Dragging Feet in GP

Meat

snikwad;51138 wrote: i really think its a G force swinging the foot fwd and nothing more.
I have no clue why they do it, but how many g's can these bike possibly pull on the brakes? 2 g's (total guess on what I would think would be the high side) would only be twice the weight of them raising their leg off the ground while laying down. Seems like that wouldn't be a problem.

Now I can see doing it for ventilation :)

snikwad

Meat;51227 wrote: I have no clue why they do it, but how many g's can these bike possibly pull on the brakes? 2 g's (total guess on what I would think would be the high side) would only be twice the weight of them raising their leg off the ground while laying down. Seems like that wouldn't be a problem.

Now I can see doing it for ventilation :)
dont hold yourself back the next time you brake for T10A at raod atlanta and see how much G force there is.
then double that as these guys brake harder and later.
i bet you if you take your foot off the peg while braking hard and just let it relax, dont hold it back it would do the same thing

Meat

snikwad;51243 wrote: dont hold yourself back the next time you brake for T10A at raod atlanta and see how much G force there is.
then double that as these guys brake harder and later.
i bet you if you take your foot off the peg while braking hard and just let it relax, dont hold it back it would do the same thing
I am usually straining too hard, keeping my belly in for the camera, to try and hold anything else back coming into 10a. For now, my feet are going to stay on the pegs whenever possible.

ta2kutz

i still dont buy the g force thing. and shifter arguement.
last year it was rossi's left leg a little off. this year its half the field and now val is doing it on rights too.
not to mention if trying to avoid the g effects why does he stick it out further and lower than ever before. keeping it in and up would prevent it from pulling on the foot.
sorry i dont buy the g-force theory.
i think its another rossi ritual.... dude has some crazy rituals at a race.

NoBull

I believe there is a very good reason these guys are doing it. I don't know what the reason is, but I believe you have to go very close to their speeds to notice the difference. The reason they're always dodging the question is they don't want to give away their secret. The reason Keith Code says it's G forces is because he doesn't go fast enough to notice the difference. Some of these guys have found something that allows them to gain a 10th or 2 at the limit.

chaun

I ride "B" and do it all the time... I'm like, blow your mind, super fast.
redflip.gif

kidding... kidding...

awhicker

I'm a beginner with some dirt experience and while none of us know for sure, I'm surprised by the amount of confusion on this. I guess the first time I saw this I just took it as the riders resetting themselves. I know I'm not fast, but I am very comfortable on my gyroscopic bike. If I can picture myself being super fast and very skilled for a moment and I was coming into a turn and needed my leathers to shifted, my butt placed in a different position, my balls of my feet shifted, I could see doing this move and I could see enjoying doing it. It would let me know I was set up just right for the turn ahead. It seems like if youre comfortable doing it, it could be a lot more effective than trying to slide this, pivot my foot here, etc. Why not just start all over again and get the body positioned correctly without trying to do all this minute manuevering?

avizpls

#11-A
Many people did that as a "oh shit" response as a new rider. When I saw Pros doing that, I always looked at it as "Oh, look, Hopkins thought he was pushing a little too hard in that corner." and I think that may be all it is. Not a uncontrolleed instinctive reaction, mind you, but a reaction none the less. I see and always have seen way more than just Rossi doing it. Its just that when you are watching them trying to make yourself faster (it can be done by looking at a TV, really...) who is the camera on? Rossi. Damn near always.

when I am full throttle, my pointer finger is vert in the air.
Does that make me faster? no.
Is there a real reason I do it? none conscious.
Do people try and imitate that? Doubt it.
If I were an 8 time world champ and on national TV would forums pop up about "Why is Woos finger in the air??" Probably.

snikwad

avizpls;51566 wrote: Many people did that as a "oh shit" response as a new rider. When I saw Pros doing that, I always looked at it as "Oh, look, Hopkins thought he was pushing a little too hard in that corner." and I think that may be all it is. Not a uncontrolleed instinctive reaction, mind you, but a reaction none the less. I see and always have seen way more than just Rossi doing it. Its just that when you are watching them trying to make yourself faster (it can be done by looking at a TV, really...) who is the camera on? Rossi. Damn near always.

when I am full throttle, my pointer finger is vert in the air.
Does that make me faster? no.
Is there a real reason I do it? none conscious.

Do people try and imitate that? Doubt it.
If I were an 8 time world champ and on national TV would forums pop up about "Why is Woos finger in the air??" Probably.
yes there is, i bet you ride and cover the brake with the said bugger finger, and when you tuck and roll back, because its always out covering the brakes it just point up as you roll back and it no longer touches the brake.

How do i know, because i noticed i do it too.

these pros arent superhuman in EVERY way, for the most part theyre human just like us, and their bodies work the same way, it all just does things at a much higher speed than we can imagine.

awhicker

My reason for guessing the way I have is because when I have seen it, it was during low traffic times. Thats obvious for a couple reason, but if the rider only does it when he has time and space to do it, it means it is something the rider does that he thinks is faster overall. If he has the time and space to "reset" himself at a turn requiring massive braking before hand, why not? I saw this in a superbike race and it seemed to be only on sharp turns after high speed straights. Not kinks or chicanes.

snikwad

^ or maybe its when they have no one beside them fighting for a space or going into a hard turn from high speed, and they are more comfortable and then they dangle it.

Bluenvy

awhicker;51541 wrote: I'm a beginner with some dirt experience and while none of us know for sure, I'm surprised by the amount of confusion on this. I guess the first time I saw this I just took it as the riders resetting themselves. I know I'm not fast, but I am very comfortable on my gyroscopic bike. If I can picture myself being super fast and very skilled for a moment and I was coming into a turn and needed my leathers to shifted, my butt placed in a different position, my balls of my feet shifted, I could see doing this move and I could see enjoying doing it. It would let me know I was set up just right for the turn ahead. It seems like if youre comfortable doing it, it could be a lot more effective than trying to slide this, pivot my foot here, etc. Why not just start all over again and get the body positioned correctly without trying to do all this minute manuevering?

wut?:doh: