Paging JRA

crash675

I have a 675. The r model came out about 6 months after I got mine. They are super sweet bikes. I call my 09 zx6 my fat pig compared to the triumph. I would love to trade my kawi for a 675 trackbike.

fitz

Hi Aman!

The 2013 model has been completely redesigned and has had nothing but rave reveiws so far. No one in the US actually has one yet, is that your picture? They must have just taken it out of the box.

This nut actually has a deposit on one :D, so the bumble bee bike will be no more :(

noobinacan;265092 wrote: stumbled upon this thing today...what a weapon
was surprised to find out, its actually got 1/4 turn throttle.

Honestly, I could not think of much to improve it for track use...
race pads, lighter battery to further improve handling, frame sliders, maybe 520 conversion...race bodywork.
GOD that thing's a weapon!!!!

$14k

2013-02-15164014-Copy_zpsf24f0bf0.jpg

crash675

For what its worth triumph runs specials to get the older bikes sold. The dealers don't tell you about it. When I bought mine I got arrow slip on $780the triumph shorty levers $200.00 and triumph plug in pull style quick shifter $400.00 all shipped to my door from triumph for FREE.

noobinacan

crash675;265102 wrote: For what its worth triumph runs specials to get the older bikes sold. The dealers don't tell you about it. When I bought mine I got arrow slip on $780the triumph shorty levers $200.00 and triumph plug in pull style quick shifter $400.00 all shipped to my door from triumph for FREE.
^ wow dude!!! :wow:
that's awesome to know actually.

physicistkev

Control Rider
You guys are killing me. I have already started looking, which i was hoping to push off until late summer. I just can't keep away.

Kevin

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
physicistkev;265115 wrote: You guys are killing me. I have already started looking, which i was hoping to push off until late summer. I just can't keep away.

Kevin
Can we all say. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noobinacan

fitz;265100 wrote: Hi Aman!

The 2013 model has been completely redesigned and has had nothing but rave reveiws so far. No one in the US actually has one yet, is that your picture? They must have just taken it out of the box.

This nut actually has a deposit on one :D, so the bumble bee bike will be no more :(
Patrick...what up dude. good to hear from you.

You're going to love that thing.
It arrived yesterday morning is what I was told and fresh outta box...so I just had to leave my mark on it. :squid:

but its so compact and light, ergonomics felt great too!!! clutch lever feels super light...(in a good way)
Just felt it would be a bike that's easy to ride fast.

I actually like the finish on the exhasust too, I was telling the Thomas at service there, that I'd honestly just remove the cat and put a straight pipe there and run the arrow tune on it.

am sure you've already seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMf0yw7Cs1A

Peanut

Control Rider
I got a different perspective. I started on a 600, (Honda '00) switched to a 600 (yamaha '01), upgraded to another 600 (yamaha '03 w/fi!), chased money on a 600 (Kawi '05), switched to a 600 w/more feel (suzuki '06) & then got a deal on a 600 (yamaha '09)..lol. Oh, had a 929 in '01 for a quick minute to ride on the street, took it to the south course once & then quickly sold it. lol.

I'm still not able to get everything out of my bike & always working to improve. My take is if you can't ride a 600 to it's fullest, unless it's a size issue (you are just to big for the bike) and your riding doing trackdays, not racing, why switch?

Now at this point I've been considering a 1k just because it's possible my lack of cornerspeed on the 600 is probably the issue (and it seems I'm not able to change it, ie. lack of talent..:( ) it's possible the same cornerspeed may be ok on a 1k & give me advantages elsewhere. But that's a big if.

Considering what I've seen on the track, the amount of people who completely park the bike in the corners & then try to shoot it out, but then won't twist the throttle anyway because the bike is too much for them to handle, so then they are, let's say, not the quickest riders.

Uh I'm not sure 1000's, unless you can really ride them, are the way too go.

Just food for thought.

Pseudolus

Hi all,

Great info in this thread so thank you! So assuming I can't move to a 675 right now, what can I do to overcome the weaknesses the new rider on a 1000 has? Can identifying brake markers fully compensate for the early braking that's typical? I have no idea about how to overcome the low corner speed?

Another thing that keeps perplexing me is the veterans' emphasis on cardio fitness and strength. I definitely felt the difference in my legs after I started moving around more but I never have felt tired in the upper body. Is that a clear sign that I am nowhere near flicking the bike enough? How do you figure out how much you should be flicking it? It seems like my brain determines that by first deciding how comfortable I am with the entry speed? Do I have to try overruling my brain's decision, go in faster and then flick harder to compensate?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
First of all, remove the word "flick" from you vocabulary. Not that you shouldn't countersteer, but don't throw it in there. Everything should be smooth. You don't want to go in harder, faster, and then flick it hard, that's a recipe for a low side. Any abrupt movements aren't good. Brake longer and lighter before the turn. Brake until you're comfortable with your speed and the bike is pointed to the exit. You can add throttle out of the turn when you can see the exit and take away lean angle.

Also remove the words "grab", "stab", and "whack".

I can't completely answer your question about the 1000, as you have it now, but it is the beemer and has traction control and such. But also a lot of horsepower. Just respect it. Smooth, smooth, smooth on all inputs.

As far as the cardio, that's more, I think, for stamina so you can ride all day. Overall fitness helps with endurance, too.

Peanut

Control Rider
vinny337;265157 wrote: Good feedback Peanut!! Now you have to try the 750...
Maybe I should Vinny. I never thought much about them. I see some guys go good on them, including you, so hey, maybe so.

noobinacan

What she said
start riding it in rain mode or something, so you're not intimidated by sheer HP.
You're not riding the 1000 fast enough for its character to come out.
No matter which group you are in, you need a plan and a goal to try and meet, or you will plateau.

have a map for each track, write down brake markers for each corner, notes for each corner. update every visit
mark steep uphill or downhill or offcamber corners.

