Dogs

vtjballeng

Mr.DJ;94467 wrote: I know I am the face to this message, but this is not something we wanted to do. The tracks have a big say in what happens in 2010 and what is allowed by the GUEST. This is not some "knee jerk" decsion, but something we have been fighting for the past 2 years. We are pro family here and dogs are a part of that.

I can promise you this, we will continue to work with the tracks. We have an idea that I hope renders my message premature. If I need to get a petition signing session, It's good to know you are behind us.
Jobu (pictured) votes nay on the SE dog ban. I came back to the track after a 6 year hiatus this year and on my second day back stepped in a huge pile of dog mess which stunk the rest of the day at Summit. Poorly controlled dogs can cause all sorts of problems but are nearly always the owners fault (ever see Dog Whisperer where the guy literally walks into a room and solves all moderate problems within 15 min?).

My vote would be a stronger policy on either cleaning up after the dogs or at least taking them on potty breaks away from the pits (you wouldn't let your kid crap in the pit area would you?). I think members should be policing pets much in the way that other members police passing policies on the track. If the pets are out of line, unleashed, etc report it to someone who is appointed to deal with it... maybe a pet friendly CR.

Just as we help new people at the track with setup, advice, loading bikes, etc we should do the same with people who bring pets to the track .

Ruhe52

DJ can this dog come?

poop-scoop-dog2.jpg

fitz

vtjballeng;94846 wrote: If the pets are out of line, unleashed, etc report it to someone who is appointed to deal with it... maybe a pet friendly CR.

Just as we help new people at the track with setup, advice, loading bikes, etc we should do the same with people who bring pets to the track .
Telling a dog owner they should maintain their dog better is like telling a parent they should do a better job raising their children, with the same predictable reaction and results.

Good luck!

fitz

dpullen

Generally true, except that NESBA has the upper hand in this situation. If a member exhibits unacceptable behavior, we can tell them to leave. Faced with the possibility of not being able to ride (and losing their money), most members choose to abide by the rules.

- Dave

vtjballeng

fitz;94913 wrote: Telling a dog owner they should maintain their dog better is like telling a parent they should do a better job raising their children, with the same predictable reaction and results.

Good luck!

fitz
I agree, most people will take offense if you tell them their pet is out of line (and that the issue is inherently inflammatory) but there are a couple of points here:

1) The alternative may be a NO DOGS ALLOWED policy. Given the choice I'd rather be forward with people and bruise some egos rather than prevent people from coming because they don't have a dog sitter or can't afford track days + kennel fees. I still liken this to inappropriate situations people see on the track where people can get offended but it is necessary for the greater good. It may not be the easiest thing to do but the alternative is harsher.

2) The major issues, I would think, are cut and dry. Is the dog on a leash? The answer is boolean, T/F, 0 or 1... there is no gray area here. Did the dog just drop a pile in the middle of the pit area? Hey dog owner, gotta clean that up! Did your dog just bite a person or another dog? Well, sorry you need to leave. Now. For the future, work with your dog extensively or leave the dog at home.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
vtjballeng;94944 wrote: 1) The alternative may be a NO DOGS ALLOWED policy. Given the choice I'd rather be forward with people and bruise some egos rather than prevent people from coming because they don't have a dog sitter
speaking of sitters...what are you doing the weekend of Dec 12-13??:poorguy::p

vtjballeng

lemondrop;94959 wrote: speaking of sitters...what are you doing the weekend of Dec 12-13??:poorguy::p
Haha, nice. You can still take your pack in 2009. Looks like next year we may have to get a dog sitting rotation set up. I've got an in-house dog trainer here if she isn't at the track with me. I think my whole pack of dogs and cats weighs less than your great dane.