Post gingerman: this is going to be one of my regular tracks now

Bucky Badger

tym2fly911;8003 wrote: Also, mostly for Brian, I may not run 14's at BHF, but I can run a pretty sweet blocking line into turn 4 at Gingerman (Please don't stuff me too bad at BHF for that, though still stuff me....I need to get used to it so I'll be ready for "A")

Finally, mad props to Marshall :adore: who can throw down some crazy, sick, ridiculously fast laps at all the tracks I've had the honor of watching him ride at (and I'm sure many others too).
Nice block...nuff said ;)

I gotta hand it to Marshall...umm let me rephrase...I got my butt handed to me by Marshall in our little "contest" at Gingerman. For an old guy with a bum leg and lack of track time he sure still can haul the mail when he puts his head down! :adore:

Marshall...how is the first session after lunch on Sunday looking for you at BHF?? (yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment):banghead:

Sklossmonster

Good times everybody, good times. Gingerman sure is better now that they've filled in those seams. Now if they could just do something about that construction on 80/94!

Great seeing you again Ian, you're really coming along on that Kawi. Looking forward to watching you continue to put it all together. And thanks for the mad props! I'm still way off my pace, but it's coming back slowly. Now all I need are two good knees, my own bike, and more than two sessions a weekend to find my rhythm again.

And as for you, Bucky, legitimate contenders have to fight their way into contention before they get a shot at the title. And the next time you run your mouth off like you did all night on Saturday, you better hope I'm not on a bike that's spotting you 60 hp and on two year old SC Pros like I was Sunday at Gingerman, 'cuz it'll be even uglier if we're ever on similar equipment.

Great photos, as usual, Matt and Lynda, I wish I could've gotten a pic of you two working on Matt's 600 together. It was definitely a keeper. Great idea on the crash shirts, Lynda! I'm afraid of how many corners I could sign throughout the Midwest! Maybe that's why Fred likes having me do the Beginner meetings.:eek:

greeny

IllmicIll;7898 wrote: btw, :bumpme:I'm guessing the outside passes CRs were making was part of the test? (or maybe just wanted to show me the line) man... i wish i was there on sunday too :argh:
from my extensive nesba experience (all 2 events :p) i've found they would rather bump an over-qualified rider than the alternative. unfortunately, u were only there for 1 day, though, and they didn't get to evaluate u as much as they might have liked. from my expertise :D i would have to say that u were consistently faster and more predictable than the rest of the group and towards the end of the month u'll probably get bumped at bhf. any CRs wanna chime in? i hope i'm not way off base...

IllmicIll;7898 wrote: btw, :bumpme: :D I'm guessing the outside passes CRs were making was part of the test? (or maybe just wanted to show me the line) man... i wish i was there on sunday too :argh:
Here's what I've learned about getting bumped...

1. Don't focus on getting bumped. That's the wrong way to go about it.
2. Focus your attention on being smooth and riding on the correct line. Speed will come.
3. Also, don't use lap times as a target, but as a gauge of your progress.
4. Develop a good relationship with a couple of control riders.
5. Ask the CRs to lead you around and then follow you and offer some advice.
6. Listen to what they tell you and do your best to apply it.
7. When you feel that you are riding smoothly, hitting your marks and at a pace that has you passing most of the people in your group, start lining up near the front each time you go out.
8. Keep working with the control riders. As you progress and learn more about areas of the track that you feel you are struggling in, ask specific advice. (ie. I feel like I'm struggling in turn 8 in the down hill braking area getting the weight off my arms)
9. Apply what they tell you
10. Keep lining up at the front of the group before your session

When you are ready for a bump, the control riders will notice and will evaluate you and move you to the next level if you are ready. When it's time for your evaluation, make sure you are smooth and hit your marks. Don't ride over your head. It is more important that you are running the correct line than going faster than anyone else.

Developing good working relationships with the control riders and asking questions and applying their advice will get you where you are capable of going. They truly enjoy helping riders improve and work hard every weekend to help us all get better. But, they hear so many people ask for a bump that aren't ready, that's not the way to win their help.

Show a genuine interest in improving your fundamental skills and they will help you reach your potential.

Have fun, be safe and smooth, ask for advice and apply it.

I'm sure some CRs can add more to this.

Hope this helps...

Jeff

IllmicIll

notes taken! thanks for takin your time to explain Jeff. It is not so much that I'm anxious to get a bump but I've heard from some experiened riders that you improve more/faster riding with faster ppl (provided you ride within your limits). And Jordan, are you gonna be at BHF? I can't wait... I need my fix ASAP. Street riding is so.... boring...

ThePro8

IllmicIll;8286 wrote: I've heard from some experiened riders that you improve more/faster riding with faster ppl (provided you ride within your limits).
Not always true. You can learn a lot from slower people also, especially if you check your ego at the door. Tina Wink is slower than me, but I'll bet she has better body position especially going into lefts and could teach me a thing or two. Riding with faster people will help you pick up the pace, but I guarantee that the control riders out there will be plenty fast enough for you to chase. Just ask them to run with you before a session.

gluaisrothar

Back to Gingerman ... it's an awful track full of unfriendly people with no senses of humor, and it's next to a rotten lake-side town.

My fear is that the word will get out, and more will come, which will take the edge off it a bit. Oh well ...

Gavin

PS
I laughed a lot last weekend.

gluaisrothar

Does anyone know if A#109 is okay? I know he took a blow to the head, and I saw him carted off, but that's all I know.

Gavin

racer23

Last I heard was encouraging. He can chime in and let us know more if he likes.

I hope I'm not the only one to google gluaisrothar, took me a while.:banghead:

TurnOneRacing

I spoke with Dan this week and he's in good spirits despite a pretty nasty hand injury. I'm sure he will be back at the track as soon as he can.

Bucky Badger

racer23;8585 wrote: Last I heard was encouraging. He can chime in and let us know more if he likes.

I hope I'm not the only one to google gluaisrothar, took me a while.:banghead:
Its a heck of a clever name for this forum though:idea:

Tried to look it up and the weirdest thing happened. I clicked on the link that takes you to gluaisrothar's You Tube videos and low and behold, what did I find there...

A video of my lowside in October of 2007 in Turn 7 at Putnam Park. Too bad gluaisrothar wasn't right up behind me, because all you can see near the end of his video is a bunch of dust and me sitting up in the grass outside turn 7.

I still don't know what gluaisrothar means, but I know he was following me during the last session before lunch on Saturday of the 07 October Putnam dates...

Weird...

Jeff

gluaisrothar

I'll give you a hint what gluaisrothar is: My number, 353, is the international dialing code for the country where this word comes from:idea:

Gavin

Found it... I was too distracted by the fact that after all this time, I found a video of my incident at Putnam, that I stopped looking. When I went back to Google, I ended up finding it after a little looking...

Most Appropriate...

TripleThreat