Confession: Road atlanta close calls

snikwad

im telling you guys, that little black line going up the hill exiting T10B is a little ripple, and i swear all the accidents there were caused by it. most of the other guys seemed to highside off of it, you lowsides.
i felt that ripple every lap and people thought i was crazy when i asked them if they felt the ripple exiting 10B.
I feel EVERYTHING with my bike, and road atlanta is a bumpy ass track.
hopefull the next time i visit there my front end will be sorted out and connected and i'll have my confidence back and be able to go faster and not be a rolling speed bump.

stow

snikwad;49471 wrote: im telling you guys, that little black line going up the hill exiting T10B is a little ripple, and i swear all the accidents there were caused by it. most of the other guys seemed to highside off of it, you lowsides.
i felt that ripple every lap and people thought i was crazy when i asked them if they felt the ripple exiting 10B.
I feel EVERYTHING with my bike, and road atlanta is a bumpy ass track.
hopefull the next time i visit there my front end will be sorted out and connected and i'll have my confidence back and be able to go faster and not be a rolling speed bump.
Did you ride it before they repaved it? It was bumpy everywhere. I know the seam/bump you are talking about coming out of 10b. My front soaks it up pretty well, but the rear lets me know it is there.

snikwad

stow;49499 wrote: Did you ride it before they repaved it? It was bumpy everywhere. I know the seam/bump you are talking about coming out of 10b. My front soaks it up pretty well, but the rear lets me know it is there.
no, 1st time there. my bike does the same thing over it too. but everywhere else, my front felt sooo disconnected. :(

meanstrk

Control Rider
I went through ahead of him since I am in the 2nd clip too!

Believe it or not, my wife also got a clip of your wreck too since she was right there with a video cam also.

Oh, wait.... Can I talk now?

silvertop27

^ yeah, thats why i dont say sh1t to anyone even when they cut close or pass me on the inside.
both happen atleast every trackday.
I accidentally pass some dude kinda close the other day, i put the hand up as soon as i exited and thumbs up asking if he was ok, i think i startled him, but he was cool about it, gave me a thumbs up back and i was off.

Hey Rhon,
If that was in turn two and three, then I think it was me. It was all good you were not that close, (otherwise, I would have had to follow you to the pit) LOL Nice pass man! I had a great day, I hope everyone else did as well. And that is all I am going to say. Really, its over! I mean it!

Ruhe52

Road Atlanta is as smooth as a dimpled babies ass. That ripple out of 10b will cause squirm but highsides????????????

Meat

I agree that Road Atlanta isn't so rough. I think the riders in the SouthEast are just spoiled with such prestine tracks. I have only ridden Barber, Road Atlanta and CMP in the SouthEast and I wouldn't call any of them bumpy.

snikwad

silvertop27;49558 wrote: ^ yeah, thats why i dont say sh1t to anyone even when they cut close or pass me on the inside.
both happen atleast every trackday.
I accidentally pass some dude kinda close the other day, i put the hand up as soon as i exited and thumbs up asking if he was ok, i think i startled him, but he was cool about it, gave me a thumbs up back and i was off.

Hey Rhon,
If that was in turn two and three, then I think it was me. It was all good you were not that close, (otherwise, I would have had to follow you to the pit) LOL Nice pass man! I had a great day, I hope everyone else did as well. And that is all I am going to say. Really, its over! I mean it!
hahah, hey whats up bud. yeah i passed a few people there, but i specifically remember cutting aweful close to someone at T7.
It was a good day for me, regardless of how the bike was feeling, i learnt a lot.

Road Atlanta is as smooth as a dimpled babies ass. That ripple out of 10b will cause squirm but highsides????????????
i think so, carry enough speed through 10B and get on the gas at the apex and hit that thing cranked over with a less than ideal suspension or tire, and it could happen.
Iirc there were 2 accidents at the exit of 10B, the one shown here and and a guy with a blue zx10 on saturday, said he was getting on the gas exiting 10b, then slip then he was doing the superman flip.

snikwad

Meat;49645 wrote: I agree that Road Atlanta isn't so rough. I think the riders in the SouthEast are just spoiled with such prestine tracks. I have only ridden Barber, Road Atlanta and CMP in the SouthEast and I wouldn't call any of them bumpy.
well apart from summit point (post repave), ive ridden all smooth tracks, VIR, NJMP.
i guess i shouldnt call it bumpy, its more lumpy. in some spots. heard it was worse in the past.

