Dragging Feet in GP

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
i know this discussion has been round the world last year.....but these guys are damn near stepping off their bikes.....and last year it seemed like it was the clutch side...i have seen rossi do it on both sides....what the!?!?!?!

Burnall4

Taken from another forum, from their MotGp thread

Pre-race interview with Rossi, Dutch broadcast of Assen (this year's race). It was video, I typed it up, almost word for word.

Q: You've ridden a lot of bikes: 125, 250, 500, 990, 800. Which one was the most fun to ride?
A: I think the 500 was the most fun to ride because the power was wild, the bike was light and not electronic system. So I think 500 was the most impressive.

Q: Do you see yourself ever getting married and living with kids in the Tuscan hills, or do you want to stay in the motorcycle business forever?
A: No, I want to stay in the motorcycle not business... on the motorcycle track. To ride as more as possible. And after I will start to think about the family, but I'm not ready yet.
Q: 2 kids, 3 kids, 4 kids, 5 kids?
A: I think 1 is already enough!

Q: If you had the chance to get your own racing team, which two riders would you pick from the past, or now, or the future, whatever.
A: Ah ok, so not me... Kevin Schwantz and Waine Rainey.
Q: Why?
A: Because with Schwantz we have fun and a lot of brave, and with Rainey we have more constant and more points.

Q: This question was the most send in question of all. You have a lot of rituals before the race. But you also grab your ass and your crotch when you leave the pit lane. Is there something wrong with your underpants?
A: Yes, yes it's true! But maybe I had something wrong with my underpants in the past, you know? Now I think my underpants are ok, but is more something from.. uhh... nervous.

Q: You've been without a world champion title in the last two years, have you ever given up hope?
A: No, never giving up hope. Also, if I pass through a difficult period especially last year, also after 2006 where I lost at the last race... I never give up hope. I always think that we have the potential to come back on the crown.

Q: During the races we always see you lift your left leg, and most of the time with left corners, why is that?
A: So is nothing I decide... when I arrive to deep in braking... without thinking I take out the foot, the left foot. But I don't know why. Seriously! My impression is that I am able to stop the bike better, but I don't know if it's true.

Q: From Casey Stoner (he asked in Barcelona): How do you come up with fantastic helmets, special deliveries, and post race celebrations?
A: It is like my hobby, you know. When I have free time at home, I like to think of the special helmet, or some special celebration. In general it is to have some fun, to make something different. For the helmet, the delivery and the celebration I have more famous, I mean I have have more fans and I continue. But it's like a hobby. Also I have Aldo Drudi, the designer of the helmet that work already with Graziano... that eh, we are close friends so me each other like in Mugello, and after hour and hour we have some stupid idea like the face.
Q: Was that your best helmet ever?
A: I think so, one of the best.

Q: And now, what is your quesiont for Nicky?
A: What he think... in Valencia 2006... when the first time he see in his board Rossi out?

Burnall4

No I don't have the link sorry, it was transcribed in the post...i will see if i can dig it up though

I can't find it, but the post came from that SFBay riders forum, the really big one...

Burnall4

lemondrop;50788 wrote: so no reason.....
well reading more about it others claim its because of late braking at extreme speeds and G forces...also scrubbing speed...but pretty much no really reason.

crewnutz

some riders do it..........some dont

ive found myself unknowingly doing it at times in certain turns........i know a few WERA racers that do it......

doing it certainly wont make you Rossi though ;)

Burnall4

crewnutz;50800 wrote: some riders do it..........some dont

ive found myself unknowingly doing it at times in certain turns........i know a few WERA racers that do it......

doing it certainly wont make you Rossi though ;)

They could take Rossi's brain and put it in my body and I could still never be Rossi, he is an anomaly and the coolest part he is humble and a giant kid, got to love it!

BigKid

We asked the same question at Freddie Spenser school last year. They said it may be a re weighting of the peg. What that means is even if you have two lefts very close together you should always re weight your inside peg between corners to assure that you are in the proper body position. Otherwise it may just be a habit formed by this re weighting.

lemondrop

BigKid;50820 wrote: We asked the same question at Freddie Spenser school last year. They said it may be a re weighting of the peg. What that means is even if you have two lefts very close together you should always re weight your inside peg between corners to assure that you are in the proper body position. Otherwise it may just be a habit formed by this re weighting.
i can understand that.....but shite...did you see him...it was dirty-track style going into some of those turns!?!?!?!

ta2kutz

yeah now he does it on rights too.
i think it may be a little flat track style creeping in on them. but hell i dont go fast enough to try and figure it out.
i guess i would noty recommend doing this at a nesba day............
you might not realize you just told the guy behind you that you are coming off pace......

clockworkjon

lemondrop;50856 wrote: i can understand that.....but shite...did you see him...it was dirty-track style going into some of those turns!?!?!?!
Ya that was interesting. I knew he did it, and I've seen other racers do it but I never really paid attention. He had that leg all the way out there at Motegi.

I think Bayliss did that a lot too. Two champions, maybe there's something to it...

clockworkjon

Burnall4;50873 wrote: Rossi, Pedrosa, Stoner, and Rossi's team mate all did it yesterday, a LOT!

Just watched the second half of the race on lunch and ya, they're all doing it! I mean I know they're the best in the world, but what if they miss the peg? Its crazy! I saw Rossi with his inside foot dangling off while
he was leaning into a turn.

lemondrop

sobottka;50939 wrote: it happens when you adjust your foot position (from arch to ball of foot etc.) while braking hard.
sounds like they are a bunch-o-wussies if they cannot hold their feet on the pegs under extreme braking....

i do not think this is the answer...

maybe there is no answer...maybe it is like the straight brimmed hat, or the wristband over the forearm look, or the half t-shirt on look, maybe even similar to the MC hammer pants....i dont know:notsure:

Revvin' Evan

When I rode with Rossi at an open practice day earlier this year in Spain. I gave it a try. Improved my lap times by about a half a second. Probably just a mental thing though, not an actual physical gain.

chaun

Hanging the leg out creates drag... You can verify this by getting your bike up to speed and hanging your leg out, if there is no drag then no effort would be required on your part to stablize the leg or your body position.