Calling all NESBA Members!!!

CBRtist

USMC_10;288916 wrote: Reposted from another thread for max visibility:

Bob Blandford - NESBA club members are loyal and want to keep NESBA going. As the season winds down let's put our heads together to develop ways to overcome these problems for next season. No one likes to see posts from you notifying us of impending TD cancellations (let alone FOUR TDs in a row). There are many smart people in this club, some with very thoughtful ideas...let's gather these ideas and put together a plan so we don't face this problem next season. I'm convinced NESBA has the greatest reputation of all TD providers in the region. Let's use this to our advantage to generate a more sustainable TD program!
:agree:

Everybody is addressing the immediate issue and trying to get the numbers for these events and the larger picture is lost. If the numbers are low for a SED, one of NESBA's best events that are run, there is a problem. So these events get filled... what about the next ones? I have no knowledge of the numbers, but I would venture to guess that they have been low. We can sit around and blame it on economy and weather watching... or at some point we can talk about the elephant in the room. I have opinions, perhaps more educated than some.

USMC_10;288916 wrote:
There are many smart people in this club, some with very thoughtful ideas...let's gather these ideas and put together a plan so we don't face this problem next season.

Exactly. Many members have many things to offer to the organization and WANT to help just to help (that means not asking for a handout which I know naturally, may be a concern for some). I, as did others, have offered to help with a few areas. Judy and I recently did NESBA shirts that we had planned to have people preorder. It was a limited run of 50. The design had been approved by NESBA. Sadly, we came to the conclusion we may have a difficult time selling 50 shirts due to low morale :( We should work collectively on getting that NESBA sense of pride, quality, and tradition back.

There could be a very simple solution that many non-profit, educational and other entities employ:

VOLUNTEER COMMITTEES

This could help things in a few areas:

1) It could allow members to help in areas that they have expertise and are needed

2) It would free up time for administration and CRs (who are also volunteers... we tend to forget that at times) to focus more on internal duties that can not be handled by members and would allow them not to be overwhelmed by so many spinning plates

3) It would provide a venue for new members to be more social. They could be directed to a list of committees and be encouraged to sign up for one. Actually it would help all of us from a social aspect.

The amazing thing about this is this would be at virtually NO cost to the Club. When I say virtually, there might be an instance where a committee want to promote something and will need some supplies associated with that, etc. A couple people could head up or "chair" a committee, and members who sign up agree to be available to commit and participate in that committee. We are already doing this in a sense anyway, it is just not formally organized. Every time a post gets thrown up asking "who's in" for some random thing, people post up and want to help... the demand exists, the supply exists, it just needs to be a more coordinated effort.

Bob and/or DJ must have final say on what is presented, but should be open to and carefully consider committee suggestions that are brought to them.

What committees would there be? A few that come to mind could be:

Air Fence
New Member Services
Recruitment Services
Marketing/Promotion
Pot Lucks?

I'm sure we could collectively think of areas that could use specific attention right now. It would be great to have some of these "outer rings" addressed and maintained by qualified members, so that internal issues can be addressed. Sort of working from the outside > in if you will.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Great post, Wendy! A program to make new members feel more welcome and be able to get help was started this year in the SE region...a new member pit area "staffed" with some long-time members; a specific area for new-to-track members to pit. I was involved in discussing that over last winter. It was to be piloted first in the SE. It seemed well-received, but then I never heard about whether or not we should do it at MA events. I thought, and still think, it was a great idea. Not sure why we didn't do it in MA.

USMC_10

Agree. This is a good start. We may want to consider starting new thread for these ideas. Not sure what to call it (e.g. "NESBA 2014: It's Your Club...Help Make It Better"), but it would capture all the good ideas that come to mind in which club leaders can decide or not decide to implement.

One other idea is maybe hold a NESBA "offsite" at a centrally located restaurant one weekend in Nov/Dec where folks can get together over a meal and put their heads together. I know that logistics would be tough depending where you live, but it would be a good way to continue to camaraderie during the off season when we aren't able to ride.

Just trying to throw ideas out there to help Bob out. We should not expect him or any one person to solve the problem for us. This is our club too; its success is dependent upon all of us.

In the end, it's not about "what's in it for me", but rather "what can I do to help others". And that philosophy is what distinguishes NESBA from everyone else. :)

Nesba

I'm good with all these ideas.

Who is going to take charge and execute them?

I can review and approve them all.

pdoughduc

Any big movement in the numbers still needed for Summit on Monday? I know of at least two additional sign-ups (myself included) and I think I saw two others confirmed somewhere on this thread. Are we even a quarter of the way there??

CBRtist

Nesba;288929 wrote: I'm good with all these ideas.

Bob, I am sure that you may have concerns about people being held accountable and following through. In order for this to be effective, members must have NESBA support , NESBA trust and be given some ability in order to make positive change possible.

I can't speak for Judy, ok... I'll speak for Judy, if we could count on NESBA as mentioned above, we could collaborate, round up some members, and work on getting some balls rolling during the off season to launch for next year's season (concentration on MA). All with your final approval of course!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Nesba;288929 wrote: I'm good with all these ideas.

