Number one thing to improve NESBA

headstart

Your point wasn't valid to me, so have fun. This isn't the Marines, it's a recreational hobby for almost all of us. Quit being a troll and messing up this thread, go start a new thread to argue with everyone.

alphamale

headstart;97214 wrote: Your point wasn't valid to me, so have fun. This isn't the Marines, it's a recreational hobby for almost all of us. Quit being a troll and messing up this thread, go start a new thread to argue with everyone.
I'm sorry again for commenting on what I thought was an important discussion on improving NESBA.

racer23

Alpha,

The point is, you EARNED the bump to :i: just as you EARNED the bump to :a:. Just because someone else took the easy way does not in the least diminish your accomplishment. As Jordan stated above, and I did earlier in the thread, we have tools in place to deal with people who overestimate their own ability. You didn't, and earned your spot.
Be proud that your ability placed you in the :a: group, some never make it that far.

rk97

slowpoke;97177 wrote: I'm all for improvements that bring in new members. But, is 18-24 really the demographic that NESBA is targeting? OR are you saying (RK) they would bring longevity similar to your bmw analogy?

When i was 19, there was no way i could afford a bike, let alone TDs. So, i had to wait until i could afford it rather than look for clubs that would bend over backwards for me to do 1 day per year. And if i'm honest, you would not have wanted me on a racetrack at that age (i'm speaking only for myself at age 19).

From what i see, this sport/hobby/addiction seems to be more of the 30+ crowd, and they are the ones with more stable incomes that can do 15+ days per year. I'm not sure the new member that does 2 or 3 days a year benefits nesba like the new junkie w/ a pocketful coin.

:notsure:
I'm saying an 18-24 year old, even if they can only do 1 or 2 days a year until they're 30, will eventually be 30, and have that disposable income you're talking about.

If they're still living at home, they might have quite a bit of disposable income now. I was wealthiest between the time i graduated from college and the time I moved out of my parents' house. I make considerably more money now than I did then, but I have 2 cars, 2 bikes, a dog, a wife, and a mortgage. Who's really got the DISPOSABLE income?

again, i'm not suggesting that the $40 difference WILL break anyone's bank - but no one chooses to pay more arbitrarily. Crash insurance and rain insurance mean a lot to you and me becuase we understand the value. when I booked my first trackday, I don't recall caring about either.

gaining people's loyalty early is far easier than winning them over when they've ridden with STT exclusively for even 2 or 3 years. If you get the young crowd, you get customers for 40+ years. If you inadvertently exclude them, you have to convert people. And maybe that's not a bad thing. I wouldn't have a problem with NESBA being "the luxury brand of track days." It's where everyone wants to end up - but I think that changes the marketing quite a bit, and is an admission that you don't particularly cater to beginners.

as has been said, NESBA will never be all things to all people, so maybe we don't want to be explicitly going after 19 yr olds as a 'target' audience, but if they're going to other orgs instead, I think it's something to consider (and if Tommy Aquino shows up, i vote that we encourage him to stop by more often).

Trent1098S

This thread would be somewhat better if people could post their ideas WITHOUT subsequent drawn out commentary. I know I am just as (if not more than) guilty as anyone else, but it's reached the point where it's becoming a nuisance.

If you have an idea, post it. If you agree with an idea, say so. If you disagree with an idea, say so. But don't drag the other person in to a confrontation. If you say "I disagree with that", you get your point across. You aren't obliged to justify yourself. Anything you say is just ammunition to start an argument.

Just let the directors pick and choose from the list. Last time I checked, us members do NOT get to vote on every decision made, we aren't involved in financing, don't get to see who's signed up for what days which eventually becomes the basis of next year's scheduling decisions, etc.. that's what the board of directors are for. This isn't a home owners association where you have to reach a quorum, and none of us signed proxies. We signed up to ride.

The way it's set up means we can go out and ride, have fun, and limit our worrying without having to consider the day to day mundane politics of getting track time reserved for enthusiasts to go ride. Essentially, that's the only mission of NESBA. Everything else is supplementary to that goal.

All we can do is offer advice, and trust they'll do what's in our best interest. Beating down other members ideas serves no point but to muddy the waters. A simple "I disagree/I agree" would show the board what you're interested in or what you are NOT interested in. They'll do what they are going to do from there.

Some ideas obviously would require some debate.. but it's very easy to start up another thread. Alphamale just volunteered himself to draw flak and argument away from THIS thread, and I applaud him for it.

Bottom line is if it keeps going the way that it is, our directors stand NO chance of weeding through the (now 48) pages of BS to find one or two REALLY good ideas that could help improve the experience for the majority of members. And I emphasise majority
on purpose.

That's the last post I make here.. you want to argue with me, start a thread to argue with me. :)

(I'm going to need to change my sig to a disclaimer pretty soon that I intend no one any harm, hurt feelings, etc... because it's getting tiresome to repeat this whenever I type a message...)

BrianK01

Trent1098S;97288 wrote: This thread would be somewhat better if people could post their ideas WITHOUT subsequent drawn out commentary. I know I am just as (if not more than) guilty as anyone else, but it's reached the point where it's becoming a nuisance.

If you have an idea, post it. If you agree with an idea, say so. If you disagree with an idea, say so. But don't drag the other person in to a confrontation. If you say "I disagree with that", you get your point across. You aren't obliged to justify yourself. Anything you say is just ammunition to start an argument.

