Dragging Feet in GP

pearsonm

chaun;50996 wrote: Hanging the leg out creates drag...
I believe hanging a knee out would give the same effect but with more control. In one of his books Keith Code talks about hanging a knee out while on the banked section of Daytona to aerodynamically aid in getting the bike turned.

It doesn’t make any intuitive sense but there must be something to the method because half the field was doing it yesterday.

sobottka

maybe it creates aero lift, un-weighting the front wheel threrfore allowing for harder braking......... :D

dmb367

All those riders use a reverse GP shift pattern. They only do it coming down from faster sections, i.e. they have been upshifting (GP shift, toe on top). They come down super hard on the brakes and have to go from the top of the shifter to the bottom. Their forward momentum forces the foot forward before they can get their toe under and hook a downshift.

Bluenvy

dmb367;51031 wrote: All those riders use a reverse GP shift pattern. They only do it coming down from faster sections, i.e. they have been upshifting (GP shift, toe on top). They come down super hard on the brakes and have to go from the top of the shifter to the bottom. Their forward momentum forces the foot forward before they can get their toe under and hook a downshift.
best explanation i've heard yet

snikwad

stoner never did it till the raised his pegs higher.
the best answer ive heard, and believe, is with the GP shift you have to go under, so youre done banging out the gears, you move your foot out and back, but youre so hard on the brakes that sometimes moving back, your feet swings fwd under the G force, so it dangles a bit then somewhere along that time, you make a greater effort to put it back on the peg.

Now others will say, oh, but Rossi does it on both sides now, true, but Rossi also uses the rear brake when going into turns, so maybe in going from brake pedal back to the "toes on the peg" postition, the G force dangle kicks in.

Rossi ir weird anyway, he is one of the hardest and latest brakers in thebusiness, yet he brakes with 4 or 3 fingers at a time. How he boutbrakes others and gets back on the gas before them when using 4 fingers is a beyond me.

snikwad

dont believe the momentum theory? get some SIDI boots with some worn out smooth soles and not have grippy ass pegs like vortex that moon sells and have that foot slip off the rearsest when braking hard for a turn, and see how the picsofyou.com guy will make you look like that #46 wearing fellow from Itally too.

plus if Rossi did it because he felt it gave him some edge, he wouldnt tell.

snikwad

Another theory I just thought of. Maybe they've been doing too much supermoto. Rossi, hayden, stoner, they all do supermoto during the off season. Maybe the SM habits are crossing over into GP when they've got a similar corner to brake for

????

Jiggy

Control Rider
snikwad;51118 wrote: Another theory I just thought of. Maybe they've been doing too much supermoto. Rossi, hayden, stoner, they all do supermoto during the off season. Maybe the SM habits are crossing over into GP when they've got a similar corner to brake for

????
Here is video of Hayden and Biaggi doing smoto. Most of the video of them backing it in shows them keeping their foot grounded to the peg, and sometime releasing in mid corner. Dunno, its late but I remembered that video after you posted. Just thought i would throw it out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDbWSkTwJdk&feature=PlayList&p=B5952CF5A2F5C8F8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=46

physicistkev

Control Rider
I can only speak for when I have done it. Usually happens to me at Summit going into turn 3. It's usually from trying to reposition my left foot after up shifting while being leaned over heavy on the gas in 2. I just get the bike straight and it's time to brake for 3. I have to reset my foot and it usually is easier to pull it off and then place it back on the peg.

This only happens if I run real wide on 2 and can't get reset before "entering" turn 3. I have no motocross experience, so it's not a learned thing. I would also say it's not the most comfortable thing either. I end up putting most if not all of my weight on my hands to avoid crushing the jewels. I would consider it a cockup on my part since I can't get settled before entering the corner, but at least I know I can do it if it's necessary.

Clarus

I think what you have to keep in mind is that not everything these guys do is Gospel done to make you milliseconds faster. Look at Leon Haslam in World Superbike. He flaps his legs like a chicken when he downshifts. Why? He has no idea, he doesn't even know he's doing it, but there he goes, trying to 'fly' off the bike.

Sure maybe it creates extra 'drag', maybe it helps his foot get under the peg better... but come on guys... he's just doing what he's doing. Same with all the other riders that drag their feet.

chaun

I'm sticking with Drag, Turn-in and balance... At Motegi race it was the right leg he was throwing out.

If it were G-Force, wouldn't we see the same from more of the GP riders?

I just can't accept that Rossi isn't in full control of his bike and body position. These theory's blow.
moon.gif