Beginner or Intermediate

snikwad

Why does nesba even allow you the option to sign up for "I"

Now I'm thinking a good percentage of "I" may belong in "B" but are "I" because they signed up for it, instead of earning it like the rest of us.
I mean, I know you can get bumped down, but how often does it happen?

FrostyFire

Well, everyone I know that went down to Pacific from Canada all started in B. Some of us got bumped pretty quickly. The people I know who are currently riding in A (about 10 of them), most of them are doing so with 5 or less days under their belt. I was being evaluated for a bump before wadding it on my last track day personally, and if it wasn't for that I'd probably be in there too, and that was my 4th track day. Hence why if you've already done 6 track days, I think you should start in I because you know the ropes and all you have to do is learn the track (if it's new to you). I'm not saying that this guy should line up first in line 1 of the I group and try be a hero either.

Steve

I signed up in B. I'm in I now and I've seen a number of new riders where I see them 2-3 times per session in the morning, but don't see them the rest of the day, so I assume they asked to be moved or got moved to B.:dunno: Not a frequent occurrence, but it does happen.

snikwad

While that does make sense I think we all should still start in B.
If you're good, they'll move you up. I just made "I" and I'm not sure but I have a feeling I'm gonna be here for a while.
Lol.

FrostyFire

snikwad;21801 wrote: While that does make sense I think we all should still start in B.
If you're good, they'll move you up. I just made "I" and I'm not sure but I have a feeling I'm gonna be here for a while.
Lol.
They give you the option to start in I for the very reason that IF you already have track day experience you can start in I if you want. One of our guys who's been riding for 20 years who had never done a track day, he was in B for about 3 laps, they told him to GET OUT and go to I because he's a menace, and he was in A before lunch. The time the CR spent throwing him out of B in the first place could have been helping someone else.

jimgl3

i hated B group at Rd Atlanta for all the obvious reasons, liter bikes go by in the straights and then park in the turns, etc.

but i must say, at Barber, I hardly even noticed. even after I got familiar with the track, I hardly noticed the other riders... except when Derek passed me ... hee hee hee!

Meat

Frosty,

Maybe Canadians are just naturally higher skilled riders than here in the US, but if everyone with 6 track days was in Advanced then Advanced would be totally packed. In the Southeast Nesba, the advanced group is pretty sparse many track days, and Intermediate is always slammed.

Beginner is definitely more packed than advanced. So logic would dictate that most people do not bump to intermediate or advanced in 6 track days. So why not be safe and have a rider prove himself rather than have him place himself in a group he does not belong and if it takes 4 sessions to get bumped into the proper group, that shouldn't be a big deal. It is much better to have a controlled rider held back a few sessions than it is to have a squid cause a crash or frustration in a group he is not skilled enough to be in.

I agree with snikwad in that there are definitely people in I that don't seem skilled enough to be there....like the riders who use the ENTIRE track when they don't need it....brake too early, too hard, unpredictable. But I have to admit some of these people have heightened my skills in crash avoidance.

That being said, I do feel that the vast majority of Intermediates belong in intermediate.

snikwad

Meat;21967 wrote: Frosty,

Maybe Canadians are just naturally higher skilled riders than here in the US, but if everyone with 6 track days was in Advanced then Advanced would be totally packed. In the Southeast Nesba, the advanced group is pretty sparse many track days, and Intermediate is always slammed.

Beginner is definitely more packed than advanced. So logic would dictate that most people do not bump to intermediate or advanced in 6 track days. So why not be safe and have a rider prove himself rather than have him place himself in a group he does not belong and if it takes 4 sessions to get bumped into the proper group, that shouldn't be a big deal. It is much better to have a controlled rider held back a few sessions than it is to have a squid cause a crash or frustration in a group he is not skilled enough to be in.

I agree with snikwad in that there are definitely people in I that don't seem skilled enough to be there....like the riders who use the ENTIRE track when they don't need it....brake too early, too hard, unpredictable. But I have to admit some of these people have heightened my skills in crash avoidance.

That being said, I do feel that the vast majority of Intermediates belong in intermediate.
hey now, go easy on me, im new to "I"

FrostyFire

Meat;21967 wrote: Frosty,

If you've done 6 track days, you shouldn't be all over the place, braking early, too hard or be unpredictable.

I completely agree that if you've never had track day experience that you should definitely start in B, but if you DO have quite a few days under your belt, it's not necessary. What if a racer decided to start doing track days with Nesba....should he or she start in B too?

Meat

FrostyFire;22074 wrote: If you've done 6 track days, you shouldn't be all over the place, braking early, too hard or be unpredictable.

I completely agree that if you've never had track day experience that you should definitely start in B, but if you DO have quite a few days under your belt, it's not necessary. What if a racer decided to start doing track days with Nesba....should he or she start in B too?
Not if they have a race license, but if they can not produce one the day of registration or inspection, he can just do beginner and get bumped.

Frosty, no big deal, we just do not feel the same on this issue. No problem. Nesba does a pretty darn good job so I think they have it under control. I am very happy with my Nesba experiences so far, including bumping riders and controlling the race track. Of course people will slip through the cracks from time to time.

riddler

I wish they wouldn't allow people to sign straight into the I group. I started this year in the I group of 2 orgs. NESBA's I group was great... the other org (a good org too) has some people that do not belong in I. Soiled my leathers once or twice setting someone up to pass after a small kink I calmly take at full throttle, when the person in front grabs a handful of brake... While I am friendly to both orgs, I think the discipline of the NESBA setup is what sets this org apart.

FrostyFire

Or, they could setup some kind of structure for the very first session of NEW "I" riders to Nesba. Have the group of brand new people go out with a CR at the back of the pack for immediate evaluation. If you fail at life then you get bumped down.....if you don't you get to stay. That would be the best solution!

Meat

FrostyFire;22410 wrote: Or, they could setup some kind of structure for the very first session of NEW "I" riders to Nesba. Have the group of brand new people go out with a CR at the back of the pack for immediate evaluation. If you fail at life then you get bumped down.....if you don't you get to stay. That would be the best solution!
Now you are cracking me up. You aren't being serious, are you?

dolfnz67

I must admit that I've been to tracks with Nesba where some of the I riders obviously did not belong. That being said, I'm sure these are the same people that signed up into I group without going through B group. So, I would vote for everyone starting at B and working their way up. If they feel they don't belong, they can ask to get evaluated. Nothing wrong with that.

stkr

This is good entertainment while sitting here at work after getting called back in :D

:popcorn:

It's basically the rider's choice, and they will know after the first session whether or not they made the correct one. Of course, all of the other riders and CR's will know as well. If they're not ready, then they'll get a quick lesson on what it's like to be passed.