9/4 B Group Morning Session - CR Jim

stkr

One thing I still don't know is...

Who all helped pack up my truck and trailer? Thanks to all for your help. I would have expected nothing less from my fellow NESBIANS and I am grateful for your help.
:cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hitman954

stkr;212491 wrote: One thing I still don't know is...

Who all helped pack up my truck and trailer? Thanks to all for your help. I would have expected nothing less from my fellow NESBIANS and I am grateful for your help.

who? your second family did, that's who. We all play our parts at the track, and everyone is always looking to help out. My saying this weekend was "there's a system for that" meaning everyone plays thier part and does it right, and it all works out. That's how this fam damnly rolls.
Thank you to those who did actually load all of Jim's stuff up, you guys rock!! As hard as it is to imagine, Fred has told a story of when he crashed, went to the hospital, came back and all his stuff had been gone through or was missing. We are a great group to be with FO SHO!!!!

eE jeremy

I went over when I saw some people by your trailer but everything other than your canopy was already packed, so I helped fold up the canopy and and that was it. Unfortunately I don't know the names of the guys that did all the real work (I'm pretty terrible with names/faces lol)

MikeyR6

stkr;212491 wrote: One thing I still don't know is...

I know my dad and Chad Trank helped. I'd guess a couple others. I was off taking a nap, so I'll take no responsibility if all the tools spill out on the way home:D. Maybe some of the fluids in your belly pan somehow got on Phil's brakes. :)

Or as Cooker suggested, perhaps some bad juju on our end of the hut. Chad certainly got some practice packing trailers this weekend though (thanks again)!

racer23

Glad you are feeling better!
It was hard to see you in so much pain, but funny when you fell asleep mid sentence after hitting the magic button;)

stkr

racer23;212554 wrote: Glad you are feeling better!
It was hard to see you in so much pain, but funny when you fell asleep mid sentence after hitting the magic button;)
It was a nice surprise seeing you and Greg there so late. That magic button was a true friend that night. Sorry for being so out of it, but I didn't want that pain coming back for a while.

Seeing you and Tom standing over me in the grass gave me a feeling of relief and I knew I was going to be okay.

Seeing Alan ride my bike off had me kind of worried though. :haha: wonder what kind of times he got on it?

I've got about 8 weeks of recovery/rehab, but I'm planning on being back next year.

Excuse me while I push my magic button and drift away again. :cool:

stkr

Thanks to all. :cool:

Been kind of a down day. Didn't sleep well and my blood count went back down. Finally got some decent pain meds and they started transfusing some blood this afternoon. I'm getting two units
To get my count back up.

I feel better after the first. Could possibly be going home tomorrow if all goes well. :D

I will miss the nurses though. Dang there's some cuties here.

noobinacan

Hey Jim
Thoughts and prayers for your speedy recovery and less pain.
and I pray you feel a little better each day.

stkr

The doctor came by this morning and since my blood count came back up to 9.6 from 7.4, and I'm up walking around and feeling better, he said I could go home this afternoon.

WooooHoooooo! :D

It's amazing what a transfusion of two units of blood can do for your energy level.

stkr

I couldn't get pictures of the night shift nurses, but here's the day shift from my ICU and regular floors.

There were more cuties, but they weren't available. :(

stkr

Crash Follow-Up

Okay, now that I'm home and I've had some time to re-think all of the events leading up to my crash, I think I've finally come to a plausible scenario that explains what all happened. Of course, this was one of the very few times I wasn't running my video camera, so I have nothing to go on, but my memory.

Did anyone see any of it, or happen to get pictures?

I've been replaying the event over/over in my head and I think I've finally figured out what most likely happened. What's been bugging me is how hard it felt like I hit and the severity of my injuries. It just wasn't adding up in my head.

When I came out of T-1 and turned back around after checking behind me, I saw myself too close to the B-group rider and my closing speed was pretty high. My first reaction was to brake and progressively squeezed trying to slow my closing speed. Just prior to the track weekend, I had replaced the front rotors, brake pads, and completely flushed the fluid. The new brakes worked exceptionally well, and I believe this caused me to start an endo going into T-2.

In my memory, I kept replaying how I saw the front end from above and then it felt like I seriously slammed into the track. This was the hit where I felt my ribs break and new I was hurt pretty bad as I continued to roll/tumble down the track and off into the grass. What kept bugging me was how the last thing I saw before the hit, was the same view of the front end. It finally dawned on me that I had most likely endo'd the bike as the front tucked and it came down on top of me as it landed on its left side. This was where me and the bike parted ways. I also remember that my stopping point was about 20-30 feet ahead of the bike that should have had more momentum/inertia than I did.

Until I accepted the fact that I had been hit by the bike at some point, it was hard to conceptualize how I could get a ruptured spleen just by tucking the front. Especially considering I was wear a Knox Chest/Back protector under my leathers. Also, how could I not break my colar bone if the impact on my left side was that severe. The bike hitting me/landing on me is the only thing that appears to explain the blunt force trauma to the rib-cage.

Lessons Learned:

1. Never align yourself directly behind a newer member while performing CR duties unless you KNOW their riding style.

2. ALWAYS let yourself drop back a bit, as a CR, when turning around to check behind you while coming out of a turn. Only close on someone when you are looking forward.

3. Learn more precise/cautious brake control when utilizing completely new brakes.

4. Crashing sucks, broken ribs hurt like hell, and abdominal surgery for a spleen removal hurts even worse.

5. Hospital I.V. pain meds kick ass!!! (see picture)

I'm not sure how next year is going to go. We've got to see what our medical bills are for this, and how much our co-pay is going to be. This may inhibit any repairs needed to the bike. I won't be able to inspect the bike for quite a while until I heal more, but I know at a minimum, it needs new bodywork, levers, and I think a woodcraft replacement cover for the left side.

Donations and sponsors would be welcomed. :D

Hitman954

Is your body work Fiberglass? If so can I take a look at it. I might be able to save you some money on new, or be able to fix some of it. Maybe have to get a new tail or something like that. Let me know.

noobinacan

Hey Jim
Glad you are back home.
I heard someone doing commentary on TV during one of the races say "it always speeds up for him in an off" and I can't help but agree, last bad one 'sped' up to the point that I didn't remember getting flipped....cause eyes just could not focus on and process what was right in front of the face. pavement- bike - sky - grass at 500mph.

cause i kept saying to myself "how can I not recall it"...cause I never saw it...too fast.