Beginner or Intermediate

almano

Nexus;23700 wrote: Interesting debate...

I just want to clear something up. If the first time you ever attend a NESBA event you register as "Beginner" are you stuck in there until a CR gives you the bump? Not meaning the same day but lets say you register for future trackdays are you locked out from registering as an "Intermediate"?

But if a guy registers for his first trackday as "Intermediate" there's a chance he could stay there for as long as he likes as long as he doesn't get demoted to B or bumped to A?

===

This is a good topic with good discussion but I do not fully understand if you are "locked" into Beginner if that's what you register as the first time.
Yes, exactly how it works. This is how I fu..ed up. I thought (someone told me) that i MUST start in B group with NESBA. I registered and signed up for B. After a month my friends also came to NESBA, we were doing 3-4 trackdays already with other organizers in the I group. They signed up for I group for first, because they figured out that they can... Now I am still stuck in the B group and they having fun in the I...:banghead:

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
if you're really that fast it shouldnt take you very long to get bumped, and traffic should not really be a factor either. Just sign up for :b: and have fun.

Meat

Emerson;23802 wrote: if you're really that fast it shouldnt take you very long to get bumped, and traffic should not really be a factor either. Just sign up for :b: and have fun.
:agree::agree::agree:

If someone's abilities are so far ahead of the group they are in, it will be very obvious to everyone including the CR's.

Nexus

I guess it's a catch.

People sign up for "I" the first time and can stay there. They might be on the slower end of the group but they are still in "I". Where a guy who's on the faster side of "B" might be stuck there for awhile because of how he registered for the first time with NESBA. The "B" guy might be faster, smoother, safer, whatever then the guy on the slow end of "I" but he's could be stuck there for several trackdays. All this while the guy in "I" is chilling :p

--

Anyway this is a good discussion. I've been away from riding for 7 years and have done trackdays, Learning Curves and CCS races in the past. A few of my friends were having this same discussion about what group I would register as when I return to motorcycles.

JGardy_781

Emerson;23802 wrote: if you're really that fast it shouldnt take you very long to get bumped, and traffic should not really be a factor either. Just sign up for :b: and have fun.
Emerson's exactly correct. A guy/girl in "B" who should be in "I" looks like he's been dropped a class, and is just cherry picking slower riders. Traffic won't present a problem to him/her while making use of class passing restrictions, and by the time they're moved, they're having a blast riding around everyone else in their class, and CR's WILL find them.

Same thing holds true on the movement from "I" to "A".

People who piss and moan that no one is "giving" them the bump, and that they should have signed up in a higher class initially don't belong in that higher class.

Bottom line, if you have to ask anyone else what class you should register in, you should register in "B".

rk97

^ Amen. And Emerson would know. I watched him passing people like they were standing still at JC. That was his last "I" session.

JGardy_781

rk97;23920 wrote: ^ Amen. And Emerson would know. I watched him passing people like they were standing still at JC. That was his last "I" session.
Emerson still passes me like I'm standing still - he did in :i: and he does in :a:

stephenjpauls

I’m still mid pack ‘B’ and I have done 5 track days. I’m quite sure that after my next two days at Barber I’ll still be in ‘B’ group, and will probably remain in ‘B’ group for the next 6+ track days after that. At my last track day I met a guy who did almost 30 days in ‘B’ before a bump to ‘I’. I did ride with “another org” for one of my 5 days and was one of the 3 fastest of their ‘B’ group, their ‘I’ group was full so I stayed in ‘B’ the whole day but was told to sign up for ‘I’ my next time… Rather than that I’m going to stick with NESBA, because this other orgs ‘I’ group they had way too much variance, which lead to 6 red flags that day and 2 bike on bike incidents in the same day just in the ‘I’ group.

I understand the frustration of being stuck behind a slower rider, as I frequently am. Funny thing is, others seem to get around me and the slower rider with ease... As I get better, I’ll feel more confident passing those slower riders and I figure they won’t frustrate me as much.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, just because you have done 6 track days does not mean you’re ready for ‘I’ group, I know I won’t be. Also just because you are in ‘I’ group with another org doesn’t mean that you are ready for ‘I’ group with NESBA. I really like NESBA, I’m glad that they have individuals who are very competent at determining my skill level and will let me know when I’m ready. I know I’m on a slower learning curve than many of you, but I have met a number of people who have done well more than 6 track days and still are in ‘B’ group. Each individual has their own learning curve in this sport. I would suggest signing up for ‘B’ group, line up at the front of the pack and see what the CRs have to say.

To the OP, NESBA does have a morning session (I think its 20 – 30 minutes) and that’s it. It’s not like the other org I tried where we spent 30 min of every hour in classroom. Doing a second day attending those classes every session would be very frustrating, especially if you had other things to do between session (like work on your bike, or hang with your friends.)

