Not good weekend

noobinacan

Glad NESBA is making these changes.
It is true, I found myself coming back to the pits and telling my buddy "what's up with pace of some folks in I"
and red flag doesn't mean do 60 on the back straight....

and traffic really wasn't that bad...don't know what all the crying is about
- either the people in front of you are slower, which means just go around em in a courteous manner. Don't do to them something you don't want done to you on the track...plain and simple.
or
- the people in front of you are same pace...which is even better cause that just means fun times giving each other passes.

riding alone on empty track is BORING!

eiiipo

noobinacan;184998 wrote: Glad NESBA is making these changes.
It is true, I found myself coming back to the pits and telling my buddy "what's up with pace of some folks in I"
and red flag doesn't mean do 60 on the back straight....

and traffic really wasn't that bad...don't know what all the crying is about
- either the people in front of you are slower, which means just go around em in a courteous manner. Don't do to them something you don't want done to you on the track...plain and simple.
or
- the people in front of you are same pace...which is even better cause that just means fun times giving each other passes.

riding alone on empty track is BORING!
:agree:

cupcakes

For me Sunday was awesome! Yea, there was several red flags, but that happens. It is so early in the season and people get excited and forget that some skills may have been forgotten during the winter. I think all the people involved in the event went above and beyond and way out of their to try and ensure that members had a fun and safe time. I did see some dirty passing, I also did see some incognito CRs TRY and pull in the offenders who would not pit. (Can we say big nono and I am glad I was not that person at the end of the day). All and all, thanks to the staff and members for allowing me to ride the crap out of my bike. I had an amazing time and I can't wait to do it again.

PS The meet and greets are great! The chicken was some of the best I've had in a long time so thanks to Joey for providing that and the grill man (Pitzer?) for cooking. Yummmmmm.

arhale09

eagletangogreen;184969 wrote: to the OP!

I usually never come here on these "complaint threads" BUT
I saw this going on in the A group also. You NEVER check up on the YELLOW flag, especially raise your hand. I dont mean to be rude, but that might be a big reason why the rider behind you hit you. I know it sucks it happens to all of us and its part of the sport, it just is.

You have to have SA (situational awareness) not only in front of you but also what might be behind you. Always ride like there's someone on your back wheel.

There was a alot of guys in A group also but I dealt with it and had a lot of fun..

Hope you heal up quick, and get back on the track sooner than later..

Cheers.

MFLZ!
I dunno man, if I see a yellow flag waving at VIR turn 7 or Barber T-4, I'm gonna be closer to 80% than 90%. There could be a cone on the track, oil, anything. Does it mean I've chopped the gas? Of course not. But if I can't see the hazard but the CW's are telling me there is one, I'm gonna back it down a hair. I was under the impression that was the point of yellow flags...

rugbydawg13

Hell, I liked the slow ass demo riders in B group. I'm on an older, slower 600 so I had a hard time reeling in guys in front of me at times that were often slower in the turns. When they sometimes got held up by the "yellow shirts", it allowed me to close the gap enough to get them on the brakes in the next corner. When ya don't have much, you take what you can get. :D

Matt H

arhale09;185010 wrote: I dunno man, if I see a yellow flag waving at VIR turn 7 or Barber T-4, I'm gonna be closer to 80% than 90%. There could be a cone on the track, oil, anything. Does it mean I've chopped the gas? Of course not. But if I can't see the hazard but the CW's are telling me there is one, I'm gonna back it down a hair. I was under the impression that was the point of yellow flags...
Agreed. And for Louis, a trackday is going to be a bit different than racing: we don't differentiate between standing and waving yellow flags (nor use the striped yellow flags), and easing up when an approaching an unknown yellow is not "letting a competitor gain on you to overtake you later" or the like - I'm just saying that I think that the mentality is different and errs to the side of caution at a trackday - there's nothing to win and lots to lose. I was not there for this incident, and probably would not agree with throwing my hand up, but I absolutely would back it down a notch approaching a new yellow flag.

eagletangogreen

arhale09;185010 wrote: I dunno man, if I see a yellow flag waving at VIR turn 7 or Barber T-4, I'm gonna be closer to 80% than 90%. There could be a cone on the track, oil, anything. Does it mean I've chopped the gas? Of course not. But if I can't see the hazard but the CW's are telling me there is one, I'm gonna back it down a hair. I was under the impression that was the point of yellow flags...
Your completely correct!!!
Ride 80%-90%. Thats not checking up and raising your hand.