Meat

snikwad;49651 wrote: well apart from summit point (post repave), ive ridden all smooth tracks, VIR, NJMP.
i guess i shouldnt call it bumpy, its more lumpy. in some spots. heard it was worse in the past.
See I am afraid of getting too used to these smooth tracks, then when I move somewhere else, I will have to drive all the way back to the SE to keep my fillings from falling out of my teeth. :)

My next track is VIR-North and I am guessing that one is as smooth as Britney Spears' super highway of love.

snikwad

havent done north, only south. we're planning for the 4th of july weekend south then north. since last year we did south and went home.
south was mad smooth, only one ripple spot.

Dre01SS

Lol

Yeah bike and I were alright, almost rode the last session of the day too.

As for the crash, I know the pace I can run and blame myself. I think I leaned the bike a bit too much for those tires and the rubber just wasn't there. The times i've ran the track on those qualifiers I was always self-aware that I was on street tires, but @ RA in that specific session, I snapped back to my old racing groove and forgot about it, got too comfortable and the rest is history.

As for Barber this weekend, Dunlop race DOTs are going on the bike.
justariot66;49467 wrote: OK yeah you fell but where was meanstreak and saxman at the time of the incident? Thats the big question!

Anyway it doesnt look like you did anything wrong. Do you think it was your fault or a freak thing or do you blame the tires?

Were you and the bike alright?

Dave #66

blip

snikwad;49650 wrote: hahah, hey whats up bud. yeah i passed a few people there, but i specifically remember cutting aweful close to someone at T7.
It was a good day for me, regardless of how the bike was feeling, i learnt a lot.

i think so, carry enough speed through 10B and get on the gas at the apex and hit that thing cranked over with a less than ideal suspension or tire, and it could happen.
Iirc there were 2 accidents at the exit of 10B, the one shown here and and a guy with a blue zx10 on saturday, said he was getting on the gas exiting 10b, then slip then he was doing the superman flip.
Snik, actually there was another highside there on Sunday a few sessions prior to that one. I was a corner behind that one, so didn't catch it. :wow:

blip

meanstrk;49512 wrote: I went through ahead of him since I am in the 2nd clip too!

Believe it or not, my wife also got a clip of your wreck too since she was right there with a video cam also.

Oh, wait.... Can I talk now?

Were you with Meat in that group? I finally caught up with the tail of that group and had the most fun I've had in years! It was a group of 10+ for a while. Clean passes, and repasses, great riders!

dj life

Im putting this vid here so i dont start a new thread. Its not a close call or anything , just 3 laps later in the day on sunday. Youtube has compressed the shit out of it and took the music off but im gonna switch it out with just the sounds from the track when i get back .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7VttIw0FSI

(heres the one with sound)

Tell me what ya think

blip

dj life;49734 wrote: Im putting this vid here so i dont start a new thread. Its not a close call or anything , just 3 laps later in the day on sunday. Youtube has compressed the shit out of it and took the music off but im gonna switch it out with just the sounds from the track when i get back .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH-DZJrTXfk

Tell me what ya think

Nice, smooth and fast. You blew by that RC like it was parked! :eek:

Chad Dupree

dj life;49734 wrote: Im putting this vid here so i dont start a new thread. Its not a close call or anything , just 3 laps later in the day on sunday. Youtube has compressed the shit out of it and took the music off but im gonna switch it out with just the sounds from the track when i get back .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH-DZJrTXfk

Tell me what ya think
Looks good. Couple things could be better. This is just my OPINION/2 cents.

It looks like your blowing the apex in turns 1 and 6, and a little bit in turn 3. Turn 5 and 10a and 10b look good. Do you have turn in reference points?

The problem with missing the apex is you get on the throttle late. You should be getting on the throttle at the apex. Once you get to the apex all your turning should have been done already and at this point you should be driving out of the corner. This is of course except with bowl turns.

I think you should slow your entry speed down some and concentrate on hittiing the apex and getting on the throttle at the apex. Once you get comfortable with that then pick your entry speed up.

Great vid, good riding.
Hope this makes sense, and helps alittle.