take overs

jimgl3

i have given a bit of thought to this and think it is worth discussion:

1 i think it sux for STT to go around scarfing up tracks and making them agree to only let STT host track days there.

2 i think it sux for tracks to agree to only let STT host track days at their track.

here's the sticky part:

some might think NESBA should fight back and do it too.

i hope NESBA would not engage in such underhanded practices, but i do hope they will lobby w/ tracks to stop doing it w/ STT

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
just to be the antigonist....from a business perspective, I would be doing exactly what STT is doing....

the "Microsoft" approach

I don't understand the reasons behind these developments either...

Could it have anything to do with reducing insurance costs for the track owners? Perhaps fewer outside organizations providing services on the facility may be a reason for reduced rates... Who knows...

I definitely know that NESBA is my preferred track day organization and I always look at the NESBA schedule first before signing up for my days. I believe that the NESBA days I have attended have been far more organized than any other organization and that the control riders have been far more willing to assist me get better at my skills.

If a NESBA date is not available on a weekend when my schedule allows me to run a track day, or if they are not allowed to run days at a track that I want to ride, I have stepped outside the NESBA family to get my fix. Not my preference, but it has happened in the past and will probably happen in the future.

I don't understand the politics behind getting access to a track, but I would imagine that the NESBA owners are doing everything they can to ensure that the business remains viable and that relationships that benefit NESBA and its members remain in tact and grow.

Jeff

crewnutz

its not really much different than the reason you exclusively run NESBA

they are trying to run a business and gain a competitive edge on their competition in the trackday org industry.......

doing what they did is probably one of the best ways to gain an edge in that geographic region

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
crewnutz;30038 wrote: its not really much different than the reason you exclusively run NESBA

they are trying to run a business and gain a competitive edge on their competition in the trackday org industry.......

doing what they did is probably one of the best ways to gain an edge in that geographic region
True, it might be a good move from a business perspective, but from a rider's perspective, it totally sucks because it limits your choices. I want to choose which org to ride with, not have it dicated to me when I want to run a certain track. I don't like having my choices limited.

Joe Vital

what other track(s) has stt made exclusive agreement(s) with? i am aware of their association with mid-ohio.

kd83

agreed with crew

I don't think it was to limit riders, but i think it was a business decision

jimgl3

Joe Vital;30042 wrote: what other track(s) has stt made exclusive agreement(s) with? i am aware of their association with mid-ohio.
i understand they just nabbed Grattan also

crewnutz

HondaGalToo;30041 wrote: True, it might be a good move from a business perspective, but from a rider's perspective, it totally sucks because it limits your choices. I want to choose which org to ride with, not have it dicated to me when I want to run a certain track. I don't like having my choices limited.

Im a diehard NESBA guy.....ive run with every other org and NESBA by far runs the best show with some of the best people

however saying that your getting your choices limited is just naive, your only limiting yourself, NESBA doesnt have a contract you sign that says you cant do a trackday once n a while with another org

it is a good business decision on STT's part.....no shame on them for doing what they did

jimgl3

HondaGalToo;30041 wrote: True, it might be a good move from a business perspective, but from a rider's perspective, it totally sucks because it limits your choices. I want to choose which org to ride with, not have it dicated to me when I want to run a certain track. I don't like having my choices limited.
and having just demonstrated my loyalty to NESBA buying 1K in credits i don't want to see STT gobbling up any tracks here in the SE !!! :(

hank

Are you referring to this?
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=35243

There is a difference between 'Official' and 'Exclusive'. The former is marketing and the latter is a monopoly....

For example, TPM is the 'Official' track day provider for NJMP, however, that actually means diddly-squat since all of the other area clubs run dates there and will continue to run dates there.

crewnutz

hank;30050 wrote: Are you referring to this?
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=35243

There is a difference between 'Official' and 'Exclusive'. The former is marketing and the latter is a monopoly....

For example, TPM is the 'Official' track day provider for NJMP, however, that actually means diddly-squat since all of the other area clubs run dates there and will continue to run dates there.

good catch...........however it wouldnt suprise me if they were the only trackday org to run there since they are the only org to run at Mid Ohio and Grattan like previously said

either way it is what it is

Rick Johnson

It is what it is.Nesba has many great tracks on the east coast.Barber.Road Atlanta,VIR,NJMP etc.We are all lucky to be able to ride and race on the same tracks the pro's race on.:D

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
crewnutz;30047 wrote: Im a diehard NESBA guy.....ive run with every other org and NESBA by far runs the best show with some of the best people

however saying that your getting your choices limited is just naive, your only limiting yourself, NESBA doesnt have a contract you sign that says you cant do a trackday once n a while with another org

it is a good business decision on STT's part.....no shame on them for doing what they did

I'm not naive at all, I've ridden with STT as well as other orgs on many occasions (I rode with Reduc from '96 until STT bought them out); I'm perfectly aware that I didn't sign a "contract" with NESBA stating I must only ride with them. I don't like the way STT runs their days compared to NESBA. Yes, I have a choice, I can suck it up and ride at the track with STT or choose not to ride at that particular track any longer. So, to me, that limits my choice in a sense. If you want to say I'm limiting myself, then yeah, I guess I am, but it's because I don't enjoy myself when I ride with STT.

rk97

I don't think it's good business for the TRACKS to agree to these arrangements, but you can't blame STT for proposing them. I would be surprised if NESBA hadn't considered similar arrangements and decided against it. Even for the directors, this is a passion, not a job; and I believe they'd like to keep it that way.

The subtleties between "official" and "exclusive" are worth noting. "officially" Mid-Ohio doesn't allow ANY track day orgs to rent the track - You register through Mid O's web site, and STT 'facilitates' the events; no STT membership required.

we'll see what happens with BlueGrass, but i'm not passing up the chance to be one of the first to turn a wheel on that track!

stow

crewnutz;30058 wrote: a not for profit organization still operates as a business
I think NESBA only has one person on the payroll. The rest of the money goes into the hopper for member benefits.