Beginner or Intermediate

Noranrand

I have attened 6 track days between Thunderbolt and Lightning Are you required to take a class if registered as Novice/Beginner? With these two tracks in particular should I have registered for Intermediate and then if my riding is really all that bad get bumped down? I am pretty smooth and patient, but it is annoying to be forced to take a class lasting the whole morning and part of the afternoon with riders who either have never been on a track or are truly beginners to riding.

stkr

You are NOT required to take a class. :D If you sign up for the B group, then all that is required is to attend the rider's meeting, and the short B/I group meeting afterwards. You will still get ALL of your sessions, as the A group goes out first.

Make sure you READ the Rider's Manual by clicking here and make sure you meet all of the tech requirements.

As far as signing up for B or I... I think with only 6 track days, it would be best to sign up for B, and then see how it goes. If you're smooth, and your skills warrant, then getting bumped up to I is just a matter of lining up to be the first one out behind the lead CR, and getting evaluated. If you are ready, then they will gladly bump you up. NESBA has some really fast/smooth riders in the B group. I'm in I-group, and I can usually hold my own in the A-group of other organizations. Not discrediting the other org's at all, but NESBA tends to make dam sure you're ready before bumping you up to the next level. It's better to be bumped up than to get in over your head and have something unfortunate happen. Without knowing your riding skills, this is what I would suggest.

Whatever you sign up for, just relax and have a good time, and ride within your limits. :cool:

FrostyFire

With 6 track days under your belt you should start in I. If you're too slow for I they'll bump you down to B, but just starting out in B with that much experience will be a painful endeavor IMO.

fossilfuel

Yes, you make a good point. But I'm just saying that if you are faster than average in "B" group at some point you are going to have to wait because you can't pass in the corner. If you are slower in "I" then you can work on your lines while the faster "I" guys are working around you. Plus, sometimes it is hard to get noticed depending on what day it is, availability etc.. if you want a bump.
I have a friend that I ran with at Jennings on Monday that could probably run a consistant 1:48 lap time at Barber. He is in "B" Is he happy? No.

stkr

I guess I should clarify what I was trying to say to Noranrand.

If his skills/style are adequate for the I-group, then it should only take ONE session to get a bump to the I-group from the B-group. The idea of getting evaluated is to be the very first bike out behind the first CR. This automatically lets them know you're wanting to get evaluated.

The trick is getting your ass ready, and up to the staging lanes ahead of everyone else. I tried this at Barber last weekend hoping to get evaluated for the A-group, but even though I showed up at the first call, I was already behind two other riders. I just went out, kept up with them, and then worked on my skills the last few laps at a 90% pace. I should have gone straight to the CR Captain and requested an evaluation earlier, but I waited too long in the day and it rained a bit, so I wasn't going to push it after that.

The point is...IF you're ready, it only takes one session, even if you're new. There have been people go from B -> I -> A, all in one day.

I may have read too much into his post about having to go through a class most of the day, and it cutting into the riding time. If he, or any other new person, has been to 6 track days, but has only had the equivelent of 2-3 days of track time, possibly at a slower pace than the front of B-group, then I will always be cautious recommending a signup straight into the I-group. I guess it's all how you interpret his post.

moto italiano

stkr;21128 wrote: You are NOT required to take a class. :D If you sign up for the B group, then all that is required is to attend the rider's meeting, and the short B/I group meeting afterwards. You will still get ALL of your sessions, as the A group goes out first.

Make sure you READ
the Rider's Manual by clicking here and make sure you meet all of the tech requirements.

As far as signing up for B or I... I think with only 6 track days, it would be best to sign up for B, and then see how it goes. If you're smooth, and your skills warrant, then getting bumped up to I is just a matter of lining up to be the first one out behind the lead CR, and getting evaluated. If you are ready, then they will gladly bump you up. NESBA has some really fast/smooth riders in the B group. I'm in I-group, and I can usually hold my own in the A-group of other organizations. Not discrediting the other org's at all, but NESBA tends to make dam sure you're ready before bumping you up to the next level. It's better to be bumped up than to get in over your head and have something unfortunate happen. Without knowing your riding skills, this is what I would suggest.

Whatever you sign up for, just relax and have a good time, and ride within your limits. :cool:
:agree: couldn't have said it any better...relax, let it flow and let your skills do the talking...the CR's will notice!

FrostyFire

A friend who's definitely faster than me on the street also got stuck in B for 3 days, and he was pissed about it too.

stkr

Frosty - I do understand what you're saying, and can appreciate the frustration your friend has with getting "stuck".