What you stated above is exactly what you should do.. ;)

eagletangogreen

Matt H;185017 wrote: Agreed. And for Louis, a trackday is going to be a bit different than racing: we don't differentiate between standing and waving yellow flags (nor use the striped yellow flags), and easing up when an approaching an unknown yellow is not "letting a competitor gain on you to overtake you later" or the like - I'm just saying that I think that the mentality is different and errs to the side of caution at a trackday - there's nothing to win and lots to lose. I was not there for this incident, and probably would not agree with throwing my hand up, but I absolutely would back it down a notch approaching a new yellow flag.
Your right Matt

Im just going to back into my little cave now :(

rk97

MDohn1234;184784 wrote: A few of us guys said f--- it, " we are going to make SAFE passes on ANYONE and ANYWHERE and if we are asked to leave , who cares"
If you have legitimate complaints about the day being over-crowded or other riders conducting themselves in a manner that was unsafe, I believe you lose all right to complain as soon as you choose to become part of the problem.

Mikey75702

rk97;185030 wrote: If you have legitimate complaints about the day being over-crowded or other riders conducting themselves in a manner that was unsafe, I believe you lose all right to complain as soon as you choose to become part of the problem.
:agree:

And I wish a cr would have seen you doing this on the track... karma would have been nice when you got sent home for blatantly disregarding the rules and safety of your fellow riders. And it really sucks to read Linda got upset at these actions and felt it was better to sit out. Hopefully if this situation ever arises again you choose to go home instead of making others feel unsafe.

cupcakes

After talking with Talyor, I think that people can mean different things by different phrases. By "roll off the throttle" I mean I would back down to 80-90% so that I've got more time to react. Taylor thinks "roll of the throttle" means shutting it down and getting off the gas. That's just semantics in the long run. I think the big point people miss about the yellow flag is NO passing.

I felt like last year there was a difference between waving and standing yellow, but I have been to lots of different riders meetings so I could be mistaken. I like having a difference between waving and standing. Waving just let's me know that there is something in the corner on the track surface that you better be ready for. It is a way to get more critical information to the riders as soon as possible. That being said, I've also seen a corner worker manage to wave three flags at once and that can definitely get confusing. Gotta find that happy medium, and I would never complain about the way the flag situation is being handled by nesba.

rk97

Lean.In.;184926 wrote:
#2. I hear the rules in the meeting but saw: Passing BY A CR on the inside of turn 7 (after that straight after the esses?? I have no doubt he was in complete control and knew where he was, but it kinda sends the wrong message and may spook a new rider IMO)
I do not speak for NESBA, but it has always been my understanding that the rules do not apply to control riders. 99% of the time, control riders will obey the group rules to set a good example (as you suggested), but they are not obligated to do so when they're trying to get through traffic, or demonstrate something to other riders. Clearly I did not witness the specific incident you saw, and it's always possible that the control rider made a mistake or a bad decision, but I find that to be the exception to the rule.