Just let the directors pick and choose from the list. Last time I checked, us members do NOT get to vote on every decision made, we aren't involved in financing, don't get to see who's signed up for what days which eventually becomes the basis of next year's scheduling decisions, etc.. that's what the board of directors are for. This isn't a home owners association where you have to reach a quorum, and none of us signed proxies. We signed up to ride.

The way it's set up means we can go out and ride, have fun, and limit our worrying without having to consider the day to day mundane politics of getting track time reserved for enthusiasts to go ride. Essentially, that's the only mission of NESBA. Everything else is supplementary to that goal.

All we can do is offer advice, and trust they'll do what's in our best interest. Beating down other members ideas serves no point but to muddy the waters. A simple "I disagree/I agree" would show the board what you're interested in or what you are NOT interested in. They'll do what they are going to do from there.

Some ideas obviously would require some debate.. but it's very easy to start up another thread. Alphamale just volunteered himself to draw flak and argument away from THIS thread, and I applaud him for it.

Bottom line is if it keeps going the way that it is, our directors stand NO chance of weeding through the (now 48) pages of BS to find one or two REALLY good ideas that could help improve the experience for the majority of members. And I emphasise majority
on purpose.

That's the last post I make here.. you want to argue with me, start a thread to argue with me. :)

(I'm going to need to change my sig to a disclaimer pretty soon that I intend no one any harm, hurt feelings, etc... because it's getting tiresome to repeat this whenever I type a message...)
i disagree

I would disagree with the assertion that NESBA does not cater to beginners or do enough to attract new members. I started with NESBA because I took advantage of the "FREE" Intro program. I only got two sessions that first day, but I also got hooked. Everyone was super helpful and that first impression made all the difference...

I think word of mouth of the current members is the best way to increase membership.

How about offering some type of bonus for existing members if they bring someone new to the track and they become a member? Kind of like a commission kind of thing...

Trent1098S

Kind of like what I posted a few pages back? Man I was trying to earn you TIRES and stuff.. but people overlook my long posts. Can't say I blame them! I bore myself!

Ok that's enough joking around tonight, I need to get some sleep. Catch you all tomorrow.. or whenever.

Trent1098S

I know isn't it great? But I am really about to pass out. I've been awake for 36+ hours now. I'm pissed off at mother nature for allowing teeth to get cavities, oral surgeons that give root canals, dentists that put on temporary caps that break, which you have to rip off with a pair of pliers late at night, which keeps one from sleeping, which...

zzzzzZZZZZZZ

(cya)

rk97

in a 'how to improve NESBA' thread, an idea without justification is just a complaint.

While i agree that the discussion has gotten way off topic several times, the fact that members have strong opinions on an issue (more than just "i agree," or "i disagree") is just as important for the staff to see as the ideas themselves.

rk97

TripleThreat;97297 wrote: I would disagree with the assertion that NESBA does not cater to beginners or do enough to attract new members.
i'll have to re-read what I typed, but i wasn't trying to make any such assertion.

it was really more a (rhetorical?) question of 'what does NESBA strive to be?' in the trackday galaxy. maybe trying to be all things to all people ISN'T the best goal. i honestly don't know.

I did my first TD with NESBA too ...because they had BeaveRun scheduled sooner. I was back there with STT 2 weeks later.

But I was an oddity in that regard. No one had to convince me to try the track at an intro day. I had memberships with 3 trackday clubs, and at least 6 events booked before ever turning a wheel on the track :p

Morrand

Here's another idea: use better pictures for next year's RRW Track Days directory. This year's had two or three from BHF showing riders in sweatshirts, and while that stands out from the other organizations' photos, it's not exactly in a good way.

I guess this is just echoing the general idea of improving marketing, but I thought I'd give a concrete example.

Slowninja

I think it's been said before but why not let the members help out with some things. I know there probably isn't a whole lot to do during the off season though.

If you guys could come up with small tasks there would be more than enough people that would help out i'm sure, myself included. I haven't even done a TD yet but i know i will be hooked when i roll on the track next spring.

I do kind of like the friend referal program. Maybe something like get a friend or friends to sign up for 10 days and get one half off or something like that. It would be more work to get the web site setup though, and that is something i know nothing about, lol.

complete with climbing wall, and an indoor supper motard track and a dope ass theater with suround sound for watching race reruns. And post the schedule sooner so we can plan January Jennings sooner.... We are doing jennings weekend in January right?

jay956

i just did Jennings with STT this weekend. there was only two groups with 30 min session, one with B and lower I, and the other with upper I and A. it was a blast to have that much time on the track, although ill always want more. i love the idea of doing a SED next year, but it will be hard because the poeple i go to the track with are split between B and I. it would be a lot to ask of them to just sit around all day while i ride. i would be more likely to sing up for a weekend with a 2 group/30 min session format than a SED

Julio Caliente;97163 wrote: In my opinion, if you are 19 unemployed and $40 is going to break you..... you have more important things to worry about than spending your money on a trackday. This is not a cheap hobby and if $40 is the differnce between you doing a NESBA day or not then you should wait until you ar emore financially stable..... or get another CC :)
I agree Julio...except for the get another CC;)

BZ