Chic Rider New To NESBA

ROCKIT

The CR's are where it's at - find one to follow around the track - follow his line, take his advice afterwards, ask as many questions as you can. Also ask other riders for advice throughout the day as questions pop up in your mind.
Before then, read up on track riding and watch videos online of riders at VIR to get to know the track ahead of time.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Each day. But for events with 2 consecutive days, you pay full price for the first day, but then get $10 off each subsequent day. So it'll be $165 for the first day, and $155 for the second.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Depends somewhat on the region, and your preference to warmer or cooler weather. I personally don't like to ride on the track when it's below the upper 50s/low60s, but that's just me. I won't ride on the street when it's colder than that, either. Some folks don't mind riding when it's 40/50 out. So I like May-September around my area. :) I've done some April and October events if it's been warmer.

rk97

yeah, personal preference is always a factor, and most of us probably do 4-10 events a year, so we spread them out over several months.

I have ridden in April and had it be damn near perfect weather (4/19/08 - my first TD. I got sun burnt), and I have ridden in mid May and had it be 40 degrees and raining. (to be fair, I didn't actually ride in that; I drank beer and played poker - but the track was green, and other people rode.)

chicrider07r6

Well why I ask is me and my fiance are trying to figure out when to go. We first thought on going to VIR July but were not sure that we wont to go when its that hot. And he mentioned going in april to road atlanta.

rk97

I'd prefer to ride in oppressive heat than ridiculous cold, but the sooner you can get on track the better.

Then if you want to go again, you have more time to schedule additional events. There are people who do 1 or 2 trackdays a year, but I think they're the minority. Most people do one, and then they're back every couple months...

avizpls

#11-A
I try for one a month. As a matter of preference, I don't double up on weekends. That way, the same $ gives me a more even sprinkling of days through the summer :D

rk97

avizpls;169131 wrote: I try for one a month. As a matter of preference, I don't double up on weekends. That way, the same $ gives me a more even sprinkling of days through the summer :D
And I do the exact opposite to get the most bang for my buck :p

If I'm going to drive 7.5 hours to New Jersey, and blow $100 on tolls getting there and back, you best believe I'm going to ride both days!

Thankfully, my wife is supportive of this logic. the further I travel, the more likely I am to ride back-to-back days.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I prefer the heat, too. That way I'm confident the my tires are warm!! :)
I also like doing 2 days (or more!) in a row. I figure, I've driven all that way...
Plus, I like having the second day to dial things in that I may have learned the day before.

I'm not sure what the temps are in Atlanta in April....

slowpoke

^^ +1 on both. Prefer the heat over cold for traction and also doing two days in a row.

Two days in a row maximizes my travel expense and I've found that my biggest improvements have come on the 2nd day of a riding weekend.

avizpls

#11-A
damn you too then! Maybe I'll put that strategy in place next year. It would make it more worth-while to hit the road for some new tracks.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
avizpls;169141 wrote: damn you too then! Maybe I'll put that strategy in place next year. It would make it more worth-while to hit the road for some new tracks.
Yeah, you should! Plus, it's fun hanging out with everyone the night after the first day, since most are staying for the second day. Sometimes a bunch of us will go out to dinner, or have a bbq in the pits.

chicrider07r6

That sounds like lots of fun. I guess if you do travel that far it more worth it to pay the money and do the whole weekend than one day. And I would much rather ride when its hot that way your tires do stick better.

slowpoke

HondaGalToo;169142 wrote: Yeah, you should! Plus, it's fun hanging out with everyone the night after the first day, since most are staying for the second day. Sometimes a bunch of us will go out to dinner, or have a bbq in the pits.
for me it was all about the track in the beginning. now i look as forward to camping, eating with, and hanging with everyone as i do the tracktime.