JGardy_781

stephenjpauls;23946 wrote: I’m still mid pack ‘B’ and I have done 5 track days. I’m quite sure that after my next two days at Barber I’ll still be in ‘B’ group, and will probably remain in ‘B’ group for the next 6+ track days after that. At my last track day I met a guy who did almost 30 days in ‘B’ before a bump to ‘I’.
Just looked at my event list in the NESBA account thingie -

I did 17 days in B before getting bumped to I.

I did 31 days in I before getting bumped to A.

Some of us are slow learners!

Lars

jimgl3;23989 wrote: damn! on the tracks i like that's $3,400 to get from B to I !!!

Jim you better start selling out of your goods :D

To me B gr should be the only entry gr.

First timers with NESBA could be instructed to contact a CR that could evaluate them if they think they should be in another gr.

Nobody should tell me, that passing is not an issue in B!
I like Summit Main but no passing between T3 and T9 is a killer. I pit out twice to get some open track and end up in traffic before T5 both times :doh:

Cu @ the track,
Lars

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Lars;24012 wrote:
I like Summit Main but no passing between T3 and T9 is a killer. I pit out twice to get some open track and end up in traffic before T5 both times :doh:

Cu @ the track,
Lars

you can pass after 3 with a good drive and you can pass between 4 and 5 on the brakes. If you ever get a chance take a bike or a scooter or whatever and go to that section of the track you'll see that there is a long way between the apex of 4 and turn in of 5 where just about everybody brakes early, its a great spot to pass

Lars

Emerson;24014 wrote: you can pass after 3 with a good drive and you can pass between 4 and 5 on the brakes. If you ever get a chance take a bike or a scooter or whatever and go to that section of the track you'll see that there is a long way between the apex of 4 and turn in of 5 where just about everybody brakes early, its a great spot to pass
I was on Main in June and No passing allowed from T3 to T9.
Some did and they was told not to or leave.

Else you are right, it would be great places to pass.

Cu @ the track,
Lars

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Lars;24018 wrote: I was on Main in June and No passing allowed from T3 to T9.
Some did and they was told not to or leave.

Else you are right, it would be great places to pass.

Cu @ the track,
Lars
OOOOPS i used to pass there all the time, i had no idea it wasn't allowed, i even did it while CRs were following me and it was never brought to my attention. I think its not allowed in the morning and then depending on how the group is behaving they "open" it for passing in the afternoon.

barry38

Lars;24022 wrote: I am not sure if it is a new rule or not.

Cu,
Lars
Typically we don't allowing passing there in the morning. Depending on how things are going, we will open up passing between 3 and 4 after lunch. There is not a hard fast rule.

lindr6

Back in Sept. they allowed it but no passing between 3 & 4 which made it easier to set them up for a pass after apex on 4. Good Times

JGardy_781

barry38;24028 wrote: Typically we don't allowing passing there in the morning. Depending on how things are going, we will open up passing between 3 and 4 after lunch. There is not a hard fast rule.
Like the directors and CRs say in the riders meeting, the riders at the event control the complexion of the day. If everyone is riding smart in the AM, passing zones get opened up in "B" in the PM - used to happen constantly if the morning sessions were running well.

If the CRs can't trust everyone to operate within the rules in the morning at a naturally slower pace, it's just asking for trouble to mix varying rider abilities, still developing senses of judgement at speed, at a naturally faster afternoon pace and (within the complex between T3 and T9 at Main, for example), very, very fast passing areas with very, very little runoff in case a mistake in judgement happens...

Anyway, passing restrictions are there to help you develop as a rider in as safe a manner as possible (considering the nature of the passtime itself) - it's not because "the man" likes to chuckle in his helmet behind you as you feel held up by the guy in front of you.

Meat

stephenjpauls;23946 wrote: I’m still mid pack ‘B’ and I have done 5 track days. I’m quite sure that after my next two days at Barber I’ll still be in ‘B’ group, and will probably remain in ‘B’ group for the next 6+ track days after that.......

I guess what I’m trying to say is, just because you have done 6 track days does not mean you’re ready for ‘I’ group, I know I won’t be.......

I really like NESBA, I’m glad that they have individuals who are very competent at determining my skill level and will let me know when I’m ready. I know I’m on a slower learning curve than many of you, but I have met a number of people who have done well more than 6 track days and still are in ‘B’ group. Each individual has their own learning curve in this sport. I would suggest signing up for ‘B’ group, line up at the front of the pack and see what the CRs have to say.
Steve,

Fantastic attitude and it sounds like you have a good grip on reality with respect to your riding skills. It seems like the lower the group level, the greater the gap between perceived ability and actual ability.....but that is just my experience.

Like everyone else that was a front rider in B-group, I was dominating B group (another part of the country) and really loved passing everyone. Sure I was held up every now and then but not that often.