I would be more than willing to help push the New-to-NESBA program for the MA region. What would really help is a NESBA banner to hang from my EZ-UP. I tried helping Matt with the intro program, but it was kind of hard because we didn't always have a NESBA banner to hang up, so we really didn't look much different than everyone else pitted.

I would also be willing to help with registration and tech at the events I go to.

And if there is a low number of CR's at hand, I would also volunteer to be a temp CR (Or whatever you want to call it) for the Intro group riders in B group. That would let the more seasoned CR's spend time with the higher level B group / I group guys.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
CBRtist;288938 wrote: Bob, I am sure that you may have concerns about people being held accountable and following through. In order for this to be effective, members must have NESBA support , NESBA trust and be given some ability in order to make positive change possible.

I can't speak for Judy, ok... I'll speak for Judy, if we could count on NESBA as mentioned above, we could collaborate, round up some members, and work on getting some balls rolling during the off season to launch for next year's season (concentration on MA). All with your final approval of course!
Bummer to hear about the shirts - I would pre order 3 larges right off the bat. Anytime. :cool:

CBRtist

USMC_10;288928 wrote: Agree. This is a good start. We may want to consider starting new thread for these ideas. Not sure what to call it (e.g. "NESBA 2014: It's Your Club...Help Make It Better"), but it would capture all the good ideas that come to mind in which club leaders can decide or not decide to implement.

One other idea is maybe hold a NESBA "offsite" at a centrally located restaurant one weekend in Nov/Dec where folks can get together over a meal and put their heads together. I know that logistics would be tough depending where you live, but it would be a good way to continue to camaraderie during the off season when we aren't able to ride.

Just trying to throw ideas out there to help Bob out. We should not expect him or any one person to solve the problem for us. This is our club too; its success is dependent upon all of us.

In the end, it's not about "what's in it for me", but rather "what can I do to help others". And that philosophy is what distinguishes NESBA from everyone else. :)
Great enthusiasm Mike. Hope we can get some more like-minded members on board.

CBRtist

Otto Man;288941 wrote: I would be more than willing to help push the New-to-NESBA program for the MA region. What would really help is a NESBA banner to hang from my EZ-UP. I tried helping Matt with the intro program, but it was kind of hard because we didn't always have a NESBA banner to hang up, so we really didn't look much different than everyone else pitted.

I would also be willing to help with registration and tech at the events I go to.

And if there is a low number of CR's at hand, I would also volunteer to be a temp CR (Or whatever you want to call it) for the Intro group riders in B group. That would let the more seasoned CR's spend time with the higher level B group / I group guys.
I remember the banner thing. Did that not happen? I even recall a sign guy offering to print it up. Or was this all just a dream? :dunno:

I'm pretty sure the "Temp CR" thing isn't going to fly. That's like being "sort of pregnant"... you either are or you are not. Start watering down CR standards by having "temps" and NESBA will start losing the integrity members value.

boobless

If you register for summit main and it gets canceled do you get a refund or a credit to the account? Also, is a membership good for 12 months or just the events scheduled for the current year?

9mmkungfu

boobless;288949 wrote: If you register for summit main and it gets canceled do you get a refund or a credit to the account? Also, is a membership good for 12 months or just the events scheduled for the current year?
Not sure about the first part, but the membership is good for one calendar year.

Also, I signed up along with another, and have one more signing up this evening for Summit Main on Monday.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Otto Man;288941 wrote: I would be more than willing to help push the New-to-NESBA program for the MA region. What would really help is a NESBA banner to hang from my EZ-UP. I tried helping Matt with the intro program, but it was kind of hard because we didn't always have a NESBA banner to hang up, so we really didn't look much different than everyone else pitted.

Same here. I was really interested in the new-to-nesba program that piloted in the SE this year and was involved with the planning emails over the winter. Then I was told it would be in the SE at first...and didn't hear anything further with regards to doing it in the MA. If we can do this next year in MA, I'm still willing to help out with a newbie pit area/orientation. And also tech/reg. I agree with Wendy's post about CRs...no temps. Nesba has a rep of having the best CRs, the criteria for that shouldn't change.

willhf1011

boobless;288949 wrote: If you register for summit main and it gets canceled do you get a refund or a credit to the account? Also, is a membership good for 12 months or just the events scheduled for the current year?
You will get a credit I know, I dono about the refund. I've already received credit in my account for the cancelled Jefferson day, including the late fee I had paid.

peoples1234

Membership is good for 12 months.

backtrail125

I think someone may have already asked this question earlier in this thread. Are there going to be tire service on Monday if the event isn't canceled? I'm thinking my rear may last the day but I would rather get a fresh one on there or atleast be able to.

MB3

I signed up for Tuesday sed. Doing my part. My two cents is if these days were open for registration from the beginning they would be booked. Idk why registration only opened a few weeks ago. Any ideas?