9/4 B Group Morning Session - CR Jim

stkr

Just a quick update......

I've been at home about 10 days now. The incision site is healing well. The ribs still hurt like hell and the abdominal spasms pretty much suck, but they're becoming less frequent.

I finally got a chance to inspect the bike with the help of my daughter and her boyfriend. Both got some experience in dismantling the trackbike. LOL! The damages are actually pretty minimal considering the endo. I guess my ribs helped to break the bike's fall as it came down on me.

Needed:
* Two new handlebars (both are bent forward - not sure how) ~$30
* Bodywork needs a fair amount of re-fiberglassing/prime/paint (winter project I guess) ~$100 in supplies
* The steering damper rod bent.sheered off. Rebuildable from Sprint for ~$150
* Leather suit repair ~$120
* New helmet ~$400-500 depending on sale prices

All that seems pretty insignificant after receiving our first hospital bill yesterday. So far, without any bills from the actual doctors/surgeons/anesthesiologists, and no ambulance or helicopter charges, we're still starting out at approximately $43,000.00 :eek:

Health Insurance - ROCKS!!! :cool:

gixxerrider

Damn just read this shit Ayden! Man I hope you get better soon ! Doesn't sound good from the damages. It's funny how when we go down were always asking how the bike is? Lol.
When I went down at RA first thing I did was watch my bike slide and rest in clouds of smoke... Then just examine damage while still having some stars floating in my head. I must say that your the best and most informest CR I've ever came across and appreciate all your helpful info. Hey, winter projects are fun. Get better and ill be sure to be doing a whole lotta nesba next season and a lot more advice and coaching from ya! Get better Jim!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

stkr

gixxerrider;215237 wrote: Damn just read this shit Ayden! Man I hope you get better soon ! Doesn't sound good from the damages. It's funny how when we go down were always asking how the bike is? Lol.
When I went down at RA first thing I did was watch my bike slide and rest in clouds of smoke... Then just examine damage while still having some stars floating in my head. I must say that your the best and most informest CR I've ever came across and appreciate all your helpful info. Hey, winter projects are fun. Get better and ill be sure to be doing a whole lotta nesba next season and a lot more advice and coaching from ya! Get better Jim!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Thanks! :cheers:

I'm not sure I agree that I'm one of the best and most informative CR's. Those are some big shoes to fill, and some of the other CR's have more experience. Thanks for the kind words though. I do what I can to help out.

I look forward to being able to work with you next year. It'll be a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIGOLO

Jim, I'm sorry I wasn't able to come by and see you. First day they let me get out of bed to roll around in a wheelchair they kicked me out. Hope you have a fast recovery and get back at it next year. See ya Jim.

stkr

No worries. They did the same with me. Gave me 2 units of blood and kicked me out the next day. LOL

I was hoping to stay and be able to do some more in-depth physical therapy with Mimi. ;). She was the incentive to get up.

stkr

I finally got around to looking at CD I got from Radiology and figured out how to export images.

Here's a cropped close-up of my left ribs showing the breaks. Ribs 5 thru 8. This was two days after the surgery and I'm not sure I like how they're set. Gotta ask the doctor about this.

62907a4e-c598-1bab.jpg

stkr

Well, I'm finally feeling like I'm healing up and making progress. I went back to work on Monday, 10/3, and that was a rough day.

My core abdominal muscles were weak from the incision and sitting around for month. However, after four days of walking around some and being a bit more active, they're feeling 10 times better. Sweet!!!

My ribs are feeling better. Still hurts like hell to sneeze, but it subsides after a few minutes instead of an hour.

My shoulder blade keeps "catching" on the overlap joint of the healing ribs, and this caused me some concern, so I went back to the doctor and got some new x-rays. We also wanted to verify that my scapula (shoulder blade) wasn't fractured in the crash too. The ER and hospital x-rays were only focusing on the lungs and not getting pneumonia. The ribs were if little importance to them since they can't set them.

The radiologist will be mailing the official results/findings, but I talked to the doctor and found out some interesting info.

The scapula appears normal with no fractures. Yeah!

The broken rib count went from 4 ribs to 6 ribs, with a possible 7th that's hard to see in the x-ray. No wonder it hurt so damn bad for so long. Even though they're displaced/offset, they are starting to re-calcify. WoooHooooo!

My medical alert bracelet arrived today also. I've got to get used to wearing this thing. It's pretty heavy for its size since it's stainless steel. Unless my spleen magically grows back, I'll be wearing this the rest of my life. That's why I went with the heavier design.

FYI: Crashing SUCKS! It's official. ;)

eE jeremy

why the braclet for no spleen? My buddy lost his spleen in a car accident a couple years ago (his car was hit by a uhaul, his injuries were similar to yours) and I don't think he wears one, should he?

stkr

eE jeremy;219211 wrote: why the braclet for no spleen? My buddy lost his spleen in a car accident a couple years ago (his car was hit by a uhaul, his injuries were similar to yours) and I don't think he wears one, should he?
The surgeon/doctor recommended it, because without the spleen we're more susceptable to infections as the spleen helps produce antibodies and fight infections. It's to alert EMS/Healthcare that if there is going to be any invasive procedures needed, then they need to start me on I.V. Antibiotics as soon as possible.

I was also told that if I get sick and have a fever that goes over 100 degrees, then I should start thinking about going to the hospital to get checked/helped. This part has nothing to do with the bracelet though.

stkr

UPDATE:

I just read back through this thread, and once again, I'd like to say THANK YOU for all the posts. It really does help during the suckass times.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and I was finally cleared 100%. I'm feeling a lot better, and I've finally started trying to build up my core strength that I lost after they sliced me open. Yes, it's what kept me alive, but the recovery still sucked. :haha:

The only remaining problem I have is that my scapula (shoulder blade) is catching on the calcium build-up on my ribs when I try to do pushups. Over time, they will decalcify and there won't be any issues. I guess for having 6 broken ribs, I should feel lucky.

I just wanted to share my update for those that were there for me.

The bike is almost fixed, the new/used bodywork is getting painted for damn near free, and I'm wanting to get back out there. I just have to get my leathers repaired, and buy a new Arai helmet. Donations Welcome ;)

Here's a few pics from the hospital. My first days, the ribs, and upright on the day I left. I guess I forgot to post them. They're only 6 months late. LOL

stkr

denbsteph;233078 wrote: Glad to see you are doing better, nasty Rib pics, the bruise had some good color to it.
A friend gave me shit about the bruise. He said it was like an oil leak coming from the Harley tattoo. :haha:

Fritz

stkr;233360 wrote: A friend gave me shit about the bruise. He said it was like an oil leak coming from the Harley tattoo. :haha:
Harley's don't leak oil, they mark their territory!

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Jim,

Great to hear you are back to 100% Congrats! Now the real work begins to get yourself back in shape.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Jim,
You're not lucky, you're blessed! Good to see you being rebuilt, stronger, faster...you know the rest. :cool:

stkr

Well, my track season might be delayed this year. Saturday, I slipped on some ice walking in for Reserve duty, and in the process of twisting to catch myself, something pulled in my incision site.

Now when I try to blow my nose, or I cough or sneeze, it burns like hell. I don't think it was actually healed as much as I thought.

This sucks!!!