Number one thing to improve NESBA

RandyO

a few of the points made: (coming from a relative newb here)

First time jitters: I think this is a good thing for guys to have.. too much confidence or security could prompt a guy to ride beyond his ability.. with only a 2 or 3 new guys? does not make a lot of sense to put a lot of resources into hand holding unless they ask specifically.. (Do let them know help is there)

Feedback in B group: I poked my nose up front and asked... I had 2 guys watching my riding and got more feedback than I could handle at first.. My last 3 sessions at Putnam had a CR with me almost full time getting me to fix my "style" I think the key is to "ask" these guys are great if they know you want help so far..

$75 Membership dues.. a single "intro" session is barely enough to get some of the butterflies and fear out of your system.. It took me 3 or 4 sessions to finally breath, and enjoy the ride a little..

If I am going to plan on running an entire day, I have the track fees and the membership dues.. That adds pretty dramatically to the "test" session to see if I am going to enjoy this sport/hobby..

I can go over to a competing track day group and save half the fee.. May not sound like much but take into account I needed tires, travel money, new gloves, a reason not to get divorced etc.. by the time the dust settles, every dime starts to count..

I chose NESBA due to a friend that absolutely DEMANDED I start with NESBA.. Otherwise? the $35 or $0 fees of the other groups would have certainly swayed me over to their organization.. I would think it would be in the interest of NESBA to get as many "newbs" as possible at an event (Putnam had I think 3 the day I started) and 2 on my third day?

Heck add $5 to the event fee and kill off some of that "deterrent" fee.. If I make 6 track days, you got them money anyway and I feel better about trying out a full day..

Now that I have 3 track days, the $75 is not that big a deal (and I know the help has been worth the money) but that is in hindsight.. I ride with a pretty large group of guys (we have 100+ bikes show at our MnG's) and I have heard too many times about the membership fee... (guys seem pretty strapped this year for the few extra $$)

Really is a great place to ride so far :) not sure letting new guys register right to the "I" group is a good idea..

xlink

The economy is still loosing jobs, and people are not only loosing income but health coverage as well. Nobody in their right mind would go to the track without having health insurance, and with nesba members registering for less track days, nesba needs to reach out to more street riders to make up the difference.

Think about it - a street rider needs:
1. leathers - used or new - $200 to $700 (or rent one for $50 - a great but very poorly advertised option)
2. Boots - $100 to $300
3. membership fee $75
4. Track fee

it get's expensive and every little bit helps...i'm always trying to get my friends out to watch - I know they just need to see it and they will be hooked...so far only one has made it to the track and he ended up doing 4 track days with nesba last year

JRA

RE: Transponders and Mylaps

Insurance rules and regulations aside, who would be in charge of this service? Someone would have to be responsible for renting these things out, collecting the money, checking them back in, and uploading the information to Mylaps. As a CR I can tell you that we certainly don't have time for this. That leaves the Directors and they don't have the time either. Your lap times can easily be recorded by purchasing a lap timer or by just having a friend with a stop watch.

Lap times are important in racing so that you can see how you stack up against your competitors. Lap times at a track day are important only so that you can see your own improvement. If that's important to you then buy a timer or ask a friend.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I personally don't see a problem with the $75 annual membership fee. Here in the northeast, two of the other local clubs charge that amount. The one mentioned that charges about $35 a year has a $5 gate fee at most events, so if you do a lot of events, you'll end up paying more than $75. Just my opinion.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I think too much is being made of the membership fee. I would pay double what it is now. Buying parts and tires through NESBA will make it back in no time. How many other orgs are willing to refund your money if the weather makes the track unsafe? Or give you a half day credit if you crash before lunch?

If it scares some people off, good. Those who are willing to pay will take it more serious and make for a safer/ less "squidly" event. Nesbians are in this sport for the long haul.

Advertising is for BUSINESSES. As far as I know, NESBA is not a business. It's more of a club, and the CR's are way better than other orgs.

There's a reason the NESBA:a: sticker garners so much respect in the trackday world. It's because you earn it. Other orgs let you buy their 'A' sticker because they want as many slots filled as possible.

(end rant)

RandyO

ok was not trying to start a debate on the membership fee, just injecting one of the factors I had to address before riding 1 track day with a group.. (I am just a new guy here sorry)

Sleeping Psycho

I strongly agree with what Jim said, which I have pasted below. I think he hit the nail on the head IMO.

1. More structured beginner group. Assign the same CR to 5 or 6 riders based on their relative skill level, adjust as necessary during the day. More classroom lessons between each session. Veteran beginner group members can choose to attend or not, but new people must attend each session.

2. Furnish free loaner leathers to intro riders. Structure intro sessions throughout the day if numbers become a problem. You have to get riders as they are starting in order to keep them.

3. Assign CR mentors to beginner and intermediate riders rather than have us just depend on the luck of the draw on who knows what about our skill level and history.

4. Have regular evaluations of all beginner and intermediate riders to set goals, identify weakness and strengths and have a clear understanding of what it takes to move to the next level.