Mikey75702

rk97;185045 wrote: I do not speak for NESBA, but it has always been my understanding that the rules do not apply to control riders. 99% of the time, control riders will obey the group rules to set a good example (as you suggested), but they are not obligated to do so when they're trying to get through traffic, or demonstrate something to other riders. Clearly I did not witness the specific incident you saw, and it's always possible that the control rider made a mistake or a bad decision, but I find that to be the exception to the rule.
The control rider might have seen someone doing something unsafe ahead of you and felt it was needed to get by you in a hurry to stop the other rider from hurting someone. I am sure they will do that without thinking if they feel confident you can handle it and the situation requires it.

rk97

or a rider ran way wide and the CR couldn't run that (incorrect) line at the speed he was carrying; or the CR was pointing out the apex to another rider and couldn't do it from 8' off the apex behind the other rider, etc. Could have been a lot of valid reasons, or like I said, it could have been a mistake. The control riders aren't infallible; just stinkin' fast.

jimgl3

quote: "I hear the rules in the meeting but saw: Passing BY A CR on the inside of turn 7 (after that straight after the esses??"

has little to do with the thread except above, but if it weren't for stuff like Floyd passing me in turn 6, B group would not have been as fun. and i don't think they do it unless they see you can handle it.

borgNSR

If you are on your personal limit, and get sweetly carved up the inside (and you still have track to ride on), and you are NOT laughing your head off in your helmet, you are the problem. Pack it up and go home, because you don't have what it takes to enjoy yourself in this sport. If you get done up dirty in T1, or T2 or T(n), where you never expected it, they either suck, saved you from a wreck between the pair of you, or they didn't think it was safe to stay behind any longer and get asspacked themselves. If they suck, pass them back. If they don't suck, put your bruised sense of entitlement away and learn. Otherwise, quit now, it doesn't get any better. The passes get closer and the humiliation more amazing and profound, until the pride is gone, or you've quit with what little is left.

To the OP, it sucks that the rider behind you didn't have the talent to save you from your situation. Getting asspacked is an awful, out-of-control feeling. Realizing you've contributed to it sucks worse. Heal up fast.

Lean.In.

jimgl3;185066 wrote: quote: "I hear the rules in the meeting but saw: Passing BY A CR on the inside of turn 7 (after that straight after the esses??"

has little to do with the thread except above, but if it weren't for stuff like Floyd passing me in turn 6, B group would not have been as fun. and i don't think they do it unless they see you can handle it.
He didnt do it to me, I saw him doing it near someone else. And he didnt stuff the dude, it was safe, I was just a little confused to see it happen by a CR...although, a good point above, he could have been tracking someone down or something.

I did personally get passed on the inside a couple times, but (this time) no big deal...if it took me out, another story.

Also, I dont even know who the CR was, just saw an orange shirt cut up the inside, and even if I did know who it was I wouldnt say, I just wanted to point out that I saw it happen, and see how I should take that. I got some good answers, so Ill remember that.

I just want to reiterate that all in all, it was a killer weekend, and Sunday was badass. I drug my knee for the first time, then many times after...ha. Ill use NESBA again for sure (WHEN THEY ARE BACK IN THE SE!!)

Kegger

Since its the internet and everyone has their .02................

I dont think I have EVER slowed down on a yellow, unless I was about to pass someone, and even at that its a minor throttle adjustment, not a chop.

A yellow to me means that there is an anomaly somewhere ahead of you that may or may not require attention on your part. Have I had to change a line due to a yellow? Yes. It does NOT mean to slow down and doing so can end bad for everyone involved. Dont do it. If you just saw it, chances are the guy behind you hasnt yet, and if he is setting you up for a pass, he may already be going 10-15mph faster than you! While we are at it, dont come off pace whether hot pitting or exiting the track until AFTER you get off the race line! I cannot count the times that I have nearly ass packed someone due to a chopped throttle.

Ahhhh................feels nice.

Maybe someone who has the definitive explanation of a yellow flag can elaborate.

As far as an "IDEA" for the NESBA org. - in the morning meetings whether they are the B,I,A meetings, create standard work documents for everything that needs to be mentioned. Then, just read off of those documents. Successful companies have been doing this for decades (standard work) and integrity of the information presented cannot be questioned when it is being presented in such a consistent manner. I would rather hear a scripted dissertation of all points that need to be discussed versus seeing something overlooked that results in an injury to myself or another rider. In the name of safety and fun, I doubt anybody would complain, and if they do, it just shows what kind of attitude they have toward their fellow riders.