I felt the same way, until I finally realized that there were actually things that I needed to work on before moving up. I was trying to rush the process which would have lead to me going into the I-group ill-prepared. I knew I was "fast enough", but I wasn't "smooth enough" at the time, and it showed. Now I'm trying for the next level, but I'm not pressing to get it done too soon. If it happens, then it's good, but if not, then I'll keep working in the I-group. Hell, I may be in the I-group forever.

Winter time is coming quick, so we'll have plenty of time to debate this over the off season. :D

rk97

I think it's always a smart idea to start in B. It's just the safest bet. As many of us know, B group with NESBA is NOT the same as B group with other trackday orgs. i did several "I" days with other orgs while still running mid pack in NESBA's B group.

one of the Team ProMotion coaches was in B group at BeaveRun last month with NESBA. He was running 1:05s (A group pace) through B group traffic. He was bumped before lunch, and the 'traffic' didn't seem to be bothering him much. To me, that's the sign of when you're really ready.

When everyone is suddenly easy to pass, the CRs steal all your joy and bump you to "I" where it's hard to pass again! :doh:

jimgl3

fossilfuel;21154 wrote: Yes, you make a good point. But I'm just saying that if you are faster than average in "B" group at some point you are going to have to wait because you can't pass in the corner. If you are slower in "I" then you can work on your lines while the faster "I" guys are working around you. Plus, sometimes it is hard to get noticed depending on what day it is, availability etc.. if you want a bump.
I have a friend that I ran with at Jennings on Monday that could probably run a consistant 1:48 lap time at Barber. He is in "B" Is he happy? No.
This is a unique opinion around here:notsure:

Noranrand

Thanks guys for the advice. Since classes aren't manitory it should work out. In any case I'll stick behind the CR's and get evaluated.

Meat

FrostyFire;21134 wrote: With 6 track days under your belt you should start in I. If you're too slow for I they'll bump you down to B, but just starting out in B with that much experience will be a painful endeavor IMO.
I don't know about this. The I group is slammed full with huge variance in abilities. I think 6 track days is really not so many. I am not saying that someone can't gain the skills in that short of time, I am saying it is just not the norm.

Go out, be smooth, don't charge your turns, adapt to changing situations on the track and you will be bumped.

Keeping someone in B group is not just for the safety of the rider but also for the safety of the riders in I group. So, getting the bump is not just about the individual getting bumped.

Keith

I have a ?. I thought if u were signing up for Nesba u had to sign up in (B) group if you were a new guy. (I) was only avaliable when u received the bump. Am I incorrect?

Katie785

FrostyFire;21221 wrote: A friend who's definitely faster than me on the street also got stuck in B for 3 days, and he was pissed about it too.
The street should never be compared to the track. There are no race lines on the track. There is no consistency, breaking markers or "turn in" points, there are only obstacles to avoid.

When Drew and I first met I invited him along for a street ride. I was stupid then and rode as though the street was the track. He barely kept up and that was when i was in I group and he had been a CR for awhile. Being "fast" on the street to me almost just shows that you have less regard for safety. Luckily, I learned before something bad happened.

Start in B - if you are consistent, smooth and patient - you'll be noticed. We are always watching and can spot a guy (or girl) who's ready right away. Nesba's I group, as said in other posts, has a much faster median speed than the "I" group of others orgs, so making sure you're completely ready is a very important thing. You'll learn the most when you're comfortable out there and having fun... because that's what this is all about right? FUN!!

almano

Keith;21763 wrote: I have a ?. I thought if u were signing up for Nesba u had to sign up in (B) group if you were a new guy. (I) was only avaliable when u received the bump. Am I incorrect?
That's what I thought me stupid....
You can sign up to I first time. All my friends signed up to I after i signed up first to B.:banghead: Now I am stuck in B and they riding in I, although i am as fast as they are or even faster...
I just hate to ask things. So I never ask for a bump because i know if i have to show that I can go fast i will mess up. I hope one day someone see that I am just struggling in B with the slow crowd and i get a bump...:dunno:

FrostyFire

Katie785;21780 wrote: The street should never be compared to the track. There are no race lines on the track. There is no consistency, breaking markers or "turn in" points, there are only obstacles to avoid.
Sure there is, if you do the same roads all the time LOL. This isn't the recommended or legal answer, but it is true.

Anyway he was only running a couple seconds slower than me but definitely well below the recommended "I" lap time. His body position was very good.