5. Have regular "tech days" like the one brother Wink hosts each year, but sponsered by NESBA.

I'll think of some more stuff after I get back this evening......
NESBA I

vanbreezy

I love nesba. As a member of this club for 4 years I don't have many suggestions if any. The only thing i can think of is. Before you join YOU HAVE to read the manual. Most of the suggestions about bike prep, suit rentals and the like are found there. I find that most Riders don't look for feedback from the CR's. So people leave feeling like there was no instruction but you have to seek it out. This is an expensive hobby. Nesba has A intro group. and i think you can rent a suit for that day do that before you join. The 75 bucks is a commitment. I didn't even do a intro i just joined because i knew once i got on the track 2 sessions wasn't going to be enough. I was lucky enough to have friends who were into he track so i had them to instruct me on what to expect. So i feel word or mouth is great but i ride mostly in the mid -atlantic and will travel to the southeast for some days as well. Most of those days book up quick so for selfish reason i don't want any advertising :D

I see alot of good stuff here but honestly if you go up to a CR or any member and ask for help you will receive it in most cases so mandating these things takes any from the atmosphere i love this club for.

The help is already there waiting for you.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
wow.....

anyways, when I first started with NESBA, CR's were scary. Mainly because I didn't know who was who when we came off the track. The CR intro during the beginner's meeting is nice, but its like introducing someone at a halloween party. not sure who is on what bike makes it difficult.

BUMPS - I think it would be a great idea for a bump evaluation to actually have that rider get a final evaluation in the aspired group. Little story, I thought I was late to the grid and threw my stuff on and went out, lined up. I went out and 2 laps later the checkered flag was waving....I was a little purplexed, but as we were coming off the track I looked around and realized that it was all I riders. Funny as it was, I was thinking during those two laps that the B group just got real fast real quick. What had happened was there was a red flag towards the end of the session of the I group, but still time for the I group to go back out.

Anyways, point of the story is that prior to a bump into a next level, maybe an eval in the actual environment that they are going to be in is a good thing.

Other than that, as for the membership fees, maybe a member and nonmember price for the trackdays. I know I would not like my TD's to go up by $10..as my "membership fee" would be $200 a year then. However, I can see where it is tough to justify for a newb to cash out $75 if they are only planning on 1-2 days a year.

finny47

How 'bout if you make a 1000 posts :hand:
on the forum yet still ride in the B group, you get bumped back to Intro. :D

Seriously though, I've been a active member little over a year now. I like the idea of follow up with the B group riders after the morning sessions. Maybe not the seasoned B group riders, but those guys that have say...5 or less track days.
The challenge with getting help initially in B is getting comfortable with asking for help. The green B's might appreciate a little more structure and off-track training on for those first couple track days.

Having body position lessons off the track would be a plus, too.

TheGrouch

1. Warp the space-time continuum so Grouch has time to ride again.
2. Permit Grouch to speak in the 3rd person on a permanent basis.

rk97

Are a lot of us ASSUMING the goal of this feedback is to drive up membership? I think that happens organically if you're keeping your existing members happy.

here's the thing about the $75 membership - it's chump change in the grand scheme of things (one half-day crash or rain credit that other orgs don't offer, and you're past even), BUT if you're doing your first track weekend, all of the sudden a $330-$400 weekend turns into a $400+ weekend by default. Plus leather rental, etc.

IF the goal is to get more new members, then yeah, a "$200-250 complete package" deal, including membership and leather rental for your first day is great.

But honestly, I don't know that you want a huge influx of first-timers. That slows down B group, which is already usually pretty full. What's empty with NESBA? "A" group. I admit i'm speculating, but I firmly believe that one of the main reason's STT allows people to choose their own group is because "I" and "N" are easy to fill. So the frustrated "I" guys register in "A," and they get more $$.

I like that NESBA requires a bump.

If we're talking dream additions:

- I'd love to see Mid-Ohio on the schedule.
- I'd love to see Grattan BACK
- 2 day tech FOR GEAR. I want the bike checked as often as possible, but lugging my leathers and boots through tech on day 2 gets old.
- have a CR (or some other volunteer) on the grid checking gear. I almost pulled off the pits with my leathers unzipped about 8 inches... I've also forgotten my back protector before.

and i like a lot of things NESBA is already doing. $575 in credits for $500 is awesome. Rain/crash insurance makes a bad day a little better. CR instruction has always been top-notch. And I like that CR's will actively seek you out (on and off the track) to teach you.

to me, NESBA is more about improving your riding than any other org. The other guys are just out there to have fun - which is fine, but I have more fun when I'm improving.

rk97

since we're thinking out loud:

the burden of running NESBA consistently falls on the Directors, Assistant directors, and CR's shoulders. I know i'm nowhere near skilled enough to CR, but i'd be happy to help out in some other capacity.

you don't want too many cooks in the kitchen, but if there's some task at the track that requires manpower; the CR's are already doing a lot. ask for volunteers. It should help out the staff, AND build some 'ownership' in the club from its members.

something as simple as a gas-run, or picking up Lenny's breakfast ;-)

Matt

I was lucky enough to have Murf be my veteran coach for my first track day. Without someone like him around I would have been completely lost and not nearly as excited. I know sometimes we are low on CRs, but how about asking the Intro / new members to pit near a CR that is assigned to those members for at least the morning and by being near them will be accessible throughout the day. As a CR, I'd be happy to be pitted with the newer once in a while (rotating through the B group CRs or just making The Grouch do it if / when he ever shows up), to help coach riders through everything they need to do at a track day, both on and off the track.