My alternative personality at the end of last year said to me:
"You're not doing anything on corner exists, hence they suck. You're not setting up for corner entry every turn, hence your trail braking is weak. You haven't walked Barber, hence you generally suck everywhere. you're fitness level is pathetic, you're terrible at this and therefore A group bottom feeder....why do you insist on continuing ?? :hand: "

Pseudolus;265168 wrote: Hi all,

Great info in this thread so thank you! So assuming I can't move to a 675 right now, what can I do to overcome the weaknesses the new rider on a 1000 has? Can identifying brake markers fully compensate for the early braking that's typical? I have no idea about how to overcome the low corner speed?

Another thing that keeps perplexing me is the veterans' emphasis on cardio fitness and strength. I definitely felt the difference in my legs after I started moving around more but I never have felt tired in the upper body. Is that a clear sign that I am nowhere near flicking the bike enough? How do you figure out how much you should be flicking it? It seems like my brain determines that by first deciding how comfortable I am with the entry speed? Do I have to try overruling my brain's decision, go in faster and then flick harder to compensate?

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;265171 wrote: Brake longer and lighter before the turn. Brake until you're comfortable with your speed and the bike is pointed to the exit. You can add throttle out of the turn when you can see the exit and take away lean angle.
. Just respect it. Smooth, smooth, smooth on all inputs.o.
Thanks Judy! I think this sport is much harder to learn because you do have to figure out a lot without having someone right next to you to give you immediate feedback.

noobinacan;265192 wrote:
What she said

have a map for each track, write down brake markers for each corner, notes for each corner. update every visit
mark steep uphill or downhill or offcamber corners.

"
Appreciate the feedback. I'm actually getting slightly used to the acceleration because it's a fairly straight forward idea. Hit it hard and hang on. I'm having trouble with all of the counter intuitive stuff, I.e stayin WOT after hitting 130 MPH and feeling that wind, staying WOT over wheelie hill at Thunderbolt, avoiding scrubbing off speed at the last turn to the straight etc... I think thoughts of self preservation are constantly causing me to p lay it conservative into every turn. I think documenting my brake markers and using the map idea will be critical for my progression this season. Thanks again!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Pseudolus;265231 wrote: Hit it hard and hang on. I'm having trouble with all of the counter intuitive stuff, I.e stayin WOT after hitting 130 MPH and feeling that wind, staying WOT over wheelie hill at Thunderbolt, avoiding scrubbing off speed at the last turn to the straight etc... I think thoughts of self preservation are constantly causing me to p lay it conservative into every turn. I think documenting my brake markers and using the map idea will be critical for my progression this season. Thanks again!
haha, roll it on smoothly and hang on! ;) And there's nothing at all wrong with being conservative with this sport. I'd rather take small steps of progression than try to take one big step that results in a crash.

The brake markers and map suggestion by noob was a good one.

Have you read Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch?

Pseudolus;265231 wrote: Thanks Judy! I think this sport is much harder to learn because you do have to figure out a lot without having someone right next to you to give you immediate feedback.

Appreciate the feedback. I'm actually getting slightly used to the acceleration because it's a fairly straight forward idea. Hit it hard and hang on. I'm having trouble with all of the counter intuitive stuff, I.e stayin WOT after hitting 130 MPH and feeling that wind, staying WOT over wheelie hill at Thunderbolt, avoiding scrubbing off speed at the last turn to the straight etc... I think thoughts of self preservation are constantly causing me to p lay it conservative into every turn. I think documenting my brake markers and using the map idea will be critical for my progression this season. Thanks again!
See ya in the turns Fadi...muuuuhahahahahaha!

BZ

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;265232 wrote: haha, roll it on smoothly and hang on! ;)

Have you read Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch?
Lol! Point taken Judy! I probably sound more aggressive because the last ride of the season, I was with Bubba when two guys that were brow beating, I mean teaching him, clued me in to the fact that I should be WOT whenever possible. Up until that point, I had done 5 track days without ever being WOT, solely due to trying to be smooth and fearing the Beamer. But point taken!

I read the Pace, but haven't read anything else by anyone. I put in a DVD of Keith Code TOTW 1 but couldn't get over all of the 80's clothes and haircuts. I'll pick that up ASAP. THANK YOU!

Bubba Zanetti;265239 wrote:
See ya in the turns Fadi...muuuuhahahahahaha!

BZ
I can't wait man! Officially relocate to Philly suburbs June 1. I've been looking forward to dinner, at least until that bater comment about D-Zum the other day! And many others now that I think about it! Hahahahahaha!

tdelegram

Control Rider
If you are going to remain on a big bike I would highly suggest a video called moto-vudu by Simon Crafar (WSB Champ and 500 moto GP rider). You'll have to order it directly from his website. The video is focused on track day riding on large capacity machines. Lot's of good info in there about "winning time on the straights" "Steeling a few meters on the straights" and most of all the safety aspect of when to grip and rip it vs smooth and gingerly at steep lean angles. It's something that can be used from beginner to advanced levels. Video starts with basics on body position and advances to stuff I will most likely never be able to do. It's the best video i have seen on the subject to date. I usually have my laptop and the video with me so if I am doing a weekend I would be more than happy to arrange a viewing or volunteer someone's really nice toy hauler to play it in.

http://www.motovudu.com/

PS he also has a book with the same title and info but the video is better in my opinion, although I am barley literate.

Pseudolus

tdelegram;265319 wrote: If you are going to remain on a big bike I would highly suggest a video called moto-vudu

PS he also has a book with the same title and info but the video is better in my opinion, although I am barley literate.
Preciate it tdelegram! :)