bit before my first track day so I can get used to them prior to my first day out.
Slow and easy my friend, you'll be fine.:cool:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yup, Q3 are a great tire at a good price. The Yamaha Champion Rider's School bikes are shod with them. The instructors absolutely rail on them! The siping looks to be a bit better for wet riding than those Michelins, too, another consideration since you'll also use them on the street. Don't worry about "breaking them in" on the street if you don't get time, like Vinny said, a couple of easy laps, gradually increasing lean angle, and you're good to go! Although, if it's a brand you haven't used before, getting used to it a bit can't hurt.

HavocCat

Chris
Looking forward to seeing you out there! I was in your exact position last year doing my first day. If you have any questions or need anything don't be afraid to ask!

Amen!!!! I've tried telling him if he really wants to unleash his beast, the track is where it's at! But then he starts focusing on how his bike is not up to date technologically. And then we go in circles........I'm going to invite him for a day to just watch, with the promise of beer afterwards. I think that will do it.

LOL! Do I remember that!!!! I posted a thread on here with pictures and thankfully, Dzum and HondaGal and other Nesbians answered every insane question I came up with! To go from riding a sport cruiser to picking up a Beamer AND then strapping that sucker to a u-haul, with no skills whatsoever with tools or a motorcycle was HILARIOUS! I think it took 5 hours to get the bike and trailer ready.

But then I'm on the saw mill pkwy in New York heading to NJMP with the trailer, my wife wondering what the hell I'm getting into, and a guy pulls alongside of us on a street legal dirtbike and starts losing his shit right next to us. This guy is so excited, he's screaming "hell yeah" and almost falling off the bike. He knew about the world I was heading towards and man it felt great to see how excited he was for me!

Tell yur buddy about me and JonnyZ and what we ride. Nothing is more weird nowadays than a couple track day riders on 125 two-strokes.

His RC isn't precious, and if he rides it all he ALWAYS faces the possibility of binning it...and binning on the street guarantees its destruction. Most likely anyway.

BZ

Sorry Juan, didn't see you posted.

First, welcome and hope to see you at the track.

Second, if you don't try at least one track day...YOU SUCK!

j/k:p

Seriously, you are about to have mucho fun brother.

BZ

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Another upvote for Q3s. I've seen guys go faster than I thought possible on them. Won't last a whole A session without getting greasy, but it's a small price to pay for not having to bother with warmers. Now that I'm switching back to a 5.5" rim, at least a few sets will be going on the 675.