Multiple B-group meetings. Maybe 3 total, one before the 1st session, and a meeting after the 1st and 2nd sessions. debriefing so to say. And Asking one or two B group CRs attend the meeting among the members would definitely help make the CRs more approachable.

Membership fee, A wise man had a really good suggestion.... A disappearing membership fee. Take a few bucks off a members first few events of the year. So many people do only one event per year. (I don't get how, I'm shaking from withdraw after a 2 weeks) Having a (albeit small) discount off the first, say 3 or so events of the year would definitely help draw the one a year guys out a few more times.

I must say I've always been extremely happy with NESBA and I enjoy my opportunity to help give back to our community. I consider everyone I ride with at NESBA a close friend and I trust everyone on the track more than anyone (nonNESBIAN) I'm in a race with. That to me is a huge thing.

equipt31

Coming from a B grouper...I think this was mentioned(edit-right above me) but it would be a good idea as I once rode with PTT and they had this: a mid-day, mini-riders meeting. I think it's a good idea because from when you start at 9am and head out at 1pm again alot can change. Sometimes the track surface goes from wet to dry or vice versa. Also, at 9am you don't know the quality of riders in the groups but maybe by lunch we could all discuss the pace, what to look for on the track, specific issues, any incidents. You can also get feedback from riders.
I know around lunch I am trying to recover a bit, eat, get ready for the next few sessions, so the shorter this meeting the better.
As far as money, it is alot but I will pay either way and do it gladly. I think promotions are great ideas. This winter we had great deals to buy track credits and there are still deals available. Buying a 2-day weekend and other promotions are good too but some seem out of reach unless you're massively invested here. I don't have the opportunity to travel across the country and do 15 days a year. Also, I think there used to be a deal for early purchase of a membership fee, where its 50 instead of 75 before some date, but I didn't see it this year (maybe I'm wrong)
Overall I'm very satisfied with NESBA and it's the only org I ride with.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
finny47;64278 wrote: How 'bout if you make a 1000 posts :hand:
on the forum yet still ride in the B group, you get bumped back to Intro. :D
does that mean i get 2 free sessions?

jas0336

I think NESBA is the shiznit but I agree with the following:

1) more structered :b: group...maybe class session or meeting between sessions, especially for first timers
2) "evaluation bump" to let a rider try a session or 2 with the next group to see if he is comfortable with the group pace or was he just having a good sesion or just comfortable at that specific track etc.

greeny

July 4th at blackhawk seems to be shaping ilup into quite an event. why not offer to waive the $75 membership fee for first timers and see how many people we can get to show up? it would be a nice way to show some of the new guys the type of family we are.

bfolkerts

I really like the "member / non-member" pricing. For the guys that are in town for one event - or guys that want to try the track.

I completely understand the concept of the membership - and how it's great to have rain and mechanical credits - don't get me wrong....but if you want more people to join - give them options.

I just remember last year NESBA had RA the days right before a CCS event, and all the racers griped about the membership fee. If you want more 'I' and 'A' guys out there - give the racers (ie: non-members) a higher one-time fee and waive the membership and their membership benefits (low cost parts / rain & crash insurance). It's not stuff they want - and I doubt they will gripe about not getting any refund if they crash.

As far as Noob's from the street. I hear a lot about how great STT (never been there) is great for new guys, and NESBA is great for I & A guys. Give the beginners as much instruction as they can handle - but make it optional. Being an 'A' guy myself - I'd be more than happy to give a seminar on body position, tech stuff, you name it - and give the CR's a break. But don't force people to go - if they don't want the info - don't force it on them.

We're pretty lucky over here in the Mid-Central because we have great dinners every Saturday night - but it does really help the members meet the CR's, and each other. Potlucks usually seem to bring a pretty big crowd at the Blackhawk events - so maybe just make it a tradition that all MW events are potluck - or a $5 dinner (for the moochers :) ). If you want to give wives / family member something to do - get them organized and have them prepare and cook dinner.

Lastly - we all know NESBA guys dominate the local races - and have for quite a while. Be proud of that - and maybe help spread the word at races. Give NESBA guys / CRs that race a giant NESBA banner / trailer size decal, and a bunch of NESBA literature.

New racers will quickly see "wow, these fast bastards are all apart of this NESBA cult...wtf am i missing?"

Just a few random thoughts...

jkrueger

From reading responses I would just like to add that I think the bump process is fine as is. I would not be in favor of the try the next group up for 2 sessions just to see